1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

unaccredited degrees... whats the point?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by michaelbowe, Jun 1, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Did you get any credit for orientation? If so what did the orientation consist of and how many hours creited?

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Rev

For the record, I went to accredited schools. In my school there were two options for orientation, one for credit or without. I chose the non-credit route but I think you got the credit by doing a one or two page paper.

Today, I think everyone has to go through orientation for credit.

#42 Ruiz, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My orientation was a non-credit orientation. We had a couple days before the term started during which we had to attend orientation sessions.

The university where I am on staff does non-credit orientations. We do have an introductory education course that all students must take, but it deals with education, study skills, etc. It meets like a standard class and has several papers and other projects to complete.

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Mine was 2 hours for reading through the catalog and answering questions, received two course hours for the orientation.

5. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mean any disrespect with this question, but it does come up.

Are you stating that you don't want to devote the time necessary to getting the degree?

If that is the case, that is fine, but if an unaccredited degree can be obtained in the time in which an accredited one cannot be obtained, it is a clear indication that the unaccredited degree is not comparable to the accredited one.

That is the issue most have with unaccredited degrees.

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whitefield may be respected in some circles, but I do think that some of their credentials are a bit questionable. They have a "Doctor of Arts in Religion" degree that does not even require a dissertation. The PhD from there does require one, however.

The deal with R.C. Sproul is that his standing is not determined by the degree. I've heard it said before that Whitefield needed him more than he needed Whitefield. I agree with that statement.

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is why I wonder why he chose Whitefield. That credential didn't add one bit to his credibility. He already had enough.

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I messed up the quotation markers. That was actually not from me; it was from revmwc.

There are some unaccredited schools that are legitimate. My pastor, for instance, has an unaccredited bachelors that he used for admission to a regionally-accredited seminary, where he earned his MDiv and PhD. I don't doubt his undergraduate preparation.

I do question, however, the utility of many unaccredited degrees. I also have a major problem with schools offering ridiculous credentials, like PhD degrees when no one on faculty has a doctorate except from the unaccredited school itself.

IMO, ministry training schools should take the form of a certificate or diploma program. You could learn a lot without the negatives of an unaccredited degree.

9. PreacherBoi

PreacherBoi New Member

3 Years!

I worked on the degree: Doctor of Biblical Counseling with ATS for 3 years! I plan to finish my Th.D. with ATS alot sooner!:sleeping_2:

10. Siberian

Siberian New Member

There is no justification for this practice, and it is rampant in unaccredited institutions in Christian-circles. I think it is mostly an idolatry-driven clamoring after titles and respect.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Bogus credentials are not about "training."

12. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

You are correct, but I forgot DETC. However, I still believe ATS is the gold standard. I graduated from Liberty that does not hold ATS, and many question it.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No I am saying I have devoted enough time to classes and time to obtain a degree, but I would have to do all the work a second time to get degree from a school accredited by the state to have a real degree as you describe. The same work same courses everything all over again and a degree in a field I might not have even trained in.

14. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

A doctorate in three years is very short.

15. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I agree with the last part of this quotation. It seems unaccredited institutions make great CE setups, or certificate programs. However, the "degree" status makes it questionable.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yeah, leaves one to wonder.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Agreed, something is wrong with that picture. But recently I've heard Dr. Al Mohler, president of Southern seminary, say that churches should be the primary trainers of people entering ministry and seminary should only come along side the local churches. This is his vision.

With that said, matters of government accreditation becomes rather interesting.

#57 TCGreek, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

But government accredidation is required for many public school teachers, and public institutions you may want to work at. Of course MD's nad Lawyers have to go to accredited.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Doesn't the church have a say in all this?

20. PreacherBoi

PreacherBoi New Member

Ha!

Al Mohler's vision is to spread the message of Calvinism til it completely takes over the SBC!!!!:thumbs: