1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

unaccredited degrees... whats the point?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by michaelbowe, Jun 1, 2011.

1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Not if they want a fully accredited degree.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Again, filtered through the government system.

3. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

That is why many exceptional bible University won't get fully accredited, they don't want the state in their business. It sorta the same reason why many folks send their chilfren to private schools or home school them.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But don't get me wrong, there are pros and cons at work here. For example, RA ensure a certain quality that you would not find elsewhere. But of course there are exceptions, as in the case of a few UA institutions.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I don't know by who: most seminaries, such as Southern (an ATS accredited seminary, BTW), explicitly state that RA degrees are required for entrance into programs: for instance, there Doctoral programs require:

"A Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or its equivalent from a regionally accredited
    institution."

In regards to transfer credits...

"Students who are taking courses toward a degree program and who
    find themselves having to relocate may wish to complete some of their
    work at another regionally accredited school and then transfer courses
    back to Southern Seminary."

In fact, presently I am investigating various options for earning a D.Min. or and/or a Th.M: not one of the schools have said "your degree from Liberty is no good: we don't accept Regional Accreditation."

On the other hand: secular Universities have indeed turned down degrees for denominational schools, which have only ATS accreditation. ATS is viewed by these RA secular universities, as being "less than RA" and in fact in many cases, put them in the same boat with all the other National accreditation. Some Universities will tell you plainly that National accreditation is unacceptable, period, without distinction.

RA is the gold standard, everywhere. RA plus another NA accreditor, particularly ATS, is better. But RA is accepted everywhere.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Al Mohler is concerned with the gospel, and battling liberal compromise in doctrine. But I guess those two goals do overlap.

And you should say "Take back the SBC..."

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is possible, though.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not necessarily. As I mentioned before, some seminaries offer admission to some individuals with unaccredited undergraduate degrees. My pastor, for instance, attended a regionally accredited seminary after completing an undergraduate degree.

Liberty University (my graduate alma mater) has the following policy

Applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree from an unaccredited institution
    may be admitted to some master’s degree programs on
    Academic Probation status.

It is therefore possible to obtain an accredited credential even after obtaining an undergraduate degree. If your undergraduate preparation was sufficient, you should be able to demonstrate that by success in the graduate courses, which would remove you from probation.

I highly recommend some of the online programs at LU. You can get a Master of Arts in Theological Studies for 36 credit hours, and all of the courses are available online.

Regardless, the degrees are not "accredited by the state," anyway. The accreditation agencies are independent organizations. The CHEA in turn recognizes accreditation agencies.

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Though I subsequently completed a BTh from SATS, I initially got admitted to Liberty with a Bachelors degree from an unaccredited University...not a very well known, one, either...

10. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise the Lord for this!!! Makes me wish I went to Southern.... almost: GO SEBTS!!!

11. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I do not think I am clear here. I apologize. My MDiv from Liberty has never been questioned for its validity, it is regionally accredited! What I meant was, I am attending a ATS/RA school for my Ph.D. and some question why I didnt go a ATS route since I am staying in the theological world. Moreover, some do not think, key word think, Liberty is academically rigorous. Some have issue that I did it distance style. That is changing. Good luck on your DMin BTW!

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I know many profs of mine and others who got research doctorates in one to two years. It is INDEED possible.