1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unanswered Q's from KJBOism

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by DesiderioDomini, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same as he would direct someone to read something that has verses ADDED.

You have NOT proven your'missing' verses weren't ADDED in some other version & are therefore PROPERLY missing in others.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the above is an excellent example of the superiority of the KJV. Every single Hebrew manuscript in existence reads the same. So, the KJV translators honestly translated exactly what the Hebrew manuscripts say. I cannot say the same for many of the modern versions which change one of the verses to read the same as the other with absolutely no Hebrew manuscript evidence at all.

I am of the opinion it is terribly disingenuous to attack the KJV for not having any manuscript evidence in some places to support its readings then attack it again for following the manuscript evidence while praising the modern versions for a reading that has no manuscript evidence!

Can we all say double standard?

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I personally think the KJVO myth(not the KJV) is miSSING the whole meal, as it has NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT.

That's parta my PROOF that the KJVO myth is false. Where's YOURS that MVs are all bogus?

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew that, DC, but thanx for reminding everyone. If the sources can differ among themselves, why can't the versions?

5. standingfirminChrist

Geneva Notes explain the difference in the age of Jehoichin. He indeed did reign from 8 years of age, but with his father by his side. At eighteen, he was sole ruler.

2Ch 36:9
    Jehoiachin was eeight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.
    e. That is, he began his reign at eight years old, and reigned ten years when his father was alive, and after his father's death, which was in his eighteenth year, he reigned alone three months and ten days.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The Jehoiachin issue is evidence of the fact that both sides will go to extremes to try and prove the other wrong.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

SFIC said:

God's Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit that it is the infallable Word of God.

So what? Are all of Christendom's consciences now bound by your inner feelings?

8. standingfirminChrist

Ransom,

Your last three posts addressing me show nothing of a christian spirit.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

SFIC - to accuse others of being wrong based on how you claim the Holy Spirit has led you, and to question the leadership of the Holy Spirit in their lives is also questionable practice.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I believe it's evidence against the one-version notion. There were several books of Kings & Chronicles written, but the ones God chose as Scripture differ from each other in several places. And we have the oft-mentioned differences between Isaiah 42:7 and 61:1-3. If God allowed differences way back then, then why can't He allow them in the various translations of those old docs?

My point is, there's no exact word-for-word "standard" for Scripture down through the ages, and the claims of the KJVOs & other One-versionists are simply not true. This is borne out, not only by the above examples, but by the fact that no one language will translate 100% into any other...and it was GOD who made all languages.

11. standingfirminChrist

Again Bro,

Why would the Holy Spirit convict my heart to believe the KJV is the most accurate Word, and another's heart that something else is more accurate, and another something else...?

In the verses I posted above, some removed the Father and the Son all together. God inspirie? I don't believe so.

You may say that the words were added in the other translations instead of taken away in the ones, but I don't think God would say it was added at all.

It is saying the Holy Spirit is a respector of persons. Pointing one to a truth, and another to a lie.

12. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

SFIC said:

Your last three posts addressing me show nothing of a christian spirit.

I'm not so impressed with the "christian spirit" of someone who claims other Christians are not right with God because they don't get the same warm fuzzies as you do. I deal in facts, not feelings.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A most respected commentary, Jamison, Faucett, & Brown, says the same thing.

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if the Holy Spirit isn't convicting anyone about a specific version?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would you know?

The Chinese did all the time under communism. They memorized what they had which was little.

Would you believe that if one is guided by the Holy Spirit he would never sin? My Bible says that there is no one who continually does good and never sins. It doesn't take the Holy Spirit to tell me that, just a Bible.

16. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

SFIC:

Why would the Holy Spirit convict my heart to believe the KJV is the most accurate Word

There's no evidence apart from your own say-so that the Holy Spirit is leading you to anything.

17. standingfirminChrist

TCassidy,

Exactly! Which would show the KJV does not contradict itself at all when it says 8 in one verse and 18 in another.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree there are valid explanations for the seeming discrepancy. However, your "The Spirit led me" argument is bankrupt on the very face of it for it is entirely subjective. If Ransom says "I know the NIV is the superior version because the Holy Spirit led me to it" would you accept that as proof that the NIV is superior to the KJV? If not then why should anyone accept your subjective statement?

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You views here are 100% opinion - you have no Bible basis so to say that others are not led of the Spirit because they disagree with you is simply wrong and an unjust accusation.

20. standingfirminChrist

KJV 2 Chronicles 36:9 Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD.

NIV 2 Chronicles 36:9 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months and ten days. He did evil in the eyes of the LORD.

Again, why would the Holy Spirit lead one to read a Bible that contradicts the truth.

Which is it? Was Jehoiachin 8 as history records? or 18 as changed by the NIV?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.