1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unconditional Election And the Invincible Purpose of God

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Monergist, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:
    Who's "rewriting" anything? What does your paraphrase have to do with my point of the meaning of "know" referring to intimacy? If anything, it's your reading that suggests "I never met you because My Father never introduced me to you"

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Unbelief is only covered as a sin when a person becomes a child of God.

3. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

So now the atonement covers every sin without any act of faith on our part except unbelief, ewhich does require an act of faith?

Where in Scripture do we see that division of the work of Christ into two categories, one that must be appropriated by faith, th eother not? Where do we see that there are two categories of sins, those that must be repented of to be forgiven, and those that do not?

These questions of themselves should serve to correct you, for you are wrong.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Here's another stumper. Most Arminians I know interpret the following to mean that every knee WILL bow and every tongue WILL confess that Jesus is Lord. The only difference will be the state the person is in when doing so (some will do so willingly in gratitude, since they are saved, and others will do so in fear and sorrow because they did not do this when they had a chance to be saved.)

But to take a typical Arminian "logical" stance in defense of the love of God:

If God is a loving God, and everyone does eventually bow the knee and confess Jesus is Lord, then why won't God save them at that point? Why does God care that you didn't believe when your physical body was alive? As long as you believe and confess Jesus is Lord, why should God reject you then? Sure it's easier to believe when you're physically dead and then wake up and see for yourself that Jesus really exists and there's more to this creation than your physical body. But isn't that just the point? If God is loving, why does he only accept faith when it's hard to have it, but reject it when it's easy? If God is not willing that any should perish, one must assume that God would make faith as easy as possible, and accept faith when it's arrived at easily, such as when we die and are confronted with a reality that is impossible to refute.

How'd I do? Can I get an honorary Arminian membership card now? ;)

[ January 21, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: npetreley ]

5. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

People go to hell because they passively chose to do so by not actively choosing to believe in Jesus the one who atoned for our sins, and justifies us before the Father in Heaven.

For those who believe in Jesus, Jesus Paid for their sins. For those who do not believe in Jesus, they condemn themselves to hell through their unbelief even though their sins were included in the Christ's atonement. It is unbelief that condemns, and belief that Saves...God Said So!
    God said it, that settles it!

[ January 21, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Yelsew ]

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Romans 6

7. 4study

4study New Member

npetreley,

I don't necessarily agree with Yelsew, however, I'm not following your last response in which you cut/paste a section of Romans 6. Would you mind explaining how that scripture responds to Yelsew's quote? Thank you.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Because it does not say, "Those things used to result in death, and the wages of sin used to be death, but now that all sin has been atoned for, all you need to do is believe because the only sin left is one of unbelief!"

9. 4study

4study New Member

npetrely,

Yes, Romans 6:20-23 does not say that. Yet I don’t understand how it directly applies to Yeslew’s comment. Aren’t you taking Romans 6 out of context?

10. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Yelsew is not asking or demanding that you agree with Him. BUT, If you do not agree with Jesus, you be in BIG trouble...boy!

Just to put things in perspective, I trust the words of Jesus over the words of Paul any day. Jesus is the author of life, the Justifier of believers, the object of my faith, and the redeemer of sinners...He is God! The whole thing is HIS PLAN!

Paul is just a preacher! A good 'un mind ya, but still, just a preacher!

Paul never said it any clearer than Jesus does right here!

Your argument is not with Yelsew, but with God!

Belief saves, unbelief condemns!

Notice please that Jesus did not say Belief, Plus (anything) saves, or that anything or anyone else saves. It is not a math problem! It is a life or death decision that each individual must make for him/herself using his/her own free will!

Jesus clearly states that man must believe, in order to have eternal life. So the author of life gave man a choice to make and the equipment with which to make that choice, and it is for any, all, Totality, every, whosoever, all of humanity, etc.; not for just some, or them that gets voted into office.

Yes Npetreley, you are using Romans 6:20-23 out of context. Verse one sets the tone!

[ January 22, 2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Yelsew ]

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Latreia,

A person cannot become a child of God without faith in Jesus. I thought you knew the ABC's of the Gospel. Sorry.

The Divine provision for the sin of unbelief is provided for every sinner. [I John 2:2] Unbelief will ultimately take a person to Hell. [Revelation 20:15] Believing in Jesus brings about our justification. [John 3:16; Hebrews 2:9 d; Hebrews 4:2 c & d].

12. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

Ray,

I'll accept your apology for the condescending remark. In future though you should strrive to live up to the learning you claim to have and simply not post such.

I do know the ABCs of the gospel. Indeed I know that election precedes faith. Apparantly you ae unaware of this.

Still' I await a repsonse to the question. Where does the Gospel teach that some aspects of the atonement are received without faith and others are, and that some sins are forgiven without repentance while some require repentance.

If you cannot answer those directly, I will of course understand.

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I agree. I can't help but wonder what it will be like for those who stand in front of Jesus and insist that they chose Him of their own free will. Would such a thing be terrifying to behold or just humorous? I honestly don't know.

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yelsew, there are other ways of understanding that verse without causing contradictions with other verses. For example:

Why is he not condemned? Because his sins are forgiven.

Why is he condemned already? Because his sins are not forgiven. Why aren't his sins forgiven?

15. shilo

shilo New Member

If that is true then how did Cornelius, who was not elect.. saved..regenerated..ect...able to seek and have faith in God?? it is Quite obvious he did..he fasted, prayed and God told him he had heard his prayer..

I would not be so condesending if I were you especially when you don't line up with scripture.

[ January 22, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: shilo ]

16. shilo

shilo New Member

God will welcome them into heaven..

It would be more terrifying to stand in front of God claiming the doctrines of Calvin.

[ January 22, 2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: shilo ]

17. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

If that is true then how did Cornelius, who was not elect..nor saved..regenerated..ect...able to have faith in God?? it is Quite obvious he did..he fasted, prayed and God told him he had heard his prayer..

I would not be so condesending if I were you especially when you don't line up with scripture.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Mark 13:20. Jesus speaks of future elct persons as being already elect. Obviously then election precedes faith.

I line up with Scriture just fine thanks.

As for Cornelius, there is no contradiction here. He obviouly was elect since he believed and was God-fearing. Faith is the evidence of election, not the ground of it.

18. shilo

shilo New Member

Mark 13 is refering to ISRAEL not the church. Get your context Correct.

NO you don't line up with scripture..

Cornelius was NOT saved..So says Acts 11:14.. Try again

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I wasn't talking about reciting doctrines.. What I had in mind was a one-on-one more along the lines of:

1. "Thank you, Jesus, for offering me the free gift of savlation according to your love and mercy. I don't know what good there was in me that I would choose you of my own free will, but I'm so glad I did."

2. "I don't know why you chose me, since there was nothing good in me that would commend me to you, but thank you for choosing to pour your love and mercy upon me."

I don't know if anything like the above will ever happen, since I really don't think we have any idea what the moment will be like when we stand face-to-face with Jesus. But I'm having trouble understanding why the latter would be a terrifying experience.

20. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Wrong, according to Jesus. UNLESS, you believe that "Whosoever believeth" makes one "elected". IF so, when did election take place? That's right, AT the point of belief!

I believe that standing before Jesus and hearing him say, "Well done my good and faithful servant..." will be the greatest moment in a man's existence. To Hear Jesus say to the Father, "Father, let me present my brother who chose me of his own free will, as you know father, he was not coerced or compelled, but rather freely chose me to be his lord. He is my friend." And to Hear the Father pronounce sentence, "Life without possibility of parole". My gracious what a wonderful thought!

NO! Read Jesus! He is not condemned because he believed on even the NAME of Jesus.

NO AGAIN! READ JESUS! He that believeth is not condemned! Belief in Jesus the SON OF GOD prevents condemnation!

He is CONDEMNED!

READ JESUS! You do believe that Jesus is the SON OF GOD don't you? Are you going to believe God or are you going to rely on man...Paul, Peter, James, etc. who each, on his own had to make the same decision you do, to believe or not believe, to live or die!