1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Under Grace or Under Law?...Round 3

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by D28guy, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Blood Spoke My Name

We can keep the law if we truly are submitted to Christ.
    The Word says that His commandments are not grievous. To the one who will truly serve Him, they are not.

2. His Blood Spoke My Name

We must also remember that Jesus told Peter:

What did He mean about 'when thou are converted'? Were the disciples saved before the cross? or after it?
    We do know that Judas was one of the Apostles, yet the son of Perdition. Were the others also in an unsaved state before the shedding of blood?

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Paul words it just like this:

Romans 13:
    8: Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    9: For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    10: Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

and theres no reason to tell us to keep the Law if we cant do it:

Mt:5:19: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Rom:6:2: God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Rom:6:15: What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Claudia

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: I totally agree. I was just using your post to provoke some of the others to think about and utilize sound words such as you have posted here. :)

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

okay, I can see the point maybe about Peter not being converted, and Im not sure if that means he wasnt "saved" but I dont think the fact that Jesus hadnt gone to the cross yet has a thing to do with any of that.

The sacrificing of the sheep was to show faith in the dying on the cross that was to come so to reason that perhaps if Peter wasnt converted this means nobody else was either... that is just wrong, in my opinion.

Plus "converted" in this passage could mean that he just didnt realize who Jesus really was.

Not completely.

sorry I gotta change that, I just read through and Jesus said that to Peter right when He said he was going to betray him...

Claudia

#105 Claudia_T, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2007
  6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Acts:3:19: Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord

well that does seem to say if you arent "converted" you arent "saved"

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

...that provoking Heavenly Pilgrim... I tell ya!

8. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works::)

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

When Jesus spoke of the Commandments He always spoke of the Ten and even spoke them. Never did He say anything about the above 600 pots and pans laws, to us.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

so what is your problem?

You amen it!!!

You were under it before Christ set you free when you believed and put them in your heart and mind that the righteous of the Law would be fulfilled in you and the only way the righteous of the Law can be fulfilled is to Keep them.

HBSMN; I agree with your posts also.

#110 Brother Bob, Jan 19, 2007
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ed answered, still waiting on the others.

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Brother Bob,

It is completly appropriate for a fellowship to step in with the appropriate discipline. I dont think any of us would argue with that.

Grace and peace,

Mike

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: On what authority do they do that? Are Churches bound to the law? Is not the church made of of nothing apart from individuals that are not under law but grace?

For mere man to suggest that something might need to be done about sin that has already been forgiven by the blood of Christ even before it was committed........is that not trampling on the blood of Christ, acting as if though it is of no effect...........at least according to some on this list.

#113 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 19, 2007
  14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Heavenly Pilgrim,

The scriptures. God has written to us concerning that. The church has been instructed to employ appropriate discipline. That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

No

Yes.

God bless,

Mike

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Quote:
    D28Guy: It is completly appropriate for a fellowship to step in with the appropriate discipline. I dont think any of us would argue with that.

HP: On what authority do they do that? Are Churches bound to the law? Is not the church made of of nothing apart from individuals that are not under law but grace?

I think it has plenty to do with the topic of this thread. WHY would the church discipline someone for breaking the ten commandments if we are no longer Under the Law?

#115 Claudia_T, Jan 19, 2007
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If the sin is under the blood according as you all have said and that means all sin and been made white as snow and cast into

a lake never to be remember against him anymore by the one he sinned against. According to your words and theory.

Then what gives you the right to do anything to this man according to your theory has already had his sin covered by Jesus's

blood. What gives you the right to judge another man's servant if he is already "forgiven".

What are you condemning him for?

#116 Brother Bob, Jan 19, 2007
  17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

HP,

I forgot this...

No. What we have been talking about on this thread is the believers standing before God, and eternal security. In that regard we have been completly freed from the bondage of, and condemnation of, the Law.

The reason is because we are to walk "in the newness of the Spirit" and not "the oldness of the letter", because "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life".

Mike

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

That still does not answer what this man has done to deserve punishment from the church if all he did is covered by the blood of Christ.

You boxed yourself in a hole my friend.

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Claudia,

A christian fellowship has no buisiness expecting its people to not "break the 10 commandments" or help the sinning one with discipline for "breaking the 10 commandments". We are not under Law, but under grace.

Under grace however wrong is still wrong, and proper is still proper. Adultery is still wrong. The one who has fallen into that problem is living inconsistantly with who they are in Christ. They are one of Gods Spirit born Saints who is living like a lost person. And for the brothers and sisters who love him to step in and help him with discipline is the right thing to do because God has instructed us to do it.

Grace and peace,

Mike

20. His Blood Spoke My Name

Why Brother Bob! I am surprised at you!

Didn't you know, my Brother that the Church has every right to place themselves above Christ and condemn one who sins? one whose sins have been cast into the sea? one whose sins and iniquities are remembered anymore by Christ?

The Church has that authority because it says so. Surely you have read it in your Bible.

(DISCLAIMER: I do not hold to, nor do I endorse the beliefs of any church that would dare condemn anyone whose sins are truly blotted out.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.