1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Undergraduate Programs; Distance Learning.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by akrahnert, Jul 12, 2006.

1. akrahnert

akrahnert New Member

I am rather new to this board, but have been following events on this thread for a few weeks in regards to Baptist educational institutions

I am seeking a distance learning program at the undergraduate level to obtain a bachelors in theology and biblical languages.

My goal is to continue to the graduate level and (Lord willing) and receive a Ph.D
    in order that I may teach at a seminary or college.

It does not matter to a certain degree if the college is SBC or IFB affiliated, but it must have the proper accredidation, be academically challenging and respected
    (No degree mills) and biblically sound.

From a rather lengthy ongoing search that I have conducted on the Internet, it seems that most of the colleges associated with the IFB are geared more to producing "preacher boys", whereas the SBC colleges have a more scholarly leaning in matters of theology, bible, and biblical languages, which is where
    my interest is; becoming a biblical scholar and teacher.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with becoming a "preacher boy". They are needed. I belong to an IFB church, and have heard several young men from two IFB colleges (Ambassador and Crown), and they where strong and gifted preachers. We need preaching pastors as well as good Baptist scholars.
    God is leading me down the path of the latter in order that I may serve Him in the defence of the faith, which is rapidly being wittled away by the secular humanists and the compromising.

Any thoughts? I know that many discussions have taken place in regards to this type of inquiry, but there is so much info and to little time to sift out all the data contained within this thread.

I only beg of you all, that this not become an SBC vs. IFB free for all.

In Christ Always,

akrahnert

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Response

Young man;

May I congratulate you!

You have moved beyond the narrow mindedness that is sometimes a part and parcel of the IFB clans.

I would say that you can glean much good information from those of us on the BB who are academics and have been down that road so to speak.

I would say first off; stay with your insights and intuition. You seem to be ahead of the game. Keep your options open, keep prayed up, listen with a teachable spirit, work hard. Remember though, when you make one decision about "X" or "Y" College or seminary; that decision will follow you from then on.

sdg!

rd

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Undergraduate program in theology and languages via distance learning? I don't know of any. You could look at Luther Rice University. They have a Bachelor of Arts in Religion degree program (126hrs). I honestly don't know if they offer languages at the undergraduate level. Liberty University offers a Bachelor of Science in Religion degree program online. However Liberty does not have languages online.

You might be forced to earn your undergraduate degree via an on-campus program if you want the languages. At the graduate level you will have a bit more luck finding schools that offer the languages online. I don't know of any PhDs in Theology that are offered online.

Links...

Liberty
    http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=8743

Luther Rice
    http://www.lru.edu/default.asp?page=degrees

For what its worth I hope that helps.

Maybe someone will know of a program I don't.