1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding Genesis 1&2

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 4Pillars, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Here's my take....

Genesis 1:1 is a preface - The Story of the Beginning of Creation.

Genesis 1:2 documents us the CONDITION OF THE DEEP (empty, null & void) BEFORE anything was created or made.

Genesis 1:3 narrates us the bringing forth of the True Light -- before the work of old.

Genesis 1:4 God divided the Light from the darkness before the start of any creation.

Genesis 1:5 Light Day and Night - the 1st. Day.

IOW, I believe the Scripture documents us that actual formation of the 1st. heaven took place only on the 2nd Day (Genesis 1:6-8). Our universe were made on the 3rd day - NOT Genesis 1:1-- as others seems to assume.

Your thought please....

2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think Genesis 1 and 2 are true theologically, but not necessarily scientifically and chronologically/historically.

*dons flame-retardant suit*

3. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

The Book of Genesis 1 & 2 is TRUE literally. It always agree with true science discovery and historical findings. There is not one truth for Christian and another one for Science or history. When you find God’ Truth, it agrees exactly with both.

It's simple to know if one's interpretation is correct. If it agrees with God's Holy Word, true Science, and History, it's as close to the One Truth as is Humanly possible. The fault is Not with God's Truth, but with man's ability to understand it, for His thoughts are far above man's thoughts.

#3 4Pillars, Nov 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  4. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

In the beginning God Created the heaven (Air) and the Earth (Ground). And the Earth (Ground) was without form, (Dust) and void; (Empty) and darkness (Death) was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

The 3 elements necessary for all physical form are shown... Air, Dust, and Water. Everything which is physical is composed of these 3 elements. The text is correct in showing that the water was not directly created, or spoken into being, because it consists of elements of the Air or Atmosphere. Water is Hydrogen and Oxygen and came from the Atmosphere and is not shown as a separate creation.

This is correct in today's scientific knowledge, but IF the Bible were written by Ancient men, Moses would not have known this. He would have written that in the beginning God created the Air, Dust, and Water, but since God Himself is the Author, He correctly shows that the Atmosphere and Ground were created, and the Water was not a separate creation but instead, came from the Atmosphere.

God Bless

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gen 1:2 tells us about the "Earth" already existing and ALREADY containing water and the Spirit of God Hovers over that water.

God creates Light for THIS world on day 1 -- a single-sided light source "such that" there is EVENING (Dark) for 1/2 day and light for 1/2 day. The earth is therefore "in rotation" and there is a single-sided light source relative to the position of earth. By definition that light can not be coming from the "entire universe" since that would not be "one sided".

Day 2 God divides the water that is already here. He does not "create water" on earth. He does this in one literal evening and morning "still using the single sided light source" of day 1.

Day 3 - God limits the Water and creates dry land along with all plant life and he does this in one evening and morning "Still using the single sided light source from day 1".

Day 4 God creates "TWO great lights" - count them -- two. He does that in one literal evening and morning still using the single sided light source of day 1 to count the day since the sun is only around for part of that day to serve as the new light source for earth.

6. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Dear Bob,

On the contrary, here’s how I look at it….. Again, Genesis 1:1-2 narrate us the condition of the DEEP before the actual making of the heaven and earth got started in the beginning.

"In the beginning God Created the heaven (Air) and the Earth (Ground). And the Earth (Ground) was without form, (Dust) and void; (Empty) and darkness (Death) was upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

Genesis 1:3 shows us the True Light (Son) was brought forth into our physical world from the invisble realm of the Father - to turn the condition of the deep (empty) from darkness (death) to light (life).

The brightness of the glory of YHWH/Jesus, the Son, WAS the True Ligth that was brought forth when God first spoke the "Word" in the beginning and said, "LET THERE BE LIGHT". John 1:1; Gen. 1:3

Note: The narrative of Gen. 1:1-2 is speaking of the period BEFORE the 1st Day. Jesus speaks of this time, in the Garden of Gethsemane -- describing the event that took place before the world was...

And now, O Father, glorify thou Me with Thine Own Self with the Glory which I had with Thee BEFORE the world was." John 17:5

If one believes that In the beginning God created the HeavenS (Plural) BEFORE the 1st Day, then the Words of Jesus would seem to be in error. If one believes that the 1st Firmament or Heaven was formed on the 2nd Day, then it would agree with Jesus, and would show that Jesus came into the World Before the 1st Heaven was formed (Gen.1:6-8).

All things were made through/by him: and without the True Light (Son) was not anything made that was made. Because, in him (Jesus) is Life. John 1:3-4

Jesus/YWHW, the Son, provided the True Light in heaven in the beginning (ALPHA) of creation as he would also be the one providing the Light in the end (OMEGA) - New Jerusalem to come (Rev. 21:23). Look and read....

"And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb (Jesus) is the light thereof." Revelation 21:23

God Bless

#6 4Pillars, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2006
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is a direct contradiction of Scripture.
    Darkness is not death; it is darkness.
    Death did not enter the world before Adam. Before Adam there was no death. It was through Adam that death entered the world.

"For by one man sin entered into the world and death by sin, for that all have sinned."
    It can't be any plainer than that.
    DHK

8. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Dear Mr. Moderator,

Darkness existed even before the world was. It is also a METAPHOR for death; null & void; emptiness... Look

Psalms 107
    14 He brought them out of DARKNESS AND THE SHADOW OF DEATH, and brake their bands in sunder.

IF there was no darkness in the beginning, then, there's no need of Light -- Also, based on your understanding, darkness/death could not have enter into this world if Satan did not exist in the beginning -- before the world was - just so you know...

God Bless

#8 4Pillars, Nov 30, 2006
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Now, why would the Holy Spirit, writing through the hand of Moses, be writing in metaphors when recording the simple history of His creative acts--day by day--even to the point where he rests or ceases from creating on the seventh day. All five of his books are both historical and instructive. If we went and made them all metaphorical and allegorical we could make the Bible say anything we wanted to. That is how the JW's teach only a spiritual resurrection of Christ and not a literal bodily resurrection. They don't take things literally. If you take it as a metaphor you destroy the context of what God is saying. You also destroy the meaning of Paul's words in Romans five. Death cannot precede Adam no matter which way you look at it.
    DHK

10. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Dear Mr. Moderator,

When the "Word" was spoken -- LET THERE BE LIGHT -- in the beginning, the "Word" brought LIFE in to this world -- turning the condition of the deep from darkness (death) or emptiness into LIFE. Because in him was LIFE (John 1:4) And that was the TRUE LIGHT, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world (John 1:9).

#10 4Pillars, Nov 30, 2006
  11. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

This assumes, of course, that Moses in fact wrote Genesis. There is evidence to the contrary...

12. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Please produce your evidence or everybody will see that you're just whistling in the wind.

Thanks

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, there is evidence that different source elements were used - some which referred to God as Jah (YHVH) and others as EL. These are the Jahwist and Elohist elements. Also Priestly and Deuteronomistic sources.

This is the reason for two creation accounts, and for some interesting evidence of two flood acounts being interwoven.

It's called "JEDP," and you can look it up yourself if you'd like. I'm not in the habit of doing people's research for them.

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

4Pillars while I don't necessarily agree with your view of Genesis 1 & 2 there are those that are among us that do not feel that Genesis 1 & 2 hold any Spiritual significance and is just the basic facts and figures of creation.

And there are so many Spiritual lessons to learn from Genesis 1 & 2. I am also of the opinion that if more people would correctly understand the first two chapters of Genesis there would be a lot less mistakes made latter in Scripture and we wouldn't have so many divisions.

15. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

I agree, that is why we are here to discuss and learn. I am just posting my own understanding. I love to see other Christian's views, for that is the way we learn. The Holy Spirit reveals one thing to me and something else to another. Listen to the Old Songs, and read the words, and you will see the Holy Spirit in action.

Each Christian has his own measure of information. I do not question the work of the Holy Spirit, for His ways are above my ways. Each Christian learns what he should know, as the Holy Spirit leads him.

That's why I seek the agreement of every other discovered Truth, to measure against God's Holy Word. There is Only 1 Truth, and every other discovered Truth MUST agree with God's Truth or we have Not found the 1 Truth.

God Bless

16. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Understanding Genesis

On the contrary...God wrote Genesis by the one called Moses. Jesus verified this--regardless of what higher textual critics may say.

We do err when we try to make the traditions of men and skewed paradigms of pseudo science the standards for comparing the Word of God. God said what He meant and what He said. If our paradigms do not agree, that is our problem. God is not the author of confusion.

Choose wisely,

Bro. James

17. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Tha's not evidence.... that is just based on assumption of those who can not understand the Scripture. Sorry.

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Amen to that!!!

It would take way too much time and space to share with you the thoughts that I have on these two chapters, but if you are interested in some study material PM me and I will pass it along to you.

God's blessings to you as you seek His Face and His Truth!

19. 4Pillars

4Pillars New Member

Brethren in Christ:

Genesis 1 is an Outline of ALL of the events leading to the Creation of the Perfect Heaven. Most of the rest of the Bible refers to the present 6th Day, but ALL of the Bible refers to the events of God's 6 Creative Days.

That's why we are taken back to the 3rd Day at Gen 2:4. The narrative is adding details to the events listed in Gen 1. Both accounts agree totally and in detail.

What is amazing is that God wrote our History more than 3,000 years ago, and the events at the end of the 6th Day are still Future.

IOW, God told the complete story of the Creation in Genesis 1 and beginning at Gen 2:4, we begin to learn the details of the events of Genesis 1.

God Bless

20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

OK. Interesting that people who do not agree with your view are automatically condemned as "those who cannot understand the Scripture." In my own view, such matters do not detract from the inspired or authoritative nature of Scripture, which is what you Fundie types fear most. You don't fear a lack of understanding, I think, you fear education.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.