1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding the "tithe"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AresMan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The relevant question, obviously, is: Do you mint and anise and cummin?

2. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by JohnV:I agree that teaching tithing as law is wrong, but to assert that it is incorrect to voluntarily engaging in the tithe, that's a false teaching if I ever heard it. Show me where in scripture the tithe is forbidden, and I'll adopt it. Until then, it is you who is engaging in a false teaching, not me.

Show me where tithing as practised in churches today is like the model set up in the O.T.

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Posted by Aresman: Am I alone in this or doesn't anyone else notice that nowhere in the Bible (Old or New Testaments) does it ever speak of tithing money. Not once, anywhere. Please show me anywhere in the Bible where it speaks of someone tithing currency. Note: the Temple tax is not a tithe.

Preach it brother!!

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I never said they didn't have money. I'm saying that livestock and crops were a common form of currency for trade, more common that coined money. We with our streamlined financial system of trade would find their system of bartering quite alien.

I agree. I consider my financial increase to be my takehome pay, after taxes, payments, and deductions. But each should decide this for themselves.
    Sure you can. I just did. But the correlation is subjective and broad, which is why everyone needs to decide for themselves what a proper and fitting amount is.

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It is called giving. And everyone needs to decide for themselves what a proper and fitting cheerful gift is, without being told that if they don't do the math that somehow they are in the wrong.
    Every man as he hath purposed in his heart so let him give (and far be it from someone else to try to force some mandatory "purpose" in my heart).
    Not grudgingly or of necessity because there is no law or obligation for any particular amount in New Testament giving and there is no record of anyone tithing their income.
    For God loveth a cheerful giver as it is what is in the heart that matters. You know whether or not you are giving cheerfully.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

AresMan, I've been clear from my first post that the tithe should be given freely, that it should not be done out of observance of any law, and that it should be done with cheer and glee.

I'm still going to tithe. I'm also going to give offerings beyond my tithe. And I'm going to do those things willfully, happily, and freely.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding!

[​IMG]

HankD

8. Soulman

Soulman New Member

quote:
    I'm still going to tithe. I'm also going to give offerings beyond my tithe. And I'm going to do those things willfully, happily, and freely.

You go for it and call it what you will. Just remember :"It doesn't matter what you think...It's what God says that counts!"

It aint tithing in the N.T no matter what you say!

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, personally, I can agree with that also.

I'll call it a love offering.

HankD

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would call any giving, gift. That's what appears to me the only word used in the New Testament to refer to such.

2CO 1:11 Ye also helping together by prayer for us, that for the gift bestowed upon us by the means of many persons thanks may be given by many on our behalf.

2CO 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
    3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;
    4 Praying us with much entreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.

PHP 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.

PHP 4:17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

1PE 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
    9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
    10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The reason I don't call my tithing a gift is because it presumes that its mine to give. It's not. It's God's. I'm just returning a prtion of what is His to Him. The rest, I try to the best of my imperfect ability to bless Him with my manner of use.

12. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I suppose we should throw out Sunday School, going to church twice on Sundays, nuseries and children's church, etc., because it's "nowhere in the Bible". These things are not forbidden. They may be done if a church body decides so to do. And, Soulman, if you're not going to church every day, you may be in violation of the NT church model! :eek:

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Like I said before, I'm still going to tithe. I'm also going to give offerings beyond my tithe. And I'm going to do those things willfully, happily, and freely.

If these things are violations of scripture, then I'm sure God will forgive me on the day of judgement. I have no problem erring and having other people blessed by my error. So long as I keep the "violation" to myself, that the "violation" is freely and cheerfully done, and I don't insist that others do likewise as a matter of doctrinal obedience, then I fail to see any violation in the first place.