1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unemployment Checks Fastest Way to Create Jobs

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Jul 1, 2010.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Google it...the information is everywhere.

Basic goods need to be bought. Take away the money to buy these things and what happens?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me ask you this...if you take away the lifeline of 20 million (conservatively) Americans, what do you think that will do for the stock market and small businesses?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree...unfortunately it is those who are employed and without a clue.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Neal Boortz addresses Pelosi's "thoughts" better than I could. Does he over-generalize a bit? Yep. Does he come off as too abrasive? Sometimes. But much of this is spot on:

SOURCE

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Completely ignorant...and I am not speaking of Pelosi (this time)

The unemployed got there due to no fault of their own. It is not welfare, they are BENEFITS that have been paid into by those who lost their jobs. Whether you want to agree with Pelosi on this or not, you remove the only source of income for $20 million Americans, there will be a depression worse that what was seen in the '30's. I hope nobody on this thread has to go through it, but take away these benefits and it won't be long before many of you will be in the same boat saying "oh, now I get it".

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Neal Boortz's comments are even more ignorant than the comments I have read here!! First, it has nothing to do with "wealth distribution". It is NOT welfare. Second, he is completely out of touch with reality if he thinks millions and million of unemployed are using their checks for "cigarettes and alcohol". The unemployed have families as well...they were hard working people WHO LOST THEIR JOBS DUE TO NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN, they are not looking for a handout!! These are people burning through their retirements and savings. Children are being affected. It is no picnic living off of half of what you were used to making, not to mention the stress involved on spouses and children

I'm surprised and ashamed at the un-Christlike attitude from my brothers here! It sounds like you all would be the ones walking on the other side of the road to get away from the Samaritan!

I lost my job in May '08, btw, and have not been able to find a full time position yet, just independent contractor things. The stress on our family has been immense. God has met our needs, as my wife is working her tail off full time. I have applied at hundreds of companies, some multiple times. That's thousands of applications sent. When I do get an interview I go in with a 1 in 6 chance of landing the job due to equally qualified applicants applying. I have become an expert at interviewing...yet no job offer. I had a second interview last week at a company that received HUNDREDS of applicants equally qualified as myself for a $12 hour job. Some companies are openly discriminating against the unemployed by only hiring those with jobs.

If you all think it is so easy to find something, quit your job and give it to someone unemployed and walk a mile in my shoes. Better yet, read some of the stories from the Ways and Means Committee meeting on June 10 and how this is REALLY affecting people.

#27 webdog, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  8. targus

targus New Member

With that logic then the government should just send everyone a check every week for $1,000 - or $5,000 - or even more.

All of that money would get spent and the economy would boom - there would be so many jobs created that we would be begging Mexico to send us as many of their unemployed as possible.

Do you agree with this?

If not - why not?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No...because unemployment is not charity, it is a benefit we (and companies) payed into for such a circumstance. Do I think the government would have been better served to give American tax payers the money they gave the auto industries, banks, wall street, a continued losing war, and countless aid to other nations before our own using OUR tax dollars? Absolutely.

10. targus

targus New Member

But the supposed claim is that unemployment benefits create jobs.

If it is merely the payment of a benefit paid for by the employer why pretend that it is a jobs creating program?

How long should the payment of unemployment benefits to a single individual go on?

One year - two years - five years?

Do we pay lifetime unemployment to someone and say that it was an earned benefit?

What is your cut off and why at that particular point?

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What does any of this matter? Nancy Pelosi opened her mouth again? Big deal!

Right now.

Our government is spending our labor at a rate faster than our treasury can print out the fiat currency the central banking cartel is kind enough to loan us at interest.

It must be nice to be able to scam people into giving up their labor in exchange for a fist full of air + interest, with their consent. Then sit back and watch them argue about what their mindless puppets are saying in public.

They must find us sheeple mighty awful entertaining.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It creates jobs indirectly by allowing the economy to recover on a gradual pace. Pull the rug out from 20 million people and see how many jobs are created.

I always thought EUC should be triggered by state, and cut off when that state reaches a respectable percentage for that demographic. EUC came into being in '08 when unemployment reached 6%. It's now around 10% (higher if you count those who have expired benefits and don't count towards the number of claims each week). It's at 2 years now in some states, and the economy is getting worse and not forecast to start turning around until '12. This does not even take into consideration those who are under-employed...working part time with no benefits or far less than what they were earning. I've read numbers of the un and under employed at 20% or higher. That's a depression, not a recession.

The lifetime benefits question is plain silly. Do you honestly think we like living off of half our pay and the stress that goes along with it?!? You are talking about people who were working full time when they lost their jobs at no fault of their own...not slackers who want something for nothing. You cannot apply to a job that doesn't exist.

#32 webdog, Jul 2, 2010
  13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or maybe many of them will actually go out and look for a job.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...more ignorance and utterly stupid. That kind of blanket statement serves no good...and quite shocking coming from a pastor. You cannot look for something that doesn't exist.

#34 webdog, Jul 2, 2010
  15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea...let's not be realistic so money can be spent wisely. Let's just keep paying out tax payer money that we do not have. What is ignorant is that there is not massive widespread abuse of the system.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...you mean like the taxes the unemployed pay on their benefits? While there will always be bad apples who abuse any system, it is PURE ignorance to think there are "massive" amounts of unemployed doing this.

17. targus

targus New Member

Why would we want the economy to recover at "a gradual pace"?

Why not a raging bull recovery?

I am not advocating pulling the rug out from anyone.

I am saying that unemployment benefits do not create jobs.

And the way to end the recession/depression is to cut taxes on businesses - not increase them.

Extended unemployment benefits are not free - businesses pay taxes to create the fund that pays the benefits.

If business taxes were to be cut - businesses would hire more people.

Jobs stimulate the economy far more than unemployment benefits ever could.

Also - if the government borrowing money to trickle into the economy creates jobs - why hasn't it happened yet?

We had a TRILLION DOLLAR "stimulus bill" that did nothing to create jobs.

Why is more of the same - under the name of unepployment benefits - going to do any better?

So what is the limit?

How long should unemployment benefits be paid?

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

maybe you should let you emotions settle down so as not to appear so ignorant yourself.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Because it is not realistic.
    ...and on this we disagree.
    You can cut taxes until the cows come home, but if there is nobody to purchase their goods it is futile.
    ...as did those who are unemployed.
    Speculation.
    No kidding.
    If it had been spent wisely, maybe it would have.
    It isn't going to be significantly better, it is going to stabilize the economy so you won't lose your job. Take them away, what do you think is going to happen?
    I answered that already.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm tired of the "us against them" mentality of the employed. What is ignorant is the many comments here and elsewhere that allude to the fact the unemployed are nothing more than lazy moochers who want to live off the employed.

Angry words stir up strife.