1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ungrateful missionary?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Oct 26, 2004.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Some of the members of the local baptist church in my town are upset with someone that they sent on a mission trip to China. The church got together a couple of thousand dollars and sent the college age son of one of their members to China for two years to teach English, and to evangelize secretly.

While he was there, he met an American girl who was also on the same mission. At the end of the two years they returned home and married. They are living about 45 minutes drive from the baptist church that sent him on the mission and are attending a baptist church closer to where they now live.

Some memebers of the church that sent him to China are upset that he doesn't come to their church anymore and think that he is ungrateful for the money they spent to send him to China.

Are they being unrealistic?
    Is this sort of thing uncommon?

Any insights?

2. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

It was a gift right? Unless ofcourse there were "strings attached" They belong to the Lord not to people the membership of the body of Christ belongs to Christ Himself not to them.

As John said to one of his disciples who saw others leaving to follow Christ, one is only given what ones has by God himself. John the baptist didnt fret when others left him. He knew the common work that was being done was for Gods purpose alone not for himself.

God bless

Seth3

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Did he teach English and evangelize while in China? If so, then they he was a good steward of the money they used to send him to China. He did what they sent him to do.

If they are upset because he and his new Christian wife are worshiping at a church that is closer to their home, instead of driving 45 minutes to their church, then this church has a problem. They need to be thankfull that God used him and pray that God will bless his family and stop worrying about wether he is in "their church". It this church competion mentality that has pushed me away from institutionalized church.

This thread would be better titled "Ungrateful church".

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most people who marry end up going to another church at some point in time anyway.

Just shows the selfishness of the church. Because the young man moved it should help to teach the church a lesson on selfishness.

5. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I fully agree.

6. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

JGrubbs,

You too huh? Then we have something in common. I too had been a part of the instutionalized church for only the first three months of my learning to be a follower of Christ. 15 years later I'm still following Him being led where He leads and its not back there for me, or at least "not yet" if ever. Don't know I just follow my leading, if its not there I don't move from where I am.

God bless

Seth3

7. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

To answer your questions:

Yes, he did teach English while he was there. It was a paid position at a school. His church provided him the money to travel there. He supported himself with his earnings while there.

And, yes, he did evangelize while there. He had to keep it to after working hours, which to me is only right, and he had to keep it very quiet. Probably a good idea considering where he was. He sent home a letter to the church informing them of hsi activities every couple of months. Evetyone thought that it all great until he came home and got married.

This church is slowly and steadily losing membership. That's probably the real source of the hurt feelings.

8. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

There are a lot of ungrateful people out there. This is kinda away from the church but I just needed to vent. About 3 weeks ago I mailed a book and a card to a friend's daughter that was laid up. I have never met the girl or even spoken with her. Her name is a common one so I spelled it that way. Come to find out, her name was spelled in a weird way. She was upset that I spelled her name wrong on the package and in the card. Try to do something nice for someone. Go figure!!!

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me a habitually un-grateful Christian, & I'll show you one miserable Christian.

All anybody has to do, to be grateful, is look at others & 'fore long they'll find somebody else with problems 10x worse than theirs; and no complaining about it either!

IMNSHO, ungratefulness borders on "the unpardonable sin"!