1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Union Outsources Picketing

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Jul 24, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/23/AR2007072302011.html?hpid=artslot

Outsourcing the Picket Line
    Carpenters Union Hires Homeless to Stage Protests

By Keith L. Alexander
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007; Page A01

EXCERPT

The picketers marching in a circle in front of a downtown Washington office building chanting about low wages do not seem fully focused on their message.

Many have arrived with large suitcases or bags holding their belongings, which they keep in sight. Several are smoking cigarettes. One works a crossword puzzle. Another bangs a tambourine, while several drum on large white buckets. Some of the men walking the line call out to passing women, "Hey, baby." A few picketers gyrate and dance while chanting: "What do we want? Fair wages. When do we want them? Now."

Although their placards identify the picketers as being with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Council of Carpenters, they are not union members.

They're hired feet, or, as the union calls them, temporary workers, paid $8 an hour to picket. Many were recruited from homeless shelters or transitional houses. Several have recently been released from prison. Others are between jobs.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Eight bucks an hour beats nothing for the homeless!! Once again, the unions are finding jobs for people! :laugh:

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    State workers here are even cheaper. They just went down to one of the state buildings and stuck their signs in the hedge and left. They were there for days.:thumbs:

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you shouldn't mind when a company puts thousands of jobless people to work when they outsource their labor to non union workers.:thumbs:

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Are you really this anti-union, or are you simply baiting him?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe both.

In today's world, unions are organizational pariahs.

7. Baptist in Richmond

I cannot see how you have arrived at this conclusion.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/05/10/afx2016620.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05177/528152.stm

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2005/01/31/daily35.html
    Speaking of Bethlehem Steel, remember this?
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...erence/Times Topics/Subjects/S/Steel and Iron

How about this article?
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/economy/july-dec03/pension_9-25.html
    But that's okay - these coporations simply transferred their obligations to us......

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't get it, if the companies went belly up why would they still be responsible for pensions?

Can't you see the problem with the links you posted, if the product is cheaper oversees, how can a US company compete with a union demanding higher wages, more benefits and protecting non-productive workers? Like the steel industry, the american company will fail if the companies are not free to compete. Will they cut US wages, YES! That is really the lesser of two evils. See Youngstown OH for the other side of the coin.

Don't get me wrong, I have no poblem with organized labor until it is self serving and stops watching the company/industry of their workers. Example, gas prices rose drastically and AA pilots went on strike for higher wages. Didn't take a financial analyst to see the timing was real bad. They ended up agreeing to a pay cut.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Easy answer: it's not their money.

Okay, so are we in a race to the bottom?
    BTW, what are the costs that are allegedly preventing us from competing? Most often the health care costs are cited.

So now the pilots have less money to spend on goods and services. Those same higher fuel prices translate to higher costs for everyone, not just the airlines. Remember: if you are wearing it, sitting on it, driving it, eating it, or pumping it into your tank, a truck got it there.....

Regards, appreciate your comments,
    BiR

#9 Baptist in Richmond, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2007
  10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Only if invested in non-company investments. Most pensions were paid from the profits of the company. A belly up company has no profits.

In truth, Wall Street. Execs are forced to bring a return or the investors go else where. No investors means no operating cash. It's all about profit margins...

As do the steel workers and other union companies. Don't give them ideas or you will only see illegals driving trucks and flying planes. If they could outsource it they would.

Don't miss the trees for the forest, my point was a good union representing its people would have been honest to the members and explained the financial situation of the company/industry and suggested/negotiated what was best for all. In the end the pilots (their members) lost wages for the time they were on strike and the end result (pay cut) didn't change. It was a double loss for them.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Dittoes to Lebuick.

Unions are what has ruined GM, and will be their eventual downfall. They were forced to make all sorts of unreasonable agreements during their salad days because of union extortion, now they are trying to pay for them by cutting corners and building junky cars to save money.

I recently got in an argument with a few other drivers when I praised the court decision that people cannot be forced to join unions, even in closed shops, if it violates their religious beliefs. They then started berating me and telling me how the union has improved our lives, at which point I simply asked them how much they are making, told them how much I was making and added that not only do I make more with better benefits, but I don't have to pay dues to an evil and corrupt union that supports all sorts of anti-Christian causes.

Unions once served a purpose, but now they are detrimental to our entire society, with few exceptions. I don't think they should be prohibited, but they certainly should not be able to force a person to join.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Also, if a union has forced a company to sign an agreement to pay $10million, and the company only has $10. How would you suggest they pay it?

If you owe $1000 per month on your car, and your income is only $1, how are you going to pay it?

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

When the Unions destroy a company and leave it like the vast waste land in the hienas in the movie the "Lion King" then the libs will cry out that capatalism doesnt work lets bring in communism.

14. Baptist in Richmond

Not according to ERISA....

That isn't always true. We have seen that before.

HUH?
    How would the union have access to the information, other than that which is available to the public? Please expound upon this point.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Long story short, my Bro in Law was an outside installer for Quest (RBOC in this area) so was a member of CWA. He had a herion habbit and would only go to one or two calls per day. After doing the normal corrective action measures, they let him go. The union got him his job back because exact productivity was not spelled out in the agreement.

His productivity was still low so his boss started checking up on him through out the day. One day they found his company truck being driven by a crack head. When they got to where he was, they found another crack head in the alley using his phone "hock" to sell long distance calls on other peoples tab. He was so stoned 911 was called to take him to the hospital. He was again fired but the union again got his job back because the agreement said he should get rehab.

After 10 weeks of in center rehab he was back on the job. This time he worked as part of a two man crew wiring businesses etc... They were working in a 3 story building when my Bro in law, not following correct procedure, did something with the elevator while his coworker was in the shaft. His coworker was killed in the accident. He left a wife and 3 kids. My Bro in law was tested, drigs were found in his system so he was fired for good and did time for involuntary manslaughter...

Yes, unions represent its members but they should also be looking out for the company where the members work. If that company belly ups, they loose all their dues paying members. In this case they protected one member to the point another member lost their life. The union then helped the family sue Quest which backfired and they were also held liable. In the meantime you and I pay higher rates for a telephone...

It is too the point now that no campany can afford waste. This includes unproductive workers or workers that can't do the job. No one wants to pay 3 guys to do the work of 1. I am not against unions, I am against them costing me more money. When 4 plumbers have to wait on the clock for an electrician to plug in the extension cord, I see the effects of a union working negatively in our society...

16. Baptist in Richmond

This story has nothing to do with my point.
    Unions don't destroy companies, bad management does.
    (sorry: didn't see your response until now)

Regards,
    BiR

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Your right. When management has let the Unions run over them (and they will if you let them) then the company will be destroyed.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think that about sums it up... :laugh: :applause: :applause: :wavey: