1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

United Church of Christ

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by thessalonian, Sep 18, 2003.

1. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

We've been talking about Catholicism alot lately. I thought I might bring up another topic. The United Church of Christ and the Reformed United Church of Christ. What is the difference? Are they Christian. I heard a guy on the radio a few months back who was a pastor at a UCOC and he was a spiritual director for planned parenthood. I understand that they also have gays and lesbians for pastors. It is also my understanding from some web searches that they may have a reather unorthodox view of the Trinity. Now this is the UCOC. I do not know for sure about the RUCOC. Ray Berrian, perhaps you could shed some light on this thread?

Blessings

2. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

The UCC is rapidly becoming a non-trinitarian cult. A new formula for baptism is gaining acceptance. See link (http://www.westmorelanducc.org/sermons/2003-1-6/6-15-03.html)

3. John Gilmore

John Gilmore New Member

Should UCC baptisms be accepted by Trinitarian churches when formulas are used that are contrary to scripture?
    1. No pastor has the authority to change a sacrament instituted by Christ.
    2. The Fatherhood of God and the Sonship of Christ are implicitly denied.
    3. The heretical view that the trinity is not 3 persons but 3 modes of God's activity (Modalistic Monarchianism) is implicitly advanced.

[ September 19, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: John Gilmore ]

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The United Church of Christ was organized in 1957 by the merging of the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Churches, which were the result of a union of Congregational Churches (1620), the German Reformed Church (c 1725), the Christian Churches (c late 1700) and the Evangelical Synod of North America (1841).

I'm not very familiar with the UCC, but for those, like me, who are looking for info, there is info on their website at:

www.ucc.org

5. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

In Why Conservative Churches Are Growing, the late Dean M. Kelley noted that the UCC was the most liberal denomination in the U.S. For comparative purposes, it was above even the United Methodist Church, and just below the Unitarian-Universalists (non-Christian groups were added to the continuum for a comparison of conservatism and liberalism). At the time he wrote the first edition, the Episcopal Church was on the liberal side already, but fairly near the center.

6. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

Thanks for the post Tauf.

Ray Berrian,

I know your watching this thread. After what has been posted would you please answer the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ray,

Could you please tell me if this is you before I answer any more of your questions. You have been avoiding it.

http://www.laker.net/rclark/GCHS1961/berrian.htm

"I have pastored United Church of Christ churches for twenty-three years. "

The UCOC has a corrupt view of the Trinity. It is a very liberal Church, approving of homosexuality and abortion. Even providing spiritual services for planned parenthood. I think the board has a right to an explanation.
    If it is not you then say so and that will be good enough for me.

God bless.

7. liafailrock

liafailrock Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am a member of a UCC denomination just up the road from me--- but I've been raised in the Protestant Evangelical tradition (looking up to the likes of "Billy Graham"). I know the denomination as a whole is getting very corrupt, but our specific church is far more conservative. For instance, we do not advocate abortion--- there's a woman in our congregation that helps collect and minister to women ready to have a baby as oppsed to suggesting abortion.

Nevertheless, the "label" bothers me. People are very quick to "put one into a box" and I guess rightly so. However, thru the pastor and Bible studies we've already discussed shedding the UCC label but I think the bottom line is (shhhh don't tell my fellow members I said this) $$$$. There seems to be a fear and not enough faith yet in God to be able to support ourselves. I don't really think this is the case since our church is growing by leaps and bounds. I hope that one day we will see that we can make it on our own. I think prayer is in order here. Our pastor is a good guy, not wanting to offend folks and wishing everyone to get along, but of course the price paid is compromise to the likes of the filthy doctrine the UCC officially embraces. As for myself, I go there to be a light to others (I am the SS Superintendent and SS teacher for the adults)--- who says the lost are in the remotest part of the world? I could never be a misionary for that reason; there's too many right here!!!

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the post Tauf.

Ray Berrian,

I know your watching this thread. After what has been posted would you please answer the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ray,

Could you please tell me if this is you before I answer any more of your questions. You have been avoiding it.

http://www.laker.net/rclark/GCHS1961/berrian.htm

"I have pastored United Church of Christ churches for twenty-three years. "

The UCOC has a corrupt view of the Trinity. It is a very liberal Church, approving of homosexuality and abortion. Even providing spiritual services for planned parenthood. I think the board has a right to an explanation.
    If it is not you then say so and that will be good enough for me.

God bless.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Don't you think if a moderator saw him as liberal he would ask about what he believed and wrote? Would you say from what he has written he is liberal? I have seen no such thing? Have you?

Why are you being so antagonistic?

There are conservatives in many denominations that are liberal. Just look at James Kennedy.

I am curious why you would ask such a question of Ray?

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You're right that Kennedy is not a liberal (though some have called him such). James Kennedy is hardly liberal. He's quite conservative, and rather legalistic on top of that. Still, I find him to be a gifted man of God, even though I do not agree with several of his views.

His church is affiliated with the PCA. I've never heard the PCA referred to asl liberal, although I've heard of people referring to the PC-USA as such.

10. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

A church can leave the UCC and join the conservative Congregationalist denomination.