1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

United Methodist Baptism Statement

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

The following baptism statement, adopted by the UMC in the mid-90's, was one of the main reasons I left the UMC where I was a member for a while and had actually started the process for entering the ministry.

The view of baptism contained in this statement is abhorrent to me -- a complete fabrication and false doctrine concerning baptism. Other Wesleyan denominations do not hold to this view of baptism -- the Church of the Nazarene, and Congregational Methodists, for example.

Here it is: (Removed temporarily)

#1 Michael Wrenn, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Michael, I tried the link, but there seems to be something wrong with it. It took me to a site called "Blackbaud Internet Solutions". Even if I delete everything after "org", just leaving www.kintera.org it still takes me to the "Blackbaud" site. :(

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Wow, that's weird; it did me, too. But the first time I tried it, it took me to the statement. Guess I'd better remove it.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Don't worry, Michael - I wasn't complaining, just puzzled. I'll try your second link later. Thanks!

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

This sort of says it all... It is a "sacrament" by which God's grace is given to humans in a syncretistic manner.

I'm SO glad I left the UMC years ago... They are seriously adrift in their theology and doctrines and it shows in their churches.

For the record, it was a Methodist minister who caused me to leave the faith I held in my early life. He was married to a Buddhist wife. He was not a believer in Christ in the biblical sense, but he was a (his words) "very spiritual man who saw Christ as our great example." When pressed with the realities of life, he could not offer help to one who was drowning in the sorrow of loosing a child. My mistake was in thinking that he represented all of Christiandom. He represented none of it, in fact, something I only learned later when God caused me to hear the true gospel according to the Scriptures.

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They will look anywhere except at the Bible. :tear:

Steve

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Another thing that bothers me about the UMC is this: Although they continue as a denomination to hold the line against homosexual ordination and marriage (due to the influence of the Southern churches, I believe), they are still willing to enter into full communion with denominations which haven't held the line -- the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and The Episcopal Church. I think the only reason they still affirm the traditional view is because they know if they changed that, that they would lose most of the Southern churches and thereby the denomination.

The ELCA, TEC, and PCUSA have gone over to the dark side; only the UMC remains "officially" committed to traditional values. But their willingness to unite with essentially apostate denominations speaks volumes.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

That is a very orthodox description of baptism and one of the reasons why it didn't bother me to stop meeting with Baptists. Baptism is a sacrament.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The purpose of a "Sacrament" is to bestow "efficacious signs of grace". I doubt that Methodist baptism adds much of God's grace as that is God's to add, not ours to manipulate through some ceremony.

10. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Orthodox according to whom? Those whose ancestors adopted a post-scriptural practice and whose descendants persecuted anabaptists almost out of existence?

Sacramentalists confuse the physical with the spiritual, just as many in Jesus's day did, not being able to distinguish between the two.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

According to every Christian Church for the last 1700 or so years.

12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

But not the first 300 years, right? Only after Constantine amalgamated Roman state-ism and paganism with a veneer of Christianity?

Oh, all right; I don't want to start an argument, but I couldn't resist.

I believe God can and does work through the physical, but not automatically, or in every instance, and certainly not by some formula that man speaks which produces God's act. The Spirit bloweth where it listeth, not where man listeth that it should blow!

Anyway, I believe I can have a discussion with you without it deteriorating into charges of being a liar and an apostate. :)

13. billwald

billwald New Member

There is no evidence concerning first couple hundred years so I have an opinion but no data.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Huh?

There are significant writings from the post-apostolic era, several of which deal with baptism.

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Baptists view that water baptism is an ordinace that Jesus gave unto the church, as it is NOT Graced as a sacrament in the sense that the RCC would use that term!

16. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Or the Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Orthodox, Anglicans, etc., etc.

#17 Walter, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012