1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Universalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Feb 27, 2011.

1. MojoTurbo

MojoTurbo New Member

well we can watch this and see if he answers these questions himself...

A note from Rob...

I'm thriled to let you know I have a new book coming out called Love Wins.
    (http://robbell.com/lovewins)

It releases on March 15 and the night before (March 14) night I'll be
    speaking in New York City.

The event will be at 7pm and it will be streamed live at
    http://www.livestream.com/lovewins

I'll be taking questions.

For more about the New York City event, click here:
    http://lovewins.eventbrite.com/

For more about the live-streaming portion, click here:
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=101415176607518#!/event.php?eid=101415176607518

See you then,

rob

2. mandym

mandym New Member

If a publisher of a book I wrote lied about the content and presented me as holding to heresy just to get attention I would straighten that out real fast. But I doubt that is the case here. And I have ordered the book.

#22 mandym, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With that crazy mentality, yea he will sell books in NYC. Yea thats the goal & his selecting NYC 1st is the right move...LOL Can you say "Ca Ching" :smilewinkgrin:

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Robert, that is just the way it is. If you say anything even remotely disparaging about any well know proponent of DoG, you will get "zinged", even if it is obviously only your personal opinion.

6. quantumfaith

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's at least one or two ways that the publisher could have told the truth about what is in the book and it not be heresy in any way.

I still don't see what is allegedly heretical about the publisher's blurb, even with all of the negative hype that alleged Christian leaders/bloggers are giving the book.

I guess you've been fortunate enough to not have had someone do a smear campaign against you. There's a point at which trying to answer the charges actually gives the charges validity. His enemies will merely twist his words and then when the book comes out make claims that Bell changed the text at the last moment to take out the heretical parts (which is essentially ridiculous given the time it takes to get a book ready for publication, reserve press time, review galley proofs, do a press check, and run enough books for a launch.)

In my opinion, if he is innocent of the charges against him, the best thing he can do is to give his critics enough rope to hang themselves and then let the book come out and everyone can see (at least those who care about what is true) that his critics were wrong.

On at least four occasions in my life, I've had people wage smear campaigns against my character/stands/teachings. Unfortunately, things were not as clear cut and objective as the content of a book. I had to just leave things to God instead of spending time defending myself and in at least three of the cases I think my reputation recovered. That when I learned that leaders, at least leaders who take unpopular stands, don't have the luxury of being concerned about their reputation. It has to be submitted to Christ and He will eventually work things out for His glory.

There are always going to be critics and accusers, especially in religious circles. The evil one ensures that.

By the end of the month, the verdict will be in. And don't be surprised if his accusers are wrong, they don't apologize, and someone floats the fantasy that Bell secretly revised the book at the last minute.

#27 Baptist Believer, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    About 588 of your 1,588 posts have been the thumbs up sign. Not so enlightening. Have you completely endorsed everything that a poster writes in a particular post? Even I pick out the portions with which I agree.

9. quantumfaith

You have no idea how much I appreciate your self appointed role as the "thumbs up" police.

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I take it to mean he would be closer to Bell's views than Piper's.

I've never heard of Rob Bell, but I would certainly like to read this book. As a added plus, Piper has dismissed him. This, in my opinion speaks well of Bell

11. quantumfaith

I too have never heard of Rob Bell, thus I have no opinion. And would not give one unless I knew something of him and/or his position. As for Piper, I respect his scholarship and intellect, although I am not in the same "theological" camp as is he.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just doing my duty on the BB beat.

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, for one, appreciate well-placed affirmation. :thumbsup:

14. quantumfaith

No worries BB, I will not be deterred by the quips of Rip. I dont believe (being a mathematician) in being overly redundant. It gets one in trouble where equations are concerned. I can only hope that Rip will use Bivariate analysis, Wilcoxon Rank Sums and throw in some non-parametric statistical analysis in his computations of my "thumbs up".

#34 quantumfaith, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
  15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've heard of Bell and have no desire to get any teaching from him. There are much more solid pastors/teachers out there. I hate food with too many bones. It's just not worth my time.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

17. quantumfaith

Hey, but I do agree with Rob Bell's statement (as quoted here on BB) "Love Wins". After all, scripture tells us that "God is Love."

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's very true. I just really hope that the book is not what the world loves to hear - that God loves everyone and He'd never send anyone to hell. It's taught in many churches despite what the Bible teaches. It would be heartbreaking to see it pushed even more.

19. quantumfaith

I personally will probably not read Mr. Bells book. I will just rely on others to relay its contents. Too many other good books compete for my attention.

20. MojoTurbo

MojoTurbo New Member

... plus there is nothing wrong with wanting love to win. Most of us believe that 2/3 of the world is going to hell (thus his statement about Gandhi) and or "wide is the road..." blah blah blah

But shouldn't we all WANT the exact opposite? What is the harm in wanting all people to come to grace? Why wouldn't we want to see love in?

Because from a pessimistic standpoint, if Hell is more populated that the new earth (or heaven depending on your theology) then does "love" really win?