1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unlawful to feed homeless!!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by mima, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mima

mima New Member

2. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

Matthew 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

I used to think that I was just over reacting the Las Vegas about being a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah

Unbelievable:tear:

What gets me is how do you tell by looks - Judging, another problem with this

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Mima
    YOUR TITLE IS UNFAIR AND INFLAMMATORY.

SOMEONE SHOULD CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY OF FOOD GIVEN TO THE HOMELESS.

All they gotta do is move the location a few hundred feet . . . or open a shelter.

4. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I am sure they have plenty of shelters in Las Vegas, this is just the first step to outlaw helping others completely

Maybe I am over reacting but I do not think so? What Northern city was it that put all the homeless on a bus because they did not want to help them or deal with them.

Public park for public people

5. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

By the way, most soup kitchens and meals on wheels have health codes they must maintain. They are not talking about just anyone giving food to the needy but outlawing even reputable businesses that go out and help the poor.

Yes they need our medical help but to stop feeding them is just making it worse and shows the lack of love in the world

6. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I have to say that this is being spun... big time. As mentioned, it's to combat people setting up mobile soup kitchens attracting a certain element into a public park.

I can hear it now "oh, a certain element." Well, some people are down for a reason and choose not to go to the shelters and missions. I'm constantly referring pan-handlers to the local shelter, and I get "I can't go there, I'm [drunk|drinking|preparing to drink]".

Not to mention I've seen some homeless people that were very aggressive due to mental illness, including shouting obscenities and/or threatening people. These same people refuse assistance and/or medication. You think it's a good thing to be pulling them into a public park with small children and families around?

Spin on, but fortunately I'm grounded in reality. If these people really want to help, why don't they volunteer or support a rescue mission? If these other people really want help, why don't they go to a rescue mission. Or, could it perhaps be... SATAN!? He's giving an alternative to going to the rescue mission. Yep, that's it; especially if the ACLU is against it. (BTW... that was me spinning it there for sarcasm's sake there at the end. But, you never know.)

7. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

Kind of throws a wobble on the spin, doesn't it?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No maybe about it, but I don't care for this action either.

On the other hand, the title to this thread is misleading. Typical of Raw Story.

However, maybe there's another way the city could have handled the mobile soup kitchen problem.

#8 carpro, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2006
  9. billwald

billwald New Member

The homeless are mostly human trash. They trash any district where they hang out. You want to hgelp a homeless person? Take him home with you.

10. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

:tear::tear::tear::tear:

Matthew 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

11. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Uhm... That wasn't nice! :mad:

I lived on the streets and I don't remember that being in the handbook.. I didn't know I was suppose to "trash" the place.

I lived where I had to until I could pull myself up by my OWN boots straps. I think you're comment is very one sided and out of line!

So, how many have you "helped" this week?

Jamie

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I'm all in favor of anti-vagrancy laws and laws that discourage vagrant attractive behavior.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

Situation might be different in New Hampshire, home of the Free State Project. In the Seattle area we have a begger or two at every main freeway ramp. A bum can get at least 2 meals a day without raising a hand to do work. Understand that beggers average $8/hour net.

14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

When I fell into my darkess hour and became homeless I lived in North Carolina, not that it matter to the nature of your post.

Also, what does "home of the Free State Project" have to do with this thread?!? I am not a member of them, but have heard about them. What is the point of bring this up?

So, because some people make a living doing this, you are going to judge ALL others that happen to be on the streets? I was one of those people, and I NEVER begged on street corners, but I would take any help anyone was willing to offer. Strangers and friends helped me get back on my feet, and I am thankful for them.

Please help me understand how it's Christian like to comdemn and blame homeless people for their situtation. Also, can you help show me the Bible verse you base your "homeless beliefs" on?

Thanks,

Jamie

15. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

In your opinion, what is "vagrant attractive behavior" exactly?

Jamie

16. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

...nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
    2 Thessalonians 3:9-11

17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I think the people that agree with this type of law should study Matthew 25:31-46

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats: Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink? Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]? Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me. Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me. Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jamie

18. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

:applause::praying::flower:

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

This verse, when taken in context, doesn't deal with the homeless problem we are talking about.

In these verses, it was speaking about some people in the Thessalonian church that had set aside their responsibilities because they thought Jesus' second coming was near. This made them a burden on the church and Paul was telling them to be responible and the get back to work.

A homeless person isn't ALWAYS on the streets because he is lazy and don't want to work.

I would even agree with you, that for people that live in the streets because it's "easy" to make a buck rather than to do real work, then they need to be stopped.

However, like I said, EVERY homeless person on the streets aren't lazy. Some of them actually DON'T like living on the streets, but because of the cards of life, they have no choice right now.

As Christians we should be willing, ready and able to help give these people a leg up.

Also, in researching this, I found that the city wanted to ban the food at the parks because it would attract the homeless, when in fact it's because the homeless people were there, that is why people starting bringing food into the park. It's the opposite of what the city thought.

Jamie

20. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

Wow. Where did Jesus say we were exempt from feeding the hungry if they were drunkards? Seems to me He touched lepers, the untouchables. Seems to me He went right into the heart of where sinners lived.

For much of His life, Jesus was a homeless man. "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head."

How many would cross to the other side of the street to avoid Him today? Unless He was wearing a name tag, of course...