1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unsaved Persons can be very religious.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unsaved people can be quite religious.
    These natural men devoid of the Spirit can still make claims to religious ideas.
    World religions show the religions of demon-worshipping natural men.
    Sometimes some of these religious persons even show up on religious message boards.
    They offer ides and opinions without any scriptural support.
    Without the Spirit, they cannot perceive Divine truth.

• Young's Literal Translation
      Chapter Parallel
      Jude 1:12 (YLT) These are in your love-feasts craggy rocks; feasting together with you, without fear shepherding themselves; clouds without water, by winds carried about; trees autumnal, without fruit, twice dead, rooted up;

• Wycliffe
      Chapter Parallel
      Jude 1:12 (WYC) These be in their meats, feasting together to filth [These be in their meats filths, or defoulings, feasting together], without dread feeding themselves. These be clouds without water, that be borne about of winds; harvest trees without fruit, twice dead, drawn up by the root;

• Weymouth New Testament
      Chapter Parallel
      Jude 1:12 (WNT) These men--sunken rocks! --are those who share the pleasure of your love-feasts, unrestrained by fear while caring only for themselves; clouds without water, driven away by the winds; trees that cast their fruit, barren, doubly dead, uprooted;

• World English Bible
      Chapter Parallel
      Jude 1:12 (WEB) These are hidden rocky reefs in your love feasts when they feast with you, shepherds who without fear feed themselves; clouds without water, carried along by winds; autumn leaves without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;
    How do you deal with unsaved religious professors?
    What is the best and most loving thing to do for them?

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point them to Christ. Declare to them the Gospel. See if you can get them to evaluate their religion against the Law of God. This is one of the things that Ray Comfort does well. He uses Law and Gospel when doing evangelistic work. No amount of religion will save.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, The law is the perfect tool to help them discover the true condition of their hearts.

Here is a demon-infested man who was sitting in good standing in this synagogue. No one suspected him evidently.
    lk4;
    31 And came down to Capernaum, a city of Galilee, and taught them on the sabbath days.

32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

33 And in the synagogue, there was a man, which had a spirit of an unclean devil, and cried out with a loud voice,

34 Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art; the Holy One of God.

35 And Jesus rebuked him, saying, Hold thy peace, and come out of him. And when the devil had thrown him in the midst, he came out of him, and hurt him not.

36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.

37 And the fame of him went out into every place of the country round about.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my profession I work closely with cardiologists and a nuclear physicist.
    One cardiologist that I’ve known for a few decades is a conservative Jew.
    The nuclear technologist friend considers himself an atheist. The three of us occasionally have polite religious conversations.
    It bothers my atheist friend to no end when I say, of the three of us, he is the most religious.

You see, I have a God that has proved himself to me over and over again. My Jewish friend can say the same. But my poor new-age atheist friend believes so strongly in empty materialism; life is what is around us and nothing more.

As many times as I and others have shared the gospel with him, he just turns away, dismissing it, knowing in his own mind that he is right. He is blinded by an empty religious belief. So sad...

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Perhaps his conscience is not yet seared. keep up the steady witness you have begun with him, with questions that might be as seeds for him to mull over:Thumbsup:Thumbsup:Thumbsup. It will work towards his damnation, or salvation;
    2cor2:
    14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:

16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?

17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One thing that unsaved religious professors do, is attempt to explain away biblical teaching as the teachings of men.
    Any excuse will do if someone seeks to avoid facing the truth of God.
    Unsaved men want to de-throne God and put self upon the throne.
    This is not possible, however they are in unbelief as those described in psalm 10...they do not believe they will answer to God for it.
    Psalm 10 King James Version (KJV)
    10 Why standest thou afar off, O Lord? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?

2 The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.

3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the Lord abhorreth.

4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.

5 His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.

6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.

7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.

8 He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.

9 He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net.

10 He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.

11 He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.

12 Arise, O Lord; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.

13 Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.

14 Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.

15 Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none.

16 The Lord is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.

17 Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

18 To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we need to remember is that we cannot "witness" someone to heaven.

2 Corinthians 4:5-7 5 For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake. 6 For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;

While the passage above is about Paul's apostolic ministry, there is a truth in Paul's words that echo our role in sharing the Gospel. We are but earthen vessels. We have no power in ourselves to convert a sinner and give him an understanding of the truth. That is the role of the Holy Spirit. He is able to pierce through the stone-cold heart of sinners, even religious sinners. We are not in a contest with sinners. No one will go to heaven or hell because we were not smart enough or eloquent enough. My Bible tells me that the Gospel is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes. What a great honor it is for Almighty God to use earthen vessels like us to proclaim the good news.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We worked together for 20 years. Unfortunately he retired about 2 years ago and we rarely see each other. He knew my witness; I'd discussed it with him quite a bit. He's still in my prayers.

But there were times when a patient would witness to me, (not knowing that I was a Christian) - usually I'd identify myself.
    Once or twice though (when my co-worker was present) I began to ask key questions and played the part of an unsaved person just so my co-worker would hear answers to questions that he'd never ask. :Sneaky

Rob

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unsaved persons devoid of biblical truth often create their own version of God, and in reality their own gospel.
    It seems much easier to do that.
    Instead of learning mainstream teaching they invent teaching that fits their emotional feeling of how they think things should be, rather than what is declared.

This conduct is seen in scripture;
    Judges 17:6
    In those days there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

isa29:
    10 For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

15 Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There will always be those (even believers who should know better) who will follow "what is right to man, but the end is death..." (Proverbs 14:12)

I don't have nearly as much contact as I once did with those who are academics and walk in the broad way.

When I do, I don't spend a lot of time in the distractions and "doubtful disputations." I focus upon the life and work of the Lord Jesus Christ. A lot of the casual conversation participations by me was/is me inserting phrases and tidbits of Scriptures. This way the person is not sense a confrontation from me and the conversations can be wide ranging, but the Holy Spirit can use the Scriptures that I slip in.

Also, the tune on my lips. When I was going about, I often hummed. Amazing how many (remember I was much younger) would recognize the tunes as songs they once sang in church. The songs made my heart merry, and the merriness of my heart was infectious.

However, here it is important (imo) for the believer to understand. Evil folks are appointed to fulfill that purpose God intended for them. I realize that Jude is written to the assembly, but it also can be applied to the workplace.
    For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation, ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let us resolve to talk more to believers about the Bible when we meet them. Alas, the conversation of Christians, when they do meet, is often sadly unprofitable! How many frivolous, and trifling, and uncharitable things are said!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unsaved religious persons can many times think that they can know what other people are thinking. They ascribe evil motives and invent false reports about people they want to be critical of.

You would think that a grown person would not give themselves to such a putrid task. Unsaved persons are perishing without the hope of the gospel, and yet such persons have a fixed agenda with their thoughts and ideas central, rather than Jesus.
    Here are a couple of examples of this sinful conduct.

3 And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.

2 And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.

3 And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth.

4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

3jn:
    9 I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.

10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

11 Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good points!

This is also part of what Paul was attempting to instruct the Ephesians in contrast to that of the former ways they conducted themselves when ungodly.

He was giving them "talking points" in which most believers throughout history have ignored.

1Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; 2and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.

3But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;4and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9(for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light.

15Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.
    Perhaps for another thread, but when looking at this passage, what place then does a believer have at the movie house, the athletic events, the concert centers, and so forth, were participation in "unfruitful deeds of darkness" are presented and supported?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    These truths are interrelated. They spill over into all areas of life. Natural men who pretend to be believers can put on a facade, a religious veneer.
    The flesh cannot sustain it however, and the sin oozes out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are to labor in the fields white with harvest, shake the dirt of our sandals when we encounter those who are not "of My sheep." I once visited a church where the "Pastor" did not believe Jesus rose from the dead.
    It is a hard decision when abandon a lost person, and move on to more fertile ground. But we are to be "good" or "wise" stewards.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By asking them appropriate nonfrontational questions.
    Such as, if you had the oppertunity to explain to someone how to become a Christian, how would you give the explanation? With similar follow up questions. This to diagnose spiritual need. To obtain the oppretonity to hopefully lead them to understand and believe the gift of salvation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, listening is an important skill to develop in trying to come along side a person in need.

• Agree Agree x 1