1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

... until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HankD, Oct 28, 2018.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

So, by any stretch of the imagination could May 14,1948 when Israel became a nation again in one day be the fulfillment of Jesus prediction?

Then 70 years later in 2018:
    Donald Trump says his controversial decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital was a 'wonderful thing'

At the time of this post Israel and Iran are at all out war.
    Israel's Secret War Against Iran Is Widening

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Might it be when the presence of Gentiles are in some way restricted from Jerusalem? And on account that the Jewish Temple had been rebuilt. (In order for 2 Thessalonians 2:4 to occur).

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, well the nation of Israel last year re-instituted the Sanhedrin and they have plans to rebuild the temple.
    The feeling is that the Temple does NOT necessarily have to be built at the Temple Mount but at an undisclosed place in the City of David.
    Expectations of conflict with Palestinians.

A Red Heifer has been discovered.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/09/prophecy-fulfilled-after-red-cow-is-born-at-temple-of-israel/

#3 HankD, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  4. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

Jesus does not say in the immediate context what happens after "the times of the Gentiles" but continues his warning prophecy about the destruction. There is the logical reasoning that Jerusalem will be restored, but that is not prophesied by Jesus, nor the Apostles.

Paul in Rom. 11 writes about present blindness until the fullness of the Gentiles comes in. - and so all Israel will be saved. Did the fulness of the Gentiles come in in 1948?

I don't see in the New Covenant Scriptures the reestablishment of Jerusalem as an earthly, Jewish city. Jerusalem is heavenly & all the redeemed comprise Israel - the people of God.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A multitude of promises are given to national Israel in the OT.

An earthly national Israel does not preclude it as a "spiritual" Israel.

After the time of The Tribulation (Jacob's Trouble) Israel emerges as the purified national Israel.

Malachi 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coudl that be referring to when Antichrist signs a treaty fro Muslim/Israel peace?

7. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fulfilled in & by the LORD Jesus Christ & the Gospel.
    Acts 3:19-26
    23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Believing Israel includes earthly national Christ-believing Jews & Gentiles. Ephesians 2 & Acts 3:25-26, Gen. 12:1-3

After the crucifixion, the Gospel church Israel emerges as the purified Israel, formed on the day of Pentecost with 3,000 Jews from every nation under heaven. The church continues to grow, including priests & Pharisees, before adding Gentiles.

Jeremiah was writing to the exiles, & the "trouble" is probably that recorded in Esther. I believe that we should primarily understand prophecy in its context, and then as interpreted by Jesus & the Apostles.

Malachi (one of the post-exile prophets) is preparing the Jews for the coming of the Messiah, preceded by John. But note the last verse in the OT -
    5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: 6 and he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to expand your vision to include the gentiles in the eschatology of the promise to Abraham.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't you read the Scriptures I quoted? Acts 3 makes it clear that the promises to Abraham were & are being fulfilled in & by the LORD Jesus Christ through the Gospel.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This promise was based upon an assumption that Israel (to whom this message was being given at the time) would accept it.

They did not.

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

Acts 18:6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

Acts 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

#10 HankD, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need to distinguish between the political nation, Israel, & "my people, Israel." God has a people whom he calls "my people" with the oft repeated expression, "you will be my people, I will be your God" in various forms, -
    Jer. 31:33 but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    including references to Gentile inclusion -
    Hos. 2:23 And I will sow her unto me in the earth;
    and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy;
    and I will say to them which were not my people,
    Thou art my people;
    and they shall say, Thou art my God.

Zec. 2:10 Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the Lord. 11 And many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the Lord of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

2 Cor. 6:16 and what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    Many thousands of the people of Israel responded to John's preaching, & were sent to follow Jesus. Also many responded to Jesus' preaching, while numbers are beyond counting after Pentecost, - 3,000, 5,000, multitudes both of men and women, and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

When Elijah complained he was alone, God assured him of 7,000, also quoted in Rom. 11.

The truth is that the people of Israel did believe, in vast numbers, & formed the community called the "church." God's purpose for his redeemed people was clearly not the physical nation, but the holy nation, comprising believers, both of Israel & the Gentiles. He is gathering them, us, by the Gospel. The nation in the once promised land is irrelevant to prophecy - see Hebrews 11 & 12, Gal. 4. The Gospel promised land is the NH&NE. 2 Peter 3.

The "millennium" is the present Gospel age which Peter explains is the time for repentance, which will come to an end when Jesus returns. 2 Peter 3.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus has not yet installed His Kingdom in full here upon this earth, and so is not the messianic Age!

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with a lot of what you say.
    We can both just keep looking up and watching brother.

Mark 13
    35 Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:
    36 Lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping.
    37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

• Like Like x 1