1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Update on Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Tom Butler, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

CBS and others are reporting that Florida Coach Urban Meyer has changed his mind and decided to remain as coach. However, he will take an indeifinte leave of absence, apparently to deal with the health problems.

Good news for Florida fans, and for all of us who wish him well personally, and great ill when he plays my favorite teams.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

There are scores of rumors as to why this is. One is that the coaches on the wish list all said no since Meyer was going to be selecting and supervising the coach. Who wants that? Another is that the monumental rebuilding year coming up next year would give Meyer a year or so off and then come back. This would give time for the anxiety issue to get under control.

John Pennington at www.mrsec.com said it best:

And yet again:
    I know some will point to the fact that I am a fan of a inter-division rival and say I'm biased, but here's why I think this is bad for Florida, Urban, and just bad all the way around.

1. Who's your coach come Jan 2? Is it Urban? Is it Steve Addazio? This is starting to look like what happened at FSU, and it claimed the careers of Mickey Andrews and ultimately Bobby Bowden. And when does the indefinite period wear off? I know it's supposed to be Addazio, but when Meyer's in the office, you really think they're going to run to Steve? Worse yet, what if someone does?
    2. Who's handling recruiting? See above
    3. Who's handling the hiring of the coaching vacancies on the staff? See two steps above.
    4. What if, at the end of the indefinite period, Meyer decides not to coach anymore. Who is your coach then? Will Willingham be available? Patterson? It
    5. What about the recruits? FL fans are panicking, and well they should. Several FL recruits have reopened their recruitment. This is going to be an enormous weapon for rivals to use against FL. More than one commentator suggests that Machen used the recruiting angle to get him not to resign. This could backfire and the tumult surrounding the situation could harm more than if Meyer had simply resigned.
    6. Most importantly, what does this say to Meyer's family? Last night, I went to bed thinking this was the most family-oriented man in America. He had two titles, domination of the SEC East, enough money for his grandchildren's grandchildren to live comfortably, and the world by the tail. And he was giving it all up for health and family. Now, he's decided that the fame, fortune, and glory are far more important. In less than 24 hours he's gone from the most respected coach in America to quite possibly the least. "I want to do right by my family" Meyer said "and my second family are my players and our staff," he said." Looks like famliy #2 has been given a promotion.
    7. Meyer has said he would be out of coaching by mid decade. Will he flip-flop on this as well? Or is this flip-flop a ploy to get Jeremy Foley the axe, as has been floated around the Internet. Time will tell.

I hope Urban's health improves enough to pursue whatever career he chooses. It's disappointing he decided against choosing the career field of husband, father, and friend. By doing so, he could've won a championship that is the most noble and prized in the world. But he lost, and he was outcoached in the process. These two things don't happen to Meyer often. But they happened in the "Big One" that matters the most.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was rumored that Meyer made his latest decision while watching a Vikings game. :laugh:

I do wish him well in whatever he feels like needs to be done.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Orlando Sentinel's Jeremy Fowler reported that he received a text from Meyer's wife at 11am Sun that Urban would definitely resign, and there was "no chance" he'd change his mind. The text was sent during the practice, roughly near the time UM called Foley and said he HAD changed his mind and wanted to talk. So Urban Meyer, 17 hours earlier, wants to quit to be with his family, and changed his mind without even talking to this family.

This is getting more and more sad with every passing story. I've never gone so quickly from adoration/respect to out and out loathing and pity for someone.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

My thoughts? He must've gotten a raise.

That seems to improve anyone's health.

Congrats to Florida...looks like you'll have someone to manage your felons after all.