1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

US marines in hot water over Christian coins in Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I wonder what would happen if allied Muslim Iraqi soldiers in the US for training were to pass out coins with passages from the Koran?

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Marines represent the United States of America, not a church. This is entirely inappropriate. They are not there to proselytize. This only reinforces the enemy's view that we are on a Christian crusade.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I applaud these guys for good intentions, but they clearly went against standing orders. In other words, handing these out amounted to disobeying a lawful order given by officers appointed over them. I've been there - I know what the rules are...

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Spoken like a true card carrying member of the ACLU! :thumbs:

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I see you artfully avoided the question.

7. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

As a retired military officer, I see nothing wrong with what they did. Their FIRST priority is to fulfill their duties as Christians - win the lost (THAT is eternal). Their second priority is to fulfill their duties as marines.

How many people are going to hell today because Christians have been convinced that they should be PC and NOT tell others how important a personal relationship with Jesus is?

Every single Muslim in the world will spend an eternity (that is FOREVER) in hell if they don't accept Christ as their personal Savior. It takes a lot of hate to hide this fact from them. It takes a lot of love to tell them despite the personal dangers.

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

In response to your question, absolutely nothing would happen. And if someone did try to do something they would be viewed as intolerant.
    The ACLU would defend the Iraqi's rights to distribute the coins in the name of diversity, they would be awarded a prayer rug, and a certificate to the linen mill for a lifetime supply of body wrap, otherwise known as Islamic clothing !
    Then people like C4K could rejoice that everything is right in the world! :thumbs:

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians are commanded to share the Gospel.

End of story.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Fair enough - out of uniform, as private individuals.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong.

That's similar to voting for Godless people.

There is no on/off switch for being a Christian.

12. Magnetic Poles

Wrong. One doesn't have to switch of being a Christian to be smart enough to not proselytize citizens of an invaded nation when on duty. You don't have to be preaching to anyone to be a Christian. Wisdom...it is hard for some to understand the appropriate time and place for things. To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.

There is no cross on the uniform, and while in it, one represents the USA.

#12 Magnetic Poles, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Apparently you do have an on/off switch for your Christianity.

But I already knew that.

Pity.

14. PK

PK New Member

Wow! I hear Europe is a nice place to live. (England)

15. Magnetic Poles

As a free person, you can go there if you like. I'd like to visit there someday myself. But what does that have to do with the topic?

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Clearly - and I will ignore your implication that I think otherwise.

These were armed trooped at military checkpoints passing out these items.

God doesn't need bully tactics. In fact Christians don't need, or should they use, bully tactics to share the gospel.

I am 100% opposed to this kind of tactic. The troops, or their commanders, or whoever is responsible should be in hot water.

Sorry, I forgot the verse that says, "They will know you are Christians by the guns strapped to your side when you give them My word."

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

There is no evidence to indicate that "bully tactics" were being used.

Marines carry weapons. They also carry candy bars and toys to pass out to kids. That does not mean Christian Marines are excused or biblically exempt from Jesus's command to share the Gospel.

I believe you may be "100% opposed" to a tactic that is only being used in your mind.

Just as you have forgotten that fictional verse, you are also choosing to ignore verses that are not fictional at all.

You don't get to pick and choose, Roger.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

None of us do.

19. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Giving someone a coin with a verse on it, with no interaction explaining who God is, who Jesus is, what happened at the cross, grace and faith, is not sharing the Gospel.

20. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

There are really only two types of Christian (and, when I say "Christian," I mean born-again, on their way to heaven, trusting in Jesus alone as their only way to heaven type Chirstian). The two types are:

1. Those Christans that are actively sharing their faith with others. The best way (like Guitarman illuded to) is by verbally explaining to people that they are sinners in need of a Savior, that Jesus paid the price for their sins, that all they have to do is trust Jesus to have a home in heaven. Not as effective is passing out tracts (or coins). This should not be the primary method of sharing the gospel but only a backup.

2. The second type of Christian is the backslider.

Those really are the only two options. You are either following the great commission - actively sharing your faith in such a way that people can respond with saving faith - or you are not. I don't mean life style evangelism or servant evangelism or any other feel good, non-effective substitute. I mean actually telling peolpe the gospel.

The marine handing out coins falls in the first category. He was doing what God has commanded us all to do. And, I pray that he was doing more than just handing out coins. OI pray that he was actually talking to those that showed an interest in the coins he was handing out.

God outranks the general. God's laws take priority over local laws and customs.

When you have the priorities right it all really falls into place very easily. Salvation makes an eternal difference. The Muslims in Iraq will spend eternity in hell if they don't accept Christ as their Savior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.