1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

US marines in hot water over Christian coins in Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So the Nazi soldiers whose belt buckles said "God With Us" were sharing the gospel?

[​IMG][​IMG]

This tactic creates confusion among the indiginous Muslims, making them think we are invading in the name of Christ. Sad that Christians support such lunacy. Bad witnessing and bad impressions of Americans.

No edit - C4K

#21 Magnetic Poles, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What passage is that found in?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In the same chapter that says we must pass out coins with a verse on them every waking hour in order to "share" the gospel.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then your poblem is the coins. Then you wouldnt object if they were handning out Bibles and giving a clear presentation of the gospel?

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I believe you are missing Roger's point entirely. :rolleyes:

6. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

I must also be missing the point. Do you guys want the Muslims to spend eternity in hell? I'm confused with your point.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My point is that there are far better ways to present the gospel than by using an image of force and authority such as an arm soldier in full uniform.

There is no where in the word of God that says these guys must give out gospel coins while in uniform. I contend that their methodology and offensive. We should never bring offence to the gospel with our methodology.

Your comment about wanting people to go to hell is uncalled for.

8. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

Those "coins" have the entire Roman Road on them. At least they are doing something to get the gospel to a nation full of peolpe on their way to a Christless eternity.

Let me get this straight. You are comparing a fellow brother in Christ who is trying (in a very dangerous environment) to get the gospel out with Nazis? Am I the only Christian on this board that thinks that is sick and completely uncalled for?

9. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

I am a retired Air Force Major. I witnessed to people all over the world while in and out of uniform. You guys, honestly, have no idea what you are talking about. The marine is NOT coming across as you are trying to paint him. I am actually at a complete loss that a true Christian would even think that what the marines are doing is wrong.

Maybe you need to go someplace overseas where American soldiers are sharing their faith with people that would not otherwise hear the good news if the soldier wasn't there. Maybe you would see what is really happening.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me introduce you to Magnetic Poles.

Get used to it. He's not the only Christian on this board that puts up all sorts of barriers to spreading the Gospel.

Comparing a Christian to a Nazi is only one of them.

Welcome aboard, Major.

#30 carpro, Jun 4, 2008
  11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Maybe you should stop trying to determine who are true Christians based on your opinions.

No one is questioning these young soldiers or their faith. I am questioning their wisdom in knowingly doing something armed and in uniform that they know is going to cause on offence.

#31 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 4, 2008
  12. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

I'm not trying to say who is and isn't a true Christian. What I'm trying to get across is (1) how little gospel is being presented in some parts of the world, (2) there are Christians in uniform that know it is their responsibility to share the gospel with everyone they come in contact with and (3) it appears that some of the people commenting on the board have not really been to an area where a soldier is sharing his faith becuase (if they had) they would know that it is not like it is being portrayed on the board. I guess I am just frustrated and ask that you will forgive any offense.

The gospel MUST go out. God uses anyone that is willing - even soldiers.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Fair enough - and I understand your point.

However, I continue to contend that we must be wise in the way we share the gospel. If i were to walk into the local Catholic church during mass and start passing out tracts I would be causing an unneeded offence. In this nation with such a strong Catholic heritage I could well hurt the cause of Christ more than help it.

The gospel indeed must go out, and if the message caused offence so be it. But our methods should not cause offence.

14. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

Just a short testimony.

I was in the hills of the Philippines working with a bunch of natives several years ago. There was word that there could be some terrorist activity so our area was heavily gaurded by Philipino special forces. Some of them sat with me during their break. Everyone had automatic weapons on their laps. Most of us had grenades strapped to our web gear. As we sat down together, weapons on laps and close at hand, I went through a simple gospel presentation. I talked about our sin nature and the fact that sin must be punished. I talked about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins and rising from the dead. I talked about how, in simple faith, we can know through trusting in Jesus that we have a home in heaven. Every soldier sitting in the circle bowed their heads and asked Jesus to come into their hearts.

Later in the week, when we were back in the base camp, I spoke with their colonel. He also prayed to accept Christ. I still keep in contact with him to this day.

God tells us that His word will not return void. The Holy Spirit knows a soldier can be intimidating if he is not careful. He gives us the fruit of the Spirit and He also touches the heart of the one we are talking with. God sends Christians in uniform all over the world to places a missionary could never reach. And the soldiers that are willing can leave an eternal impact to the area they are asked to serve in.

Despite what you hear in the news, most people around the world look on American soldiers as heroes to be sought after not monsters to be avoided.

To tell a Christian, just because he is in uniform, that he can't tell a people that he loves (and loves enough to die for) the most important message in the world is to stick a knife in his heart.

15. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

Roger, I agree 100% that we can not cause offense and hurt the cause of Christ by being insensitive. I guess I'm saying that I don't think the marines were doing that. Someone has to tell the Iraqi people that God loves them so much He sent His Son to die in their place.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Fair enough my brother. I am glad we got that sorted. You have given me a new perspective on the story and need to evaluate my thoughts.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Handing out a coin is a very non-confrontational way to do that.

Those that are interested may become seekers and come back with questions.

The muslim reaction illustrates once again how insecure they are about their faith.

18. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Wonderful testimony. Thanks for sharing. There will always be fault finders and nay sayers, but it is the Spirit of the Lord that we are to follow.

19. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow Bob, thank you sincerely for that testimony....I really needed that little shot in the arm at this point.....

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

From the returning Christians I talk to, and hear of, they observe soldiers sharing their faith in honorable ways. I think no one here has displayed a better perspective on this issue than the Major, who has been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.