1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

USA TODAY - Top 25 Sports scandals

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Jul 10, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

oh, btw, this is discussing sports scandals that occured in the last 25 years.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Len Bias should be higher, but he is not, because it occurred at a time when the ESPN Machine was not as pervasive. But it was a huge story at the time. Duke Lacrosse should not even be on the list - it will be an afterthought within a few years. It only made the list because it was so recent.

What about Marge Schott and her Nazi statements?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Marge's comments are such a non-story that they should not be on here. The fact that they were used to run her out of baseball - maybe.

You have a point about the Duke case. However, the fact that one of America's elite schools got in trouble makes it a little noteworthy. Also, it spilled over into the consciousness of culture in general.

I agree with you about Len Bias.

I'm surprised the 1997 Heisman scandal (Woodson wins over Peyton Manning and the furor that both precipitated and followed) didn't make the list. It took years for the Heisman to even come close to recovering. Lost sponsorship, the host declared bankruptcy, and the Walter Camp foundation may still have their thing in place in reaction to Woodson.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the overdose death of Browns safety Don Rodgers in '85 could have made the top 25. Coming off a good rookie season, having him in the secondary could have changed a couple of those Denver Bronco moments (The Drive...The Fumble).

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Keep dreaming Web :)

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

This one is not quite as questionable as the other list, i think. Pete Rose is probably always going to be #1, unless he gets in the HoF.

Too bad this is only for the last 25 years though, probably the biggest sports scandal of all time is the 1919 Chicago White/Black Sox team.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Verrrrrrry interesting.