1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

USCIS Flash Cards

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What bothers you?

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing bothered me at all, but I would not call us a Republic anymore, but a dreadful Democracy.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The United States is not nor has ever been a democracy. We are a Constituational Republic.

As far as incorrect info on the cards:

1. What did the The Emancipation Proclamation do:
    A) freed the slaves
    CORRECT ANSWER: Freed the slaves in any state which had rebelled against the Unted States (some counties in VA and LA were exempted)

2) How many states are there
    A) 50
    CORRECT ANSWER: 46

3. What does the Supreme Court do
    A) Interpret the Constitution
    Actually, some scholars disagree with that doctrine

4. Who was President during the Civil War
    a) Lincoln
    Actually, the US has never had a civil war. A civil war is one in which 2 factions are seeking to control the govt. In 1860-5, the CSA was not seeking control of Washington. Has the CSA won the war, it would have been know as WSI - War of Southern Independence

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You say there are only 46 states?

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Kentucky is a commonwealth, not a state.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Cannot a country be both a democracy and a republic? Indeed, do not both words mean substantially the same thing? According to my dictionary, a democracy is a country with a government elected by the people, and a republic is a political system or form of government in which people elect representatives to exercise power for them.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Kentucky not a state? Its own official website http://kentucky.gov/ says that it is:
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]The Commonwealth of Kentucky was admitted into the Union as the fifteenth state in 1792. [/FONT]

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

This govt. could not have grown into the monstrous behemoth it is as a Republic. Once the people and Congressmen figured out they could tap the treasury for political and financial gain, it started behaving as a democracy. But we still call ourselves a C. Republic. I suppose you're right in the purer sense, but I feel I'm right in the practical sense.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

"State" refers to a sovereign nation.

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I'm picky! Several of the cards bother me to varying degree and for various reasons. Overall they have a highly liberal undertone.

Here's just a few of my thoughts.

33 - "What are the duties of the Supreme Court?" "To interpret and explain the laws"

Comment: Why does the law need to be "explained" by the Supreme Court? Shouldn't the people should know what the law means when it was prepared by their representatives?

68 - "Who helped the Pilgrims in America?" "The American Indians / Native Americans"

Comment: American Indians traded with the new Americans. In some cases they helped but in others they were hostile to the new Americans and to each other as well. Americans made America what it is by their own hard work and ingenuity as they moved inland and western to settle and cultivate the land and make use of its vast natural resources.

87 - "Where does freedom of speech come from?" "The Bill of Rights."

Comment: Does it "come from" the Bill of Rights or is it merely recorded in the Bill of Rights to remind the government it is ours? The government doesn't give us anything!

90 - "Name one of the purposes of the United Nations." "For countries to discuss and try to resolve world problems or to provide economic aid to many countries."

Comment: What does the UN have to do with USA citizenship? Nothing!

91 - "Name one benefit of being a citizen of the United States." "To obtain Federal Government jobs, to travel with a U.S. passport, or to petition for close relatives to come to the United States to live."

Comment: Are these good reasons to become an American citizen? Is becoming a Federal government worker the best we have to offer? Is advertising for getting "close relatives" to become American citizens a reason to become a citizen? How about to enjoy the benefits of liberty and opportunity to work hard and prosper from the fruits of one's own labor?

93 - "What is the most important right granted to United States citizens?" "The right to vote."

Comment: Who "grants" it - the government? No way! We claimed our right to be represented in our revolution. The government gives us nothing!

#12 Dragoon68, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I think you're correct. We have degenerated from a republic to a democracy and we're on the way further down the pecking order of choices among governments.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The four US "Commonwealths" that are also states, merely use that older terminology in their constitutions. As far as a member of The United States under the constitution, they are indeed, states. The terms in this context are synonymous. In the case of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, they are not.

15. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

It can do, but surely the 50 "states" in the US are not 50 sovereign nations?

16. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Although, Texas and Hawaii were indeed just that. The Republic of Texas voted to become a U.S. state, while Hawaii was illegally annexed to benefit the fruit cartel, with the U.S. overthrowing its monarch.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Rhode Island was "blackmailed" by being told if they did not sign the Constitution, they would be treated as a foreign nation.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here is an idea for 46 states. Lets give China California, New Jersey, New York, and Massacuhssetts to pay off our national debt.

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

As most Americans I know that there are 50 states, although when I was in elementary school there were only 48.

20. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Let's throw in Kentucky too. That way they can learn about hillbillies and inbreeding. :laugh: