1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Use of Pot Lucks to Increase Attendance

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it is as it is their favorite thing to bring up when it suits them.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Gossip is talk about a specific incident that may or may not be true for the purpose of enjoyment at other people's expense. This is a generic discussion about pot lucks in relation to attendance. "It looks like it to me" is your quote. Just how does gossip look? I thought it was heard.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most Churches Use This Event...

....and if they do, may I suggest they give away Rick Warrens newest book, "The Daniel Plan - 40 Days to a Healthier You" as a door prise.... :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0310344298/?tag=baptis04-20

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they publish a menu also? My MIL told me that these dinners have become common in Florida....feed them and they will come is her joke about the dinners.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have one of those signs out front that always has a message on it. They publicize their community meal on the sign. I am sure they are getting people to turn out for the meals. How many people? I have no idea.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If these "so called" churches taught and lived Christ then I could see the value of a fellowship meal.....as for me, I need to see Christianity in action in order to want to join. When meals become a gimmick ....like Jesus said about the salt....it looses its ability to be good for anything and becomes garbage. And I think that's what Satturn Neptune is alluding to. Churches have made serving a meal a main tactic for pulling in unchurchrd when its the gospel and how folks apply it to their lives that should be displayed and stressed.

7. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I would LOVE to see the standard by which you accuse others of being liberals, & the evidence in my life by which you compare me to that standard. Or do you just use "liberal" as an attack on anyone who is not in ideological lock-step with you? A nonanswer is an answer.

Biblical references with your answer would be wonderful. Without them, your standard & use of "liberal" is just personal opinion & religious malfeasance.

#27 michael-acts17:11, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Describe gluttony and tell me why its a sin....thanks

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have accused every overweight (whatever that means to you) pastor of the sin of gluttony for having a pot luck dinner. You claim to know their motives - that they relish in showing off their sin. You then rail against them for it .

In spite of what you think, you do not know (you would have to be God to truly know what is in their hearts) their motives. This is why I say what you are doing looks just like gossip to me.

While I don't think these type of dinners are a good way to evangelise, God can use these just as he can use any other method of evangelism thought up by us.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

... which, in the case of your OP, stated that "we" -- collectively, Baptists -- do this. We don't. Not in this area.

No, I'm missing out on meals because there isn't a church in this area that does such a thing. Perhaps it is a practice in your area, but not in mine.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Been Baptist about all my life, grew up with potlucks, don't recall a lot of visitors at them, only those who happened to be visiting on that day, by far mostly the members participate after Sunday morning services, women cook and show off new & old recipes, kids running and playing, men especially the PBs not so much SBs, discuss a lot about scripture. Good sound fellowship, not a gimmick to attract visitors.

#31 kyredneck, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whew! Misread the thread title as "Use of Pot Leads to Increased Attendance"

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

It might ... in some more liberal churches. :laugh:

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course, your churches are in the promised land, west of the Missouri I suppose. Close to the Jordan, but no cigar.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, look at it this way. If your offerings and tithes are down, you can always go to work for Jenny Craig pictures posing in their "before" pictures.

[​IMG]

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now there is a great idea......BYOBong......got my attention. Also, especially down in da woods, Mens meetings to craft a still---- Id go to those!:thumbsup:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the East, the promised land in Florida. You can sit on the ole porch at night & listen to da enchanting song of the Debbie Wasserman Schultz Snow Bird singing the Love Song to the AHC Program (sounds a bit winy & nasaly to me though)

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will bet those opossum stews & coon roasts were outa this world.....what memories you must have! :laugh: Up here its baked Ziti & Kraft Mac n cheese. Generally someone brings in a pizza too. that cuisine is to die for.....some have. :smilewinkgrin:

19. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist