1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use of title Pastor

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by pops, Mar 18, 2004.

1. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

good to meet you also, sorry to say i am not a doc. but i should be.
    anyway berean baptist would be a good denomination name. what are your views regarding altar calls as done in the baptist tradition?

2. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Dak, just kidding on the "new" Berean denom.... ;) I just love the concept of testing all to the Word of God. Just as the Bereans did. What an incredible example of obedience. Even checking and validating what Paul preached, to the Word of God..

The altar call issue?

I've heard people tell of many who seem to repeatedly go to altar calls for whatever reason. I have seen people who emotionally respond to altar calls, and not just in Baptist churches, and do it because friends do, or they get overcome by feelings of the moment. Hard to get a handle on all the issues and reasons why. There are so many denominational splits and different views on all these issues.

3. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

No disrespect meant but hogwash. Schooling is absolutely a biblical requirment. It occurs many times throughout scripture. Schooling for the ministry is a must, what kind of schooling is up to the people of the time.

Pastor is a title yes, but a place of earned respect as well. It tells a people about the ministry of the man. When a church refers to the man of God as "Preacher" either they do not understand his job requirments or he is not fulfilling them in the least. A church that calls the man of God "Pastor" tells me that that man cares for and goes out of his way for the people of the church. He shepherds them as they are supposed to be and not attempted to herd them.