1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Using a Tablet as a Church Bible - Good Idea or Not?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TripleB, Nov 27, 2012.

1. TripleB

TripleB New Member

I'm considering the purchase of a Tablet (probably either the Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 2 7") to use as my Bible I take to church.

On my Droid 4 phone I have the Bible You Version App that I love. It has most of the translations (almost all you can download to the phone so you don't have to have Wifi to view them), you can go from one translation to another in 2 presses, in Sunday School we use HCSV and in Preaching we use KJV (so it would be very simple to switch back and forth), and in 2 presses I could see how many other translations translate the passages we are studying.

I'm thinking of going with a Tablet because it would be a lot easier to see than my Droid 4 and with a leather case (about $16) on the Tablet I think it would look a little more appropriate than me having out my phone in church.

So my questions are:
    1) Do you think using a Tablet with a Bible App is inappropriate at church or a good idea because of the reasons mentioned above?
    2) Do you feel that others (who can't see what I'm looking at) will feel I'm just playing something on the Tablet?
    3) Do you know of anyone who does this at your church?
    4) What Tablet would you recommend? (I'm sort of leaning towards the Nexus 7 because it gets amazing reviews and I know it uses Google Play just like my Droid 4)

Thanks for any and help/advice you can give.

TripleB

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I see no problem with it. there are several in our church of 200 who do this...several ipads, kindle fires, & my wife uses her kindle (old black & white version) for this. I have no expertise as to which tablet is best...

I think it is not inappropriate, as long as you can resist the urge to do other activities during the sermon:smilewinkgrin:

I suspect that if you don't see others doing this in your church yet, it's coming soon.

remember that for 1,500 yrs after Christ, most christians did not have individual bibles at all! people probably thought it was odd when people started bringing books to church!

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been carrying my iPad to church as my regular Bible for more than two years. At first, I would carry a printed Bible, along with the iPad, but I found that I wasn't using the printed Bible very much at all.

I have a number of Bible apps on my iPad and they include MANY different translations. Furthermore, I can always pull up interlinear Hebrew and Greek texts to follow along in Sunday School or in sermons, as necessary. Beyond all of that, I have language tools available if there's a question.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Guess I'm getting to be an antique, as I still prefer to open my Bible during Sunday morning services. Then, close it to hear the message, unless/until another passage is referenced.

"Electronics" are beginning to appear in our church, too. Especially texting.

Head bowed in prayer? Nope, that younger person sitting next to me, has to stay in contact with someone, even during times of prayer.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

There is certainly at temptation to "play" on devices durring a church service, but the problem is not the technology, but our use of it.

I remember times when I would get distracted reading the maps and notes in my study bible and miss half the sermon. I'm pretty sure I don't need any electronics to take my focus away from where it should be. I can do that all by myself!

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I use my iPad for almost everything these days, including what I carry on Sundays. Through it I have more access to more stuff on a passage or topic than any other way. I use the YouVersion, Accordance, BlueLetterBible, Logos, and Glo Bible apps on Sundays. I take notes, using a stylus, on my Note Plus app.

The distraction factor is an issue, but that has been going on since people have had smartphones and cell phones. I make it a point not to open other apps or check email while in a class or service.

Now, when I preach or teach I always carry, and use, a physical Bible though my notes are on my iPad, I found it works better for me and my headers. :)

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I see no problem with it. I have the ESV on my iPhone, though I still carry my Keyword Study Bible in NASB. I like to be able to look up words sometimes. Plus, I can loan my Bible to someone who forgot theirs and still have a backup for myself on hand.

Our senior pastor preaches using his iPad. He controls when the note slides change right from the pulpit.

I have a few ebooks on my iPhone and I am really enjoying it. I love books. I love to read. I am really seeing ereaders as a viable tool for pleasure reading and for ministry.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I personally prefer to use the paper Bible but I find that I can see better on the iPad at this point. So I use it a bit more. :)

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely a good idea. Instant search function, parallel translations. Love it.

Possibility, but if you are merely looking at it and not constantly typing on it most tech aware people will know you are using it as a Bible not a texting or internet browsing.

Nobody does that I know of.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No problems with it in our church. Many do Including one of our pastors. I prefer my iPod touch as it fits in my pocket, and with 3 young kids I need all the hands I can get :)

11. TripleB

TripleB New Member

Thanks for all your input so far. I'm beginning to like the idea more and more...one thing I didn't mention that I like is being able to increase the font size on the tablet. As I've hit my mid 40's my arms aren't quite long enough anymore to get my Bible far enough away from my eyes so I can see the print clearly. :)

But, I asked my wife what she would think if she saw someone with a tablet out in church and she said she would think they weren't paying attention. So now I'm a bit between a rock and a hard place.

I think it would be awesome to have my Sunday School Bible (HCSB) and my Worship Service Bible (NKJ) along with 20 other transtlations in this small piece of technology...being able to within 3 seconds see what words/phrases other translations used...and being able to jot down notes while I'm listening to the Preacher/Sunday School teacher...etc.

But I'm afraid my wife would be embarrassed by me using one because she would be afraid others might think I'm not paying attention.

TripleB

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So be a trailblazer. I'm sure people will come up to you and ask about your tablet. Then you can show them all the cool features you've got and how it helps you to get more out of the sermons.

Does your church have any media aids? Projection screens for showing hymn lyrics or sermon notes, for example? A tablet is merely a technical tool.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

throw a fish sticker in the cover and all is well. It works for cars :)

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

bwahahahaha awesome

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like it!!!

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if people think a car is a bad idea when they "throw a fish sticker on it" they change their mind?

Never hear of it.

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!

Wife's are always right!

My wife doesn't want me to have a beard, so I don't have one.

If your wife would be embarrassed by it, tell her you disagree, but are willing to carry a printed Bible for her sake.

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You could actually talk to your wife and tell her what your thinking. That way she is not stuck with the preconceived idea that tablet users in church are not paying attention. She may even understand your need based on eye sight and become supportive of their use.

I know one woman who is deaf. She can read lips and has implants so she does pretty well in most instances. However, using an iPad with an app that takes spoken words and translates them into text is extremely helpful for her. Her son is also deaf and even with implants cannot hear.

As to beards? I have one. My bride loves the scruffy look. Her vote overrules the older folks who make snide comments about it. LOL Plus, I rather like it.

19. TripleB

TripleB New Member

Don't even go there. I'm out of work for the next three weeks due to Microfracture surgery yesterday. I told my wife I'm not going to shave during those weeks so I can get a good start on my Duck Dynasty beard...she ain't happy!!!

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

TripleB

20. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

LOL Before I got out of the Army I told my bride I was going to grow a ZZ Top beard. She was not excited about that. I keep it fairly trimmed but she seems to prefer it longer now. Go figure..eh?