1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using hi-tech when preaching

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joman, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

Do you think you limit the Holy Spirit when you use powerpoint,big screen when preaching from pulpit?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

No...unless you become a slave to it so you don't "ruin the show."

3. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

I agree with USN. It does limit your ability to be spontaneous, but I've found that the Holy Spirit moves the most when I'm the best prepared. I beleive God knows early in the week what he wants said on Sunday.

4. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    as long as the technology is an aid to the preaching its ok, when it becoes a crutch for it, give up the preaching as well.
    Regards
    Bob

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If we eliminate technology, then let's not use microphones and amplifiers either.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Anything that helps...well...helps.

7. massdak

massdak Active Member
    Site Supporter

who in the world beleives they can limit the Holy Spirit?
    those who preach the gospel never will need any man made props, those that hear the gospel and believe have been drawn.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen brother, but that hi-tech air conditioning unit sure made it easier to listen to the pastor this morning.

Rob

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I could "give it a go" without a mike or amp!! Like ole Spurgeon----and the Metropolitian Tabernacle seated 6000 then. I visited there this past October while touring Wales and the UK----when the German Luftwaffe bombed London---a bomb demolished the worship center of the Tabernacle---and didn't get rebuilt until around 1959---it'll seat about a thousand now---maybe a tad more---I can't recall if Brother Peter Masters needs a mike or not!!!

When we built our new worship center here---we discussed to the length about putting in a video system for powerpoint---then we priced what we needed---and decided we'd "just haff ta" save up for it as the years go buy----folks just don't know how much "Bula Bula" can go into a good system!!!!

Bro. David---who needs no mike!!

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As well as lights, water fountains, bathrooms, etc., etc., etc.!

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

As well as lights, water fountains, bathrooms, etc., etc., etc.! </font>[/QUOTE]Wait---whoa just a minute!!!

I might can do without a mike or an amp----but ain't nobody can do without a bathroom!!! [​IMG]

13. Joman

Joman New Member

Please notice that i'm talking about SUPPORTS for the preaching itself. I'm not talking about lights, amplifiers.

I'm talking about SUPPORT for the preaching.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I carry no bells or whistles with me to the pulpit area---nothing overhead but the ceiling and only the floor underneath---nothin' up my sleave---I'm not sellin' cars---I'm preaching the gospel!!! If I did have powerpoint----#1 I'd probably break every rule in the book about display and #2 I'd definitely break every rule in the powerpoint book about presentation----I can hear 'um now

"Preacher's on point #5 and the powerpoint is still on #1---wait a minute??? #1 and #5 are the same thing!!! Whats wrong with the preacher---can't he get his powerpoint right???!!!!"

Powerpoint is when the Holy Spirit points out a flaw in my life and in the lives of my listeners and then points us toward confession and repentance!!!!

Bro. David

15. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and well said!!

16. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

blackbird, that was a fun post - and would probably recieve a lot of hearty "amens" at a pastors conference. Your post does seem to say though that people that employ a modern method like Powerpoint are trying to sell something. I know you wouldn't go so far as to say ALL who use these things are doing that

While I don't use it as a rule, I have used it - and probably will use it again from time to time. And I assure you, I'm preaching the gospel, too (Powerpoint or not) !

AMEN!!! (Can I get a witness?)

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes, Amen and Amen!! I've got no "quarrels" with preachers who do have powerpoint---I'd have it in my church but we decided that it was a little too expensive to get what we need during the initial building phase of our new worship center---and that we would "save up" for it and purchase it down the line!----but I don't see the difference between powerpointin' and just printing the sermon outline in the bulletin--see?? Boeing 757 jet verses Piper Cub I suppose---both of um will kill ya if . . . well . . . you know!!!

I get a chance to attend some of these "modern day pulpit" seminars and conferences---and they do tell us that if we DO have powerpoint----don't let the stuff on it overpower whats coming out of your mouth-----having the screen to do "back flips" and "cartwheels" and "summersaults" while changing from one point to another----is as distracting to the listeners as a sonic boom!!!! People can't "chew gum and walk" at the same time---they can't listen and watch whats going on on the screen at the same time--especially if the screen is doing all these little dances and flips!!--know what I mean????

One preacher I know(not personally) got his church to purchase this latest "gizmo" --- a little screen and scroller that he could put on the pulpit lectern---so he wouldn't have to "lug" his Bible and complete set of notes up with him---he could just "juge" a button----and his sermon would "boot up" on the little screen on the pulpit---and he would "scroll down" as the sermon progressed----they do sell those things you know???!!! He was preaching along---using that fancy technology----scrolling down---recalling---all the helpful little "thingees"---etc.----a real Gene Rottenberry Star Trek equipped pulpit----that is----until the frazzlin' electricity went out :eek: :eek:

But---yes---Amen and Amen to the gospel!!!

18. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Yeah, I've seen some take their laptops up to the podium and preach with their outline on the computer. An interesting method - and not one I'd choose to use. (In spite of what some think, you cannot ever accurately predict when a computer's going to fail you!)

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not any more than refusal to use a screen or Powerpoint would limit the Holy Spirit.

20. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

My Pastor uses PowerPoint, but he doesn't hesitate to look up and say, "Bill, turn it off," and step forward and share whatever he feels the Lord laid on his heart that day.

He also tends to use it in a "vague" sense. The words to hymns are up there, and unless he does stop it and say, "wait a minute," the scriptures he is referring to.

He said something once about it actually giving him more freedom than "printed orders of worship" because he can adjust the powerpoint himself, right up to the minute he walks up to the podium.