1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using our God-given talents!

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Ingo Breuer, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

When we enter the job world we ask ourselves in what place God wants us to be and how we can use the gifts and talents the Lord has given us.

In today's world some gifts and talents are more popular than others. Big business corporations look for people who are "teamworkers", have "good people skills", and are "flexible" (means you gotta work Sunday morning 10:00 AM. But what if God has not endowed you with those typical characteristics? What if God has made you a person who is good working alone by yourself? How can you start out in the job world then?

That is the situation I am in and I have been in quite a bunch of trouble on account of that. People always want to put me in teams, but I don't like team work because of the bullies, the shifting of blame, pressure, the expectations of others, misunderstanding, closeness to strange people, and the unchristian values of those in the team.

Does anybody have any job ideas/descriptions for those who are self workers - not team workers? I love small businesses, but not mega corporations who tell their employees what to believe and what opinion you are supposed to have ("corporate identity"). Too many times unsaved superiors on the job have asked me to do things which are unethical (lie to customer, buy cigarettes, drink a beer, watch a filthy magazine, ....). I am sick and tired of that. How can I work as unto the Lord among such wicked people? I believe in Jesus first - on the job, too. Praise God! Maybe I need to start building and selling pulpits in my garage shop. I like to work by myself and listen to our local Christian radio station. That is what I call the blessedness of work. It just has to be remunerated.

http://www.solidrockfaith.com

[ October 22, 2002, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

2. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Hi Ingo,

Yeah... I hear ya... I work for one of those "mega-corporations" on a team but thankfully my current boss is a bible-believing Christian too. My previous boss was not though and I was under a great deal of stress. I had just gotten saved and no longer wanted to be the "old man" that I was and my boss, and my peers, didn't understand but it gave me great chance to witness what Jesus had done for me !! I didn't see any change in him in the year that I was there after being saved before I changed departments, but seeds sometimes take a long time to germinate. (The seed planted in me took many, many years)

It's real tough when others around you want you to do things that you don't want to do. Your boss has no right to expect you to do anything unethical. Yes, we are supposed to respect authority but when they ask you to do something that is blatantly wrong, you can refuse, you can even tell them why. Remember, if they give you a hard time because of your willingness to serve Christ, they are only doing what Jesus told us they would do.

I hear the frustration you have and I think I understand. It is a sad, fallen world out there, but let your light shine brother. God has you right where He wants you. You could be the spark that starts a raging fire for Christ where you are.

My prayer for you is based on 1 Kings 19:14-18.
    You're not alone. Be strong in the Lord.
    -John 15