1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using the KJV only in a church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Oct 12, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is your faith that shallow and worthless?

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Just out of curiousity (and you certainly don't have to answer if this is too private)---what version do you typically use? If you use different versions for different times (such as deep study vs. easier reading), what would they be?

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Didn't the RCC make the Vulgate its official Bible for many years?

If I remember correctly it was about 20 years ago that the RCC began to adopt English readings of scripture in mass. Before that Italian was required, but it was my understanding that the members could read from the English (especially the New American Bible). Was the Latin version used in mass up until this time the Vulgate, or a newer Latin version? Does anybody know?

4. David J

David J New Member

Average Apostate Christian, however, is another story. He has fallen in love with the idea that there is no true word of God today.

This has nothing to do with a translation. If that is true then how do you explain the JW's & Mormons who started off with a KJV. Apostate people does not mean that they use a MV. Sorry but that pig will not fly!

ng Christian may also be unaware that there is a controversy over what the word of God actually says. He will go along happily reading whatever version he was given until he realizes that his pew-buddy has a different version that says something else. At first, this may confuse Young Christian and cause him to worry that his bible is defective. He may start to look into this, and possibly come to his own conclusions.

Same old emotional KJVO junk not worthy of a comment!

I have the Word of God in the NASB. No doctrines are missing! No liberal aganda is in the NASB. Am I a NASBOist? Nope!

My pastor is NKJV preferred. We talked about the bible versions issues before I joined the church. We had a very good discussion and he uses the NKJV because he said it is the middle ground. He is not a NKJVOist and he did not say one thing bad about the NASB that I use. Now he is very conservative and we agree that certian renderings in some translations are not as good as the NKJV, KJV and NASB. In other words, we follow the advice of the AV1611 translators in that we use several translations. My pastor often refers to the Greek and gives the multiple English words when it applies. We stand on the perfect word of the Lord. We don't have confusion and chaos. We are orderly and we all stand up for the reading of the Word without any huffs or puffs. We fully understand that an English translation will not be 100% perfect and we fully understand the the Greek and Hebrew was inspired by God.

Our church is growing. We openly say that we believe in the perfect Word of God and we 100% stand on scripture alone.

We are a loving conservative church that stands on the fundamentals of the faith. We are not a liberal church.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

C4K said:

How can it be wrong for an independant Baptist Church to decide to use this version as their sole authority.

Depends on what you mean.

If you mean by "sole authority" that the church has chosen for the sake of consistency to put KJVs in the pews and read it from the pulpit, that's one thing (and though annoying, not at all objectionable).

If you mean that it really is their sole authority, meaning that the church officially deprecates any appeals to other versions or exegesis of the Hebrew or Greek to explain the sense of Scripture, then that church is adopting an erroneous hermeneutic as a matter of policy. That is unacceptable.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Good way to put it, Ransom.

You know what I really get tired of is the KJVO crowd saying that we do not like the KJV and it is full of errors, etc. This is not really true. There may be some translational errors, but no more than in many other translations. The key, is that there are NO DOCTRINAL ERRORS. So, the Bible is technically inerrant when we look at it this way.

Many of us "prefer" an MV because we can understand it much better; this is NOT to down-grade the KJV in any way, shape or form. The KJV is and was a good Bible. If you can understand it, by all means, use it.

I find a lot of misunderstanding by well-meaning people. For example look at the thread on words of the 17th century. You THINK you know what it means, when it actually means something else. So, when someone tells you their 6 year old understands it (even with a dictionary), I don't believe it.

We believe the original manuscripts were inspired and God's Word is maintained for each generation. So, a church does not have the right to say to its members that they MUST use the KJV and nothing else, because it just ain't Biblical folks. NOBODY, but NOBODY, has shown where scripture says to use the KJV and the KJV ONLY.

Inerrancy, does NOT apply to individual words that do not change doctrine. If doctrine was changed it might make a difference, but in all the attempts to show doctrinal changes in MVs, there is yet no proof. Only "God tells me this." or "I know, because God showed me I'm right and all of you other Christians are WRONG!"

Inerrancy, also does not apply to a 17th century book that was written with words that DID have the correct meanings in that century.

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

My church is an Independent, Fundamental, King James Bible believing Baptist church and we believe that it is God's inspired, infallible, inerrant, and preserved word. It is all we use, but we DO NOT force or even ask someone to believe that or use it. It is up to them to make that decision.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds much like the RCC. The RCC says what they believe but not many in their churches do.

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Sounds much like the RCC. The RCC says what they believe but not many in their churches do. </font>[/QUOTE]If it is being preached from the pulpit, I would think that is not much difference from forcing someone to believe that or use it. :confused:

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

AMEN!

Don't expect to get many of these "modern day Christians" here to do anything except attack you because of this godly stance, but do know that at least one person here agrees with what you are saying.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Uh, scuse me Terry, but your answer implies some un-Christian-like responses. "Modern day Christians"? "attack you"? "godly stance?"

Please show me the scripture that provides this "godly stance"?

12. Terry_Herrington

Well, I know what I believe and so do you. This is just something we will have to disagree about.

13. natters

natters New Member

RaptureReady said "My church is an Independent, Fundamental, King James Bible believing Baptist church and we believe that it is God's inspired, infallible, inerrant, and preserved word. It is all we use, but we DO NOT force or even ask someone to believe that or use it."

RaptureReady, how has your church chosen to express their preference for the KJV? Has your church put something in their doctrinal statement? Does the pastor ever treat it like a doctrine from the pulpit? Or is it just a general preference that is known by word-of-mouth only?

Terry, same question. [​IMG]

14. Terry_Herrington

Yes, my pastor,along with all the men, treat it like a doctrine from the pulpit and everywhere else! We are a KJVO church.

15. natters

natters New Member

Terry said "Yes, my pastor,along with all the men, treat it like a doctrine from the pulpit and everywhere else!"

Then to answer the very first question you posted in this thread, yes they have gone too far and they are wrong to do this. Isn't doctrine only supposed to come from scripture?

16. David J

David J New Member

He will not give you scripture because he has no scripture. I have asked him to support many of his claims with scripture and he runs for the hills.

Terry please post the scripture supoorting this "godly" claim.

If you preach KJVOism from the pulpit then your are forcing KJVOism upon the church.

17. David J

David J New Member

Yes Natters all doctrines should be supported by scripture in full context. Without the scriptures to support a belief many false doctrines are created by using such liberal theology.

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Sounds much like the RCC. The RCC says what they believe but not many in their churches do. </font>[/QUOTE]WOW! Now I'm compared to the RCC. Man, you really are confused.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Sounds much like the RCC. The RCC says what they believe but not many in their churches do. </font>[/QUOTE]If it is being preached from the pulpit, I would think that is not much difference from forcing someone to believe that or use it. :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]We do not preach it from the pulpit that you must use the KJB. I have been going to my church for almost 5 years now and I have never heard a sermon that preach KJBO. The only thing that I have ever heard from the pulpit is the pastor will mention that we should believe and adhear to God's word, God's word has been inspired and preserved for us today and that is in the KJB. He has never said that YOU MUST use only the KJB. Like I said earlier, that is between you and the Holy Spirit.

God bless,
    RR

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Our doctrinal beliefs are included in our statement of faith.