1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using the LXX not the Hebrew Text

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phrase "pierced my hands and feet" is NOT in the traditionally accepted Hebrew Masoretic Text that underlies ALL English and Latin translations.

The Hebrew MT (accepted by every college, seminary and synagogue today) says literally "a lion crouches at hands and feet". But the LXX (Septuagint) and the Vulgate had "pierced my hands and feet", obvious Messianic implications.

The KJV translators abandoned the Hebrew (that we would consider the MOST accurate) for the LXX alternate reading.

Found out today in a Dead Sea Scroll seminar by Dr. Flint (who did the Psalms from the DSS) that Psalm 22 in the Dead Sea Scrolls, written c100 BCE, says in Hebrew "pierced my hands and feet". PRAISE GOD. The LXX got it right, while the Hebrew text passed down through the centuries was corrupted.

And now the Dead Sea Scrolls verifies the Messianic prophecy.

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Very interesting!

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing!

HankD

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some places in the Hebrew text different from the DSS significantly, as well as from the LXX. A few of Paul's OT quotes don't match up with any of these three text sources.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I as a rule of thumb, I accept the Hebrew MT as authoritative EXCEPT WHERE it conflicts with the LXX.

It appears that te Dead Sea Scrolls agree with me.

:D