1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Using the "R" word

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jun 19, 2013.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right. That's how deep my avoidance of the blowhard known as Rush Limbaugh runs.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found that I agreed with Whoopi that originally the word was used to get rid of other ancient categories that were more offensive. However, the new term was misused in the fifties. That's where I agreed with BaBa WaWa. I also agreed that Bill Maher did it on purpose to offend.

However, I have to admit that people call me informationally handicapped because I don't know nothing. Along these lines of name calling, Hollywood made a movie a few years ago about deaf people called Children of a Lesser God. I thought that title was very offensive to the human race and to the Holy Trinity.

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I agreed with Whoopi when she said the term "retarded" originally meant "slow" and a person was not labeled thus in a derogatory manner. It just meant the one was slow. Over the years it became derogatory. I think Barbara Walters said the same thing.

Was Bill Maher right in saying what he did about the child? Yes, and No. The child is slow, which is what the word means. But Bill was using the word in a derogatory manner, to offend.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you all are still missing the point of the OP.

What Salty posted:

"Rush Limbaugh calls child of Liberal retarded."

What the actual title of the link is:

"Maher Calls Palin's Son Retarded...."

C'mon Salty, don't keep us in suspense. What's your point? That people usually don't read the links before commenting?

#24 kyredneck, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be. I know Salty has a habit of posting provocative thread titles and then embedding a clickable link inside the thread without so much as a comment of his own. After a while I find myself not even bothering with clicking on the link since Salty is not saying anything on his own, merely providing links to outside material. I can surf the web on my own, I'm more interested in what Baptists on Baptist Board have to say about things.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to think that if I had seen the thread title, I would have thought "I cant believe Rush would have said that" I'm wondering how many liberals thought "Figures Rush would have said that"

Apparently I was right- based on some of the early comments.

The point is that we often have made up our minds before knowing all the facts. How often has Obama done something and conservatives would say - boy if Bush had said that.... & vice versa.

In the Light is correct sometimes - yes, I do start a link - and for whatever reason, I do not followup (10 lashes with a wet noodle), however, if you check my previous posts, you will see that I have stated many opinions.
    Some (at least one) has mentioned to the effect that I goose step with the Republicans. Not true at all - Yes, I work with Republicans when I feel they are right. - Which is the case more often than not. Even with my own Conservative Party I do not always agree. In fact, I left the Party for about a year due to a major difference.

The point is judge each action on its own merit. Even with all the evil of Hitler, he did some good things for Germany.

I am no fan of Obama - but I will applaud him when such action is due.

I trust that this thread will be a wake up call for all of us (including me).

BTW, my goal in life is to call Rush and say 88% dittos.