1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Using the Roman Catholic Bible....

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Salty, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good luck with finding one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they do.;)
    Surely you don't mean that.
    The Koran is not the word of God.

As for the NWT, it does contain the word of God, even though I would not use it to preach to anyone as I do not like it...
    But I've looked over the the Douai-Rheims, for example, and I wouldn't have many misgivings about using it to preach to someone who had not yet believed on Christ, if I did not have a KJV, Geneva or even perhaps an NKJV handy.

In the end, it's His words that matter, not the ideas or our words:

" Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    26 that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27 that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish."
    ( Ephesians 5:24-26 )

" For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." ( Hebrews 4:12 )

" Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures." ( James 1:18 ).

" In whom you also, after you had heard the word of truth, (the gospel of your salvation) in whom also believing, you were signed with the holy Spirit of promise," ( Ephesians 1:13, Douai-Rheims 1899 ). <----- I'm not real crazy about them using the word "signed" here, as I like the word "sealed" better, but in Greek the word is "σφραγίζω" and means "marked" or "set a mark upon" / "set a seal upon", so it'll do.

Preach His words from any translation that actually contain them, and there will be some that listen. ;)

#22 Dave G, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  3. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are saved Catholics. Just like in protestant churches, some members are saved and some are not. Catholics lead other Catholics, non-believers, and even Protestants to Christ, and of course with their own Bible. As is mentioned earlier, the KJV originally contained the apocrypha. At times I have attended churches, Catholic and Protestant, that used Bibles that included the apocrypha. I prefer the KJV, and at one time owned a KJV with an apocrypha.

Before the pandemic, I attended a Catholic chapel almost every day. The chapel was next to my post office in a large shopping/office complex that included hotels and a convention center. I used to rush home from college and dump my bag and books before chapel, if I had time. If not, I got off the subway and went straight to chapel. Then I got my mail, just as the post-office was closing, then grabbed my supper at the grocery store, and finally went home to eat and do my homework. That was my routine and it was a good one.

I was baptised Catholic as a infant, but did my first communion at an Episcopal church, was saved in a Pentacostal church, confirmed at a Lutheran church, and was later rebaptised in a Baptist church, and attended all sorts of other places in between and afterwards, including Charismatic Catholic meetings with my very-saved step-grandmother when I was a pre-teen. There were saved and unsaved people in every church.

That Catholic chapel was a fascinating place, that drew people from all over the world and all economic classes. You would see doctors from a nearby hospital still in their scrubs, very very rich people, homeless people, and immigrants from the nearby hotel kitchens, visitors from Asia and almost anybody else you could imagine. I will never forget a young skinny Hispanic man in an apron with flour on it and bright red sneakers, kneeling behind one of the last back pews, praying hard about something, before he dashed back to the kitchen to finish his work. The world came to that chapel. The church was there, all of it historically and geographically.

I miss my old life so much, and the Catholic chapel is one of the things I miss most. My old neighborhood is a shell of what it was, and the building I lived in has been sold. That area will never go back to what it was. More and more of the people i know are leaving as they figure that out and leave voluntarily, or are forced out.

The Catholic chapel was there when I hit rock bottom, and didn't have my faith back yet, but was ready to listen. I needed a place to go DAILY and sometimes twice a day. It was the Catholic church that was there, every few hours, and leaving the doors open for prayer between.

I prefer the KJV, with or without the apocrypha.

4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of the people I've shared Christ with, the bible was not involved. Based mainly on my experience and what I believe about Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. Then refer them to the bible

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do understand the Chapel experience. In Manhattan, on 32nd and 10th, there is a RCC called St. Francis that feeds the poor daily and takes care of the indigent. They have wonderful spirituality. But the post discussion we are discussing can unchurched be saved? In the NE part of the country they are undergoing a metamorphosis, I saw it in my own neighborhood when a group of Baptist pastors renounced being Baptists and went around recruiting other churches to do the same. That was the death call to most IFB churches. Then everything went liberal thanks to the then Episcopal Newark Bishop Spong who promoted openly gay priests and rethinking of Jesus. A little later the PCUSA pretty much threw out the baby with the bath water and liberalized. I went in to a men’s Saturday morning Bible Study at a local Methodist church to discover the study guide they were teaching from was written by an atheist. I mean “really”

And now COVID is changing the way people are experiencing church.

Let me say right here that my local priest when I was a boy made house calls. We were a poor struggling family in those days, my dad died when I was 12 yo, my sister had cerebral palsy, little money coming in and we were in need. And that priest was there, with prayers, sympathy and help. That action helped keep us as RC’s for years. Had it not been for their pedofile priest subculture....

And all this is relevant to my fast dimming view of church in general. Now there is a Primitive Baptist Church in Florida that I have my eye on. I want to take my grandkids there and teach them about Christ, so I’m not done yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve had some success with sharing Christ with alcoholics.... but in a very non threatening way. There is a Bible that incorporates ( references ) scripture in the AA experience. But most of the Christian bookstores in the area have closed down so gotta find it on line.

Honestly I don’t know anyone who wants to here scripture without great need to hear it ie, the broken, the downtrodden, the ones experiencing life’s mess. These people are more receptive to the message.

7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I think AA has taken much from the early church in the simple house meeting days. And doesn't intimidate the needy the way the institutions do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was speaking of all of us who are against abortion on demand and alternate lifestyles being legalized!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit has even used the Koran to point out to Muslims that Jesus is far more then a prophet, and far superior to Muhhamed!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saves Catholics just as he saved any of us, but its despite their very bad theology, and once saved, need to seek out a real bible believing church to attend!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry Dave.
    I cannot find anywhere in the Bible that God uses anything other than His own words to bring His people to Him.

But if you're convinced that He does,
    then I find that I must politely disagree and wish you well.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

13. Bassoonery

Bassoonery Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about Protestant missionaries in predominantly Catholic countries? I imagine non-Catholic translations would be hard to come by, and doubt there would be anything deeply problematic about the RC versions. At least for initial evangelistic efforts where there is nothing else available, I don’t see why an RC Bible couldn’t be used. We were issued with New Jerusalem Bibles at school and I later got hold of the original French version, both of which I treasured for novelty’s sake alongside my other versions.

Personally, I regard the Apocrypha as literature of historical interest dating from a time about which very little else is known. As long as we acknowledge that they are not the inspired word of God, there is not much wrong with using them to learn about the literature and social context of the inter-testamental period. I used to work in a Baptist theological institution which used the NRSV with Apocrypha because of its perceived scholarly value, although I’m not sure if any of the students ever had to read it.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could always use a bbile that has the Kjv and the catholic version also!

Never understood why so many liked the Nrsv, as think came out of a more liberal and critical mind set, and would use ther Esv instead!

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, Trump supporters right.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should be all christians period!

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on where you live. In the U.S., the NAB (Revised Edition) is the only text that may be used in the liturgy (although the text may not be exactly the same as the NAB in order to standardize the liturgy in different languages).

In Canada, the NRSV is used for the lectionary; the churches in India, England and Wales, and Scotland have approved using the ESV-CE for the lectionary. The Aussies use five different versions, including the NAB.

But there are many other English versions that have been approved for English-speaking Catholics. The Challoner revision of Douay-Rheims was THE Bible of English-speaking Catholics for two centuries and is still approved for use; there are many traditional Catholics who hold to Douay-Rheims Onlyism, in fact. Bishop Challoner revised the original (rewrote is probably a better word); in most of the changes he was closer to the King James renderings than to the original translation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christian people don’t storm the capital building and kill cops. These Trumpites have a legacy to deal with, namely hate, violence, insurrection & murder.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all Trump Supporters did NOT storm the Capital!, nor are they hateful or violent.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Real question is how many of them were Christians?

• Agree Agree x 1