1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Van Neste on the ordinances

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Dr. Ray Van Neste of Union University (Jackson, TN) has a provocative essay on the ordinances.

The complete article is here:

http://www.uu.edu/personal/rvannest...rating Baptist Practice of the Ordinances.pdf

A couple of points I though were interesting.

In Acts 2:38 (...repent and be baptized), Dr. Van Neste says baptism is designed to demonstrate one's belief, and thus "believe" could be used there in place of "be baptized."

He applies the same interpretation to Paul's baptism in Acts

Dr. Van Neste holds that almost all references to "breaking bread" ini the NT are references to the Lord's Supper. From there, he concludes that the early believers observed the Lord's Supper almost every time they met. So he advocates a weekly observance. And it should be done at the end of the morning service to serve as an evangelistic witness to the lost who are present.

I'm interested in the reactions of BBers. Certainly made me think.

Thanks to RL Vaughn for linking to this on his website. http://baptistsearch.blogspot.com/

#1 Tom Butler, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

A great article on the ordinances! Thanks for sharing it.

1. Recently, I listened to a sermon by Dr. Piper who makes the same argument for baptism, calling for us to follow the NT example of immediacy and affirmation of faith.

2. Van Neste is dead on here with baptism. He powerfully argues that repentance and faith were followed immediately by baptism. He is right. Who can read the Acts narrative and disagree?

3. Great observation on walking the aisle. I never liked the idea. Yes, sad to say, has become a replace. There's no denying that. Faith in Jesus showed be followed by baptism immediately.

4. Interestly, I was reading the first four chapter of Acts in the NLT today, and they translate "breaking bread" in 2:46 as the "Lord's Supper," clearly showing that it was done daily. I know scholars have debated that one for years.

5. But I object to his use of 20:7 to show frequency. I will grant that the infinitive is one of purpose, but we need to keep in mind that Acts is a historical narrative.

6. Luke was only documenting what happened that particular first day of the week when they were in Troas. It would mean that because I had coffee on Wednesday, August 8 at Starbucks that this established that every Wednesday I have coffee at Starbucks.

7. What in Acts 20:7 conveys the idea that it must be every first day of the week?

8. I thought he should have quoted Justin Martyr and Pliny the younger at this point, then he would have really bolstered his argument for every first day of the week.

9. John Calvin wanted to observe the communion every Lord's day. George Mueller did at his church.

10. Overall, it's great stuff, esp. on baptism. :thumbs: