1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VBS 2003

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, Apr 19, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread so move it if it doesn't fit!

Our church is doing "Kingdom Caper" for our VBS this year and it's June 9-13 during the morning hours.

I'm the Craft Director and we expect to have between 400 -500 kids. Bro. Jack (Minister of Ed) thinks he's going to pull out pre-K and younger and keep them in their own stations with their own music and crafts because we had such a large number of 4 year olds last year. That would leave me with about 300 kids at least.

I need craft ideas that don't cost any real money. (I'm tight with the Lord's money!) I've got some ideas and some set in stone but could sure use some help.

One craft suggested is sheep made out of cardboard, covered in yarn with a google eye and ribbon around the neck. I've asked the older ladies in church to save me their yarn scraps in tan, white, and other off white colors.

One craft I found is a Scottish Terrier picture frame. I've got the template (approx. 6" tall) but am needing to decide what to make him out of. I'm considering foam but have never used this. He'd be black with a pompom nose, google eye and a plaid ribbon around his neck. Someone with a polaroid would take photos of the kids for them to insert right away.

On Thursday, when the lesson always gives the plan of salvation, I'm doing a salvation bracelet. It's made out of a thin clothesline type cord and 6 different colored beads. The Girl Scout Troup that meets in our church has offered to cut the cords and put the needed beads and the paper with the plan of salvation plus directions/ explanation into baggies for me.

I'd like to do a craft with a magnifying glass theme but my mind is blank. I've got enough CD roms collected but have no idea how I would use those. I've thought of doing a Sherlock Holmes style hat, too. I've written the lady off www.makingfriends.com and asked her to design a 'Friend' who looks like an English Bobby or a Detective 'Friend'. She said she would but hasn't posted it yet. Something to do with Big Ben, Double Decker Buses, other English themes?

The stories are all about character. Ruth 1-2; Genesis 13; Genesis 26:23-33; John 19-20; and Philemon are the Bible references for the week.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Everyone!
    Diane

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

We're doing the same VBS, I think the week before you are, we do ours at night,we get more workers,and more kids. We have, including our k's and 2 and 3 year olds, about 110 kids avreage. I teach grades 1 and 2, which will usually be about 22-30 kids. they come in to me for about 45 minutes and then move on to another area. Not sure I think our VBS is about 21/2 hours long and that includes the 30 minute worship time.
    Crafts, no ideas for you since I haven't done kids crafts in years. But you can do searches on the inter net for bible crafts, sunday school crafts and find a lot of stuff.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

http://www.lifeway.com/yourvbs/

I've got lots of links to kids crafts but most of them use things that you can't collect from church members. The ladies last year spent a LOT of money on crafts and we don't want to do that this year. The money can be better spent on salvation tracts or the Bibles we give each child that attends.

Here's a link for a double decker bus.
    http://papertoys.com/britishbus.htm

Here's one for Big Ben!
    http://papertoys.com/bigben.htm

I've got a lot of links for little kids if you need any.

Mmmmmmmmmm Jim LOVED those ribs! Thanks for the recipe, KateB!

Diane

[ April 19, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

4. kandibear2801us

kandibear2801us New Member

Kingdom Caper must be the latest VBS because our church is doing it also. As far as inexpensive crafts I am not sure.. You might ask all the Sunday school teachers of successful things they have done in the past and I know the older ladies in church used to teach Sunday School in the earlier years you might get some great ideas from them. You can make egg carton flowers, resurrection eggs if I think of anymore I will post them! Good Luck and God Bless

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Diane,
    we think of our VBS as being a mission in our town. We are on mission with kids are as our focus. When we spend money on crafts, it is our mission to the kids we are spending money on. Plus we use the ones from the VBS book, which are part of the lesson each day, the craft lady talks with the kids as they are working about the lesson they had, and how this is part of the story and how it relates, so that where ever they go that night they have their lesson focus, and when they take it home they have a reminer of the gospel story they learned that night. Plus then, most parents will display their chiilds work, even if they are not a church going family, so then they have bible stories and the gospel on display. So our mission effort of the crafts goes in the home too. Crafts at VBS are not a waste of money, they are as much a part of missions as anything else is.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Terri who owns www.makingfriends.com has designed an outfit for use with Kingdom Capers! It's going to be on her website by early next week. You print out the little Friends and then choose the clothes to go along with it. The cost for 400 kids will only be the cost of the card stock paper for that craft.

The Scottish Terrier picture frame will be my most expensive craft and will cost about $70. for 360 kids. I'm thinking I can do 3 Terriers off each foam sheet at 49 cents a sheet!

The salvation bracelets are going to cost about $12.00 for 500 bracelets! The local Girl Scout troup is going to cut the cord, tie the middle knot, divide the beads and insert everything into a baggie with the salvation message and directions.

The Love Reminder Sheep will be out of cardboard with donated yarn so just the google eyes and some ribbon.... pretty cheap. I'll be cutting out 400 sheep out of some cardboard I've saved.

These all go right along with the stories being taught. The bracelet will be on Thursday because that is always ABC day. Wednesday is always highest attendance day so I probably will do the detective/ English 'Friends' that day to control cost.

When you have SO MANY coming.... it can be very expensive. We always feed all the kids and their relatives on Friday afternoon, have moonwalks, jugglers, games, etc. that day too. We also give EVERY child a Bible on Friday.

Diane

7. kandibear2801us

Diane I would like to hear about these Salvation bracelets if you could clue me in with what they are.. We have children church at 10:30 on Sunday mornings and we do a drawing for a prize out of the treasure chest and I think that would be a neat thing to have in there a lot of times there is toys and candy but I think that would be neat to donate to put in there. Also I told one of the ladies that I want to help with Vacation Bible School, I hold this time of year very special because when we first moved 2 years ago they had VBS right after we moved and my children were invited and they had a family night at the end and that is when I first came to the church that I am a member at now.
    Jessica

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

HI Kandi,
    I found the info and got a free sample bracelet with the directions and salvation info off
    www.oakgrove-baptist.org

You can easily just read and copy from there too.

Diane

9. kandibear2801us

That's really neat I think I may make a few of those for the treasure box and maybe get the supplies for us to make some in VBS! They are so simple!