1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VBS

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by bruren777, Jul 22, 2005.

1. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Vacation Bible School is over, these past 5 days were
    good, the children were eager to learn and had fun with the games. Five of the children expressed an interest in accepting Jesus as their Savior. My wife intended to talk to them while the others were outside playing,she would answer any questions they had and explain anything she could.

One of the older women of the church told her not to do that, the pastor should be the one to talk to them.

My question is: where is the witnessing if we have to talk to the pastor, what about The Great Commission ?

I'm not trying to take the pastor out of the picture, but he has many responsibilities and he wouldn't feel slighted if a Christian whom isn't a pastor led someone to the Lord.

I think there are too many people with too much time on their hands so they try to run the church.

What kind of message does that send to children ?

2. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

What a wonderful blessing. Hindsight is always 20/20. I would suggest that both your wife and the pastor talked to the children. In that way, everyone is part of the experience.

When I was led to the Lord, both my Dad and my Pastor were in the room. I would not have had it any other way.

Thanks for posting.

3. west

west New Member

I think if your Pastor thinks your wife is capable to teaching VBS then he would think she's able to lead a child to Christ and answer questions in the Bible ! Isn;t that what VBS is ?
    Maybe I am wrong ?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm 54 and have actively witnessed for MANY years, being saved at age 8 and I've led many adults and children to the Lord.

When our Nick, last year during AWANA, came running to me to say he'd been reading his verses during book time and had gone into another room and prayed and asked Jesus to be his Savior, I found someone to take over my assignment and took him to our Assoc. Pastor who questioned him about what he'd done, what it meant, etc. (even tho Daddy and I had shared with him but NEVER pushed him to make that decision) and then prayed with him, thanking Jesus for what had happened in that other room.

Why did I do that? Since it was MY own child and I'd wanted it for so long, I didn't want to be blind to any questions or misconceptions and 'think' all was well, misleading him and myself. If it had been YOUR child, I wouldn't have felt the need for the other person. I will add, tho, in our church the pastor talks privately with everyone who is a candidate for baptism, no matter their age or background so it would have taken place at another time. [​IMG]

God Bless your wife! See all the troubles you had with health, etc., the week before! Satan didn't want you and your wife to participate. What a blessing you would have missed!

5. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Thank all of you for the words of encouragement. My wife is blessed with the gift ministry to children and youth. June of 2000 after our youngest sons wedding we were all sitting outside a little boy whom had never seen my wife came to her and hugged her and said"my momma died last night", she just held him while they both wept. The boys father confirmed that his wife went home to the Lord the night before. When we taught youth Sunday school the youth related to her.

Thank you for your words about satan, he wants to destroy any link to opening the eyes of children to the Glory of the Lord. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

As pastor, I told our VBS workers - who by the way have already developed a relationship with the child where I haven't - to lead them to the Lord if they could, and call on me when I'm needed. There are many that are comfortable sharing the gospel message without my help, and for that - PRAISE GOD! For others who are less comfortable, I'm happy to help them lead that child to Christ.

One of the best examples of it was when one of our youth-leaders came to me and said, "so-and-so's" ready, I think. Knowing that this young man knew how to present the gospel, I told him, "go to it." And he did - and for the first time in his life, he led someone to the Lord.

If I'd have insisted on seeing the kid myself, I would have robbed him of an important lesson in faith, as well as a tremendous blessing.

(And of course I talked to the kid myself later!)

7. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

I really cannot understand why someone would try to keep a Christian from leading someone to the Lord. We are all commanded to do it, and it is one of the great joys in this life. Seeing another person accept Jesus as Lord of their life is really what life is all about.

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

All very true. However, I think it is wise for the pastor to follow up at a later date.
    I have been in too many settings where very well-intentioned people did not really lead someone to the Lord, although they thought they did.
    One church years ago comes to mind. 20 plus kids. Easy believism at its worst stereotype.

Karen

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I wish we could hear the pastor's side of the story here so we could make a full and fair assesment of the situation.

10. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I don't understand this. Is it because she is a woman? Is it because they think the pastor needs to be in charge of everything spiritual? It seems rather un-Baptistic.

11. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

-------------------------
    C4K,
    From the OP it seems that the pastor does not know this is going on, just some busy body sticking their nose in where it shouldnt be. Not entirely uncommon.

12. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

No, it's not because the person is a woman(I should not mentioned their gender)thats not relevant. If I said it was a man would that be any different?

This sounds like the 70s when you had to be careful of what and how you say things, lest you step on some toes.

The point being that said PERSON made the aforementioned comment.

I saw the pastor this afternoon and asked him if he would mind if someone led a child or anyone for that matter led them to the Lord. He said:"I would NOT mind if someone led a child or an adult to the Lord"

There are too many people with too much time on their hands.(my statement) :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

13. Petrel

Petrel New Member

[​IMG] No one's toes are stepped on. I asked if it was because she was a woman because some people have rather extreme interpretations of Paul's teachings on spiritual leadership and the sexes. I have never heard anyone say that a woman shouldn't teach children, but perhaps some might think that a salvation decision warranted a man's attention.

I still don't understand why she was told to talk to the pastor, though.

14. Karen

Karen Active Member

I don't know the other woman's real motivations, but as I referenced earlier, maybe she had some bad experiences and wanted to make sure the Gospel was presented correctly.
    In my opinion, it is just as well to assume that she was acting out of concern rather than just being a busybody. That doesn't imply anything negative about your wife at all.

Many people in my church witness and lead people to the Lord. However, there are numerous times, especially with young children, that there is follow-up by the pastor or someone else.
    Certainly when someone wants to be baptized and join the church.

Our children became Christians at home, but we also had them talk to the pastor.
    It's not because someone is a woman or not trusting them, it is making sure that the new Christian really is a new Christian, not just confused.

Karen

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

-------------------------
    C4K,
    From the OP it seems that the pastor does not know this is going on, just some busy body sticking their nose in where it shouldnt be. Not entirely uncommon.
    </font>[/QUOTE]All the hmore reason to talk to the pastor and see if this was his policy, or the busybody.

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The pastor should not be the only one witnessing.

17. Karen

Karen Active Member