1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Veggie Tales

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Aussie, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Aussie

Aussie Guest

I am currently researching into Veggie Tales. Does anyone have documented & factual info about "Big Idea's" founders, purpose, etc.?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I taught at an ifb college in Minnesota. We were in the same conference as Crown College of St. Bonafacius (Christian Missionary Alliance College - not much on standards or separation, but folks there truly love the Lord).

The two young men who started VeggieTales were students at Crown. Many of their friends helped in the initial work. Now, of course, they have a multi-million dollar facility for producing their work.

Rumor had it on our campus that these guys spent so much time with the Veggie idea that they got kicked out of Crown. Don't know.

But they sure have a ministry niche that I don't have . . . :rolleyes:

3. Joy

Joy New Member

They are currently at work on a new feature length film to premiere in the theatre :eek: gasp! :D

My sister-in-law just got back from a ladies retreat where Paul Vishcer's mother was the speaker. She mentioned never to squelch your child's imagination. She never in her wildest dreams thought his doodling little vegetables and giving them faces, would turn into Veggie Tales in his adulthood!

4. Aussie

Aussie Guest

It's hit mainstream with a lot of force, but there is little to no mention of Jesus Christ and the gospel, etc. They want to "positively impact the moral and spiritual fabric of our society" but they don't want to be "preachy" according to their webpage.

5. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

Aussie...thank God for veggie tales!!!! Why must everything have the salvation message in it? Why can we not teach children in a pure way biblical morals and standards?

Veggie Tales gives children a great imagination and teaches wonderful morals with scriptures to back the stories up as well as funny songs...its all pure and moral...why anyone would have a problem with this is totally beyond me because not only have they been able to reach children but also many teens too. -dar

6. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

I have small children and they love veggie tales. It teaches them Bible truths in a really fun way and they have added some "silly" things just to encourage the use of your imagination but that is ok. I think it encourages young children to realize that the Bible and learning God's word is FUN!!!! YAWHOOOO!!! God's Word is exciting. The Biblical truths they are teaching are from the Old Testament. There was much prophecy about Christ but He did not actually come to earth until the New Testament. Maybe they thought it would be irreverant to make Christ into a vegetable.???? I don't know but the things they do have for kids are great!!!!

Cyndi :eek:

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Baptist Mom ]

7. Aussie

Aussie Guest

I believe that I asked for any documented and factual information about Big Idea Productions and VeggieTales. I am not looking for an argument. I also have young children, and I know enough of my Bible to know that just because something comes along that looks right on the outside and is accepted by "Christians" doesn't mean it's godly, scriptural, and glorifies the Lord. If anyone else has information regarding this topic, I would be pleased to hear from you!

8. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I apologize in advance for this Aussie ;)

If you like to talk to tomatoes, if a squash can make you smile, if you like to waltz with potatoes, up and down the produce aisle.... then have we got a show for you!

VEGGIE TALLLEESSS VEGGIE TALLLLEESSS VEGGIE TALLLEEES VEGG-IE TALES

LoL

Kathy
    <><

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Kathy ]

9. Baptist Mom

Baptist Mom New Member

Aussie,

Are you saying that because something teaches the Bible on the children's level and puts in some imagination for fun that you think it is ungodly and unscriptural?

What makes you think that the Lord is not glorified through this? Just because we may not agree with everything in the program does not mean that it is not teaching the children Biblical things and good morals.

I am not looking for an argument just wondering exactly where you are coming from.
    You would allow your children to watch other kinds of videos without wanting to know all about those who created them wouldn't you. And if it is not public knowledge why is it such a big deal??? I just don't understand.

The only thing I do have a problem with is that they don't use the KJV Bible.

I am not saying these things to start a contraversy or argument but I honestly don't understand where you are coming from.

Cyndi

10. MagicDar

MagicDar New Member

For the record, I'm not trying to start arguments either, mine was mearly questioning what was wrong with veggie tales and does everything have to contain the step by step gospel?

I am happy Aussie that you are searching into it as a parent, I have no problems with that, I guess I was just trying to figure out what problems you might have with what you've already seen about veggie tales.

Baptist, heheh pleeeeease do not take offense at this,,,,but they don't use kjv? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hehehe some people just want everything!!!!! I'm just kiddin with ya ok ;) -dar

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Although I think that Veggie tales is a good thing and a positive thing, I don't think it necessarily is a thing that is at a child's level. It is really geared towards teens, though children enjoy.