1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vehicle Question

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Reformed, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of my vehicles is a 2011 Ford Escape Limited with a 3.0L V6 Duratec engine. I bought the vehicle with 67,000 miles. It now has 184,000 miles in the span of 31 months. I use the vehicle for work, so I do rack up the miles. The interesting thing is that I am still on the same set of brakes from when I bought the vehicle. I have driven nearly 120,000 miles without a brake job. My driving is equally split between city and highway. I am not the most gentle of drivers, so my Escape has really gotten a workout. Is it unusual for brakes to last this long? My previous vehicle was a Toyota Camry and I needed new pads every 50-60,000 miles.

What do you car experts think?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know but I bought a 2019 Ford Escape last year, and I use it for work. This gives me hope.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The lifespan of a given set of brake pads is dependent on a very wide set of variables ranging from personal driving style to the impersonal laws of physics. Mechanics and manufacturers have a loosely agreed upon mileage range from around 30,000 to 70,000 miles (48,280 to 112,654 kilometers), but stories of pads lasting a mere 100 miles (160.9 kilometers) to an astounding 100,000 miles (160,934 kilometers) abound...."

How long do brake pads last?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've never kept track, but as a manual transmission driver who takes pride in 'engine braking' awareness, I've no doubt I've exceeded 150k on brake pads before.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Driving in Central Florida there is a combination of operational heat (heat caused by friction in the braking process) and ambient heat (outside temperature). With all that heat you would think pads would wear out faster. I asked my mechanic why my brakes are lasting so long and he just shrugged his shoulders. Hey! I am not complaining. I am thinking of selling my Escape and switching to a small SUV with better gas mileage like the Toyota RAV4. But so far the transmission and engine have operated without any trouble. Plus, how can I forget about the "magic brakes"?

• Like Like x 1
  6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems like an unusual number of miles on a set of brakes. Easy way to find out. Have you looked at the disc pads? How much material is left on them?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah. They are almost down to the indicator, so their time is almost up. I am just amazed they lasted this long.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be the hand of the Lord! You may want to rename her "The Faith-mobile"!

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Should I buy a pair of white robes and a pointy hat?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

10. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Having worked on cars all my life, doing brakes is a simple task, there are many things a mechanical minded person can still do on today's computer enabled cars.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually the brake pads are measured and when they wear down to a thin measurement, they should be replaced.

12. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are American cars so lousy? I blame the government for mandating so many mpg that companies just use any flimsy cheap part. The UAW spends all day assembling junk. An American car should last 250,000 miles. Who car afford to buy a new car all the time? Electronics are too complicated and how can all those sensors and computer chips last more than about 15 years outside in the weather? Engineers seem to be more and more impractical. Who wants a keyless car or a car that turns off when you stop at a traffic light? Hybrids and electrics should not be subsidized because they are too lousy to compete. Why can't we get full sized spares inside the car?

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    American cars do last 250,000 miles

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because people have so few flat tires!

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're not. They are better than they have ever been.

With proper maintenance they can. And proper maintenance now means twice as long between oil changes.

They are encapsulated in epoxy and put in watertight containers. They last longer than rubber components, chain components, belt components.

I do. Who wants to burn gas while you sit there not moving? If you don't like the car turning off at stop lights, switch that feature off.

Subsidies have been ramping down for years and will be gone after 2020. Electric cars are improving every year. Electric cars have only about 20 moving parts in the drivetrain compared to over 200 in a gas powered car. Pretty soon they will be cheaper to make than gas powered cars. Then people will decide between an electric car they can charge at home (possibly never go to a filling station again) and is less expensive than a gas powered car, accelerates faster, can be used driverless, and has virtually no maintenance. Won't be long and gas powered cars will no longer be produced solely based on market forces, not government subsidies.

They add weight and take up space. Why do you want a full sized spare? You planning on driving on it for more than 200 miles?

16. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have learned a lot about cars from Scotty Kilmer. He has a great YouTube channel. He does not have a high opinion of most American-made cars (Ford trucks are his exception). I have actually saved myself some money by taking his advice.

17. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brakes last a very long time now. Especially if highway miles.

18. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you talking about GM or Chrysler?

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which ones are you talking about?