1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Veni, vidi, vici, as it applies to growth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by agedman, Sep 12, 2021.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This Latin phrase attributed to Caesar in 46BC by a contemporary historian of that era.

Prior to the late 1800’s a dominant theological perspective was that the Christians would gain greater and larger authority until being the final foe to Christianity was conquered and at that time God perceiving the work of evangelism completely finished by Christians would then return and would in some manner usher in the new heaven and earth for eternity.

Much work in missions and social reforms was done during this time.

World War 1 and 2 messed up this theological view although there are some that still cling to that thinking.

I wonder if Caesar’s statement could be used for both the church and growing older?

When I and the church were both young we came forth and thrived in everything new.

As I and the church grew up, we both saw need to establish practical principle (doctrines) from which should never be deviated.

Then we both set about to conquer, not just in our back yard, but to the uttermost parts of the world.

Taking a line from a tee shirt, I forget.

And now, I and the church have become more forgetful. Forgetting the first Love, the first joys of service, the first stirrings of devotion. Rather, we both chase the need for diversions and entertainments. We have both exchanged reality for fiction. As a result, we no longer fit together. The togetherness that we once held dear has been shattered by the shallow of no longer being viably worthy to run the course.

What of your own experience with the modern church?

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t profess to know, nor do I like the modern church. It’s the Primitive Baptists that I am partial to. Scriptural, Christ Driven and devoted to the Trinity (and family)

• Like Like x 1
  3. kathellen

kathellen New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for this information!