1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Verbal Speech of God

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SGO, Sep 18, 2020.

1. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now we have the living word of God in print:

1Peter 1:23

Being born again,
    not of corruptible seed,
    but of incorruptible,
    by the word of God,
    which liveth and abideth for ever.

But in Acts 2:4

And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost,
    and began to speak with other tongues,
    as the Spirit gave them utterance.

they were speaking the word of God audibly.

The audible speech is all in the past, right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The Acts 2 reference is to proclaiming Jesus as Savior: That is, proclaiming the gospel and that will continue until Christ returns.

peace to you

3. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So the Acts 2 proclamations were not supernatural in and of themselves? Where did all the people learn all these foreign languages (not glossolalia)?

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the Acts 2 event supernatural. The Apostles proclaimed the gospel in languages they had not studied.

I misunderstood your question. You are asking if people today proclaim the gospel in languages they do not know, correct?

peace to you

5. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. Although it narrowly could be, yes. What I am really asking is if God speaks audibly today, in 2020.

We may "hear" His voice when we read the scripture but the hearing is thought in the mind, yes?

Or we may "hear" his voice through a sermon, the speech of a person that God uses

but I am asking if He speaks out loud either, narrowly, though people

or with His own voice, as He did when He said, for example, "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." Matthew 3:17 ,or,
    "... And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him,'Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?'" Acts 9:4

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I understand. God can do whatever He wants. I would not say God won’t or doesn’t audibly speak to people today.

I actually have met folks who claim they heard the voice of God. They actually said, “ I heard His voice as clearly as I hear yours right now”

I was (and continue to be) skeptical though I don’t deny the possibility they are hearing voices. The test, in my mind, would always be consistency with scripture.

If what the voices say are inconsistent with scripture, then mental illness or demonic influence could be the cause.

peace to you

7. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a number of questions which I probably have tried to roll into one topic but generally it's about how we "hear" and how God speaks to people.

I know the sword of the Spirit is the word of God and it can be "heard" when someone is audibly speaking or when reading "silently".

Also when going though daily activities, praying, or meditating people get guidance by "hearing" either thoughts or audible speech.
    The thought part I readily accept but audible voices are not really within my experience.

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Revelation 3:20
    This one is not audible, right?

However, He did speak audibly in OT and NT times.

There will be shouting and the voice of the archangel in the future:

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel..." 1 Thessalonians 4:16

"And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither." Revelation 11:12

As the above poster said we don't want to limit God but try to test the communication to see if it matches the scripture.

8. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many cognitive activities send electrical impulses to the tongue.

Part, but not all of this activity, has been termed subvocalization.

Here is an abstract from a linked article:

"Abstract and Figures
    Some of the most fascinating feats of cognition are never witnessed or heard by others, yet they occur daily in the minds of software developers practicing their craft. Researchers have desperately tried to glimpse inside, but with limited tools, the view into a developer's internal mental processes has been dim. One available tool, so far overlooked but widely used, has demonstrated the ability to measure the physiological correlates of cognition. When people perform complex tasks, sub-vocal utterances (electrical signals sent to the tongue, lips, or vocal cords) can be detected. This phenomenon has long intrigued researchers, some likening sub-vocal signals to the conduits of our thoughts. Recently, researchers have even been able to decode these signals into words. In this paper, we explore the feasibility of using this approach and report our early results and experiences in recording electromyogram (EMG) signals of software developers performing programming tasks. We believe, these techniques can shed light into the cognitive processes of developers and may even provide novel interactions in future programming environments."

Scroll down for complete article: (PDF) Subvocalization - Toward Hearing the Inner Thoughts of Developers

"My sheep hear my voice,
    and I know them,
    and they follow me."
    John 10:27

9. SGO

SGO Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  10. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not speak audibly to us today, in so many words. The Holy Spirit does guide us into acts of righteousness bearing his fruit (see Galatians 5:23-24 and Titus 2:11-14).

Some may have special discernment in some cases, but the idea is to be grounded in God's Word and working toward spiritual maturity to know how to use the gifts given us.

I would not trust anyone not properly grounded in God's Word to give instruction, and especially not "inner voice" guidance, beyond the encouragement to become grounded in the Scriptures and gain spiritual maturity. Philippians is a good text on that.

11. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Electrical impulses in our brains can be associated with certain activities while we are also thinking. They are hypothesizing that they can figure out, through experiment, feedback and training, how to use these for the benefit of those who are paralyzed. But they admit that the entire concept is extremely complicated. This is a far cry from mind reading.

There is a huge difference between detecting something like "I thirst" and "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all unto me."