1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Very Very Very Depressed Preacher needs prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by GodsRealTruth, Mar 13, 2006.

1. GodsRealTruth

GodsRealTruth New Member

I am very very depressed and cast down right now. I have had 4 or more churches seriously consider me as pastor and even to the point of voting only to cast me down. All of them tell me they believe I am their next man of God and then lead me on a few weeks only to eventually cast me down. For example, this past week I had one in Arkansas call me to preach last week, and the search committee was even telling me the vote was a formally that everyone was praying for me. This morning they call me to tell me I was shot down. I have many others ask me to preach only to never call me back or let me know anything. I have felt God really wanted me to Pastor most of these churches, and have felt most of them were not following God's will. I have even went as far as to volunteer to be an Associate Pastor to get some training only to be shot down.

I am supposed to preach at a church this coming Sunday, but I am seriously considering calling them and cancelling. I must admit I am having serious thoughts of not pastoring or preaching anymore, but I know that is not what God wants.

I have to admit I am very frustrated, irritated, and depressed about the whole system pastors have to go through to find a church. I will be the first to admit the messages I get from my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ tend to step on a lot of toes. I am a very old style type of preacher who preaches a tear-filled hell fire and brimstone message a lot of times. It is the type of messages the Lord gives me. I have to do what he tells me. I am one who gets straight of the truth. What is very depressing is I see a lot of preachers who are preaching a "psycho babble" getting a lot of churches. While the ones who are preaching the truth of God's word is sitting still waiting for a church to serve God.

I know the devil is attacking me cause he always does. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Please pray for me and my family as I get on my knees and ask God to help me.

2. standingfirminChrist

Will be in prayer for ya.

In the meantime, do not cancel that upcoming sermon you are supposed to preach.

This could be the church that God would have you to pastor. But even if it is not, if you feel God has called you to preach, preach.

If you can't start a church right away, preach where doors are opened and don't try to close them yourself.

We are living in a day where many are not wanting to hear the messages that are geared toward 'judgment for sin.' Sadly, this is spoken of in the Bible and many churches are giving in to seducing spirits.

Stand firm. The only time a soldier should remove his armor is at night. God does not His children to be children of the night.

Don't go AWOL from the calling God has placed on you. If He called you, He is going to use you. But He will use you where He would have you go.

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

David encouraged himself in the LORD: do thou likewise.

It may be time to re-evaluate you desire to pastor and consider what it is God is telling to tell you. Why, you already admit the devil is trying to stop you!

Our armour is designed and fashioned by our Lord, the ONLY time we are not to be advancing towards the battle, no "night-time" rest, is to flee youthful lusts, then it is when we are to bare our cross daily.

When at first you dont succeed, try, try agin.

REFIRE! there is no room to turn around in a narrow path. If any man turn back he is not fit for the work of God! Agonize with God! Spit in the devil's eye and claim the Blood of Christ!!!!!!!!!

4. Salamander

Salamander New Member

BTW, sure I'll pray for ya, but you're the one who needs to be doing the praying!

5. mima

mima New Member

GodsRealTruth: Your post is very encouraging to me about what your condition is before the Lord. I see you fulfilling the calling on your life. I believe your depression and frustration are tools the Lord is using to shape you in to what he would have you be. Be encouraged, the feelings I have described to you, about you, have come very seldom in my life.

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Are you sure someone who doesn't like you isn't finding out where you are being considered, and torpedoing the vote? Think it over, prayerfully. Don't point the finger unwisely.

7. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Maybe it the hellfire and brimstone thing. Try focusing on what God will give them when they are saved rather than what will happen if they fail to accept him. I think the image of hell is self-evident.

Fear-mongering never works for me. I run away from it myself. Follow Jesus' lead and preach love and people will follow you.

My Grandfather went crazy when he got old and started seeing things. He got paranoid and thought people were going to kill him, so he had so much anguish that he killed himself.

Now, I'm not Catholic so I believe he was saved from his sins. But, this preacher at his funeral, gave a sermon about how those who commit suicide were going to hell. Not a loving choice.

Try finding the courage to preach what Jesus would have, and the congregation will follow.

I will pray for you. Meanwhile, try listening to God's voice. I'm sure you have read the Bible looking for the answer, but the Holy Spirit will guide you if you clear your mind and meditate.

Prayer and Meditation,
    Your Brother

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

GodsRealTruth

I believe that if a preacher preaches Jesus Christ and Him crucified that it is spiritual meat for the saved and condemnation to the lost.

May the Lord be with you in your time of trial!

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Lift your feeble hands up and bless the Lord!! He is watching out for you----suppose one of those churches would have "called" you---only for you to get there and discover its the wrong place?? Buddy, would you ever be sorry!!!

I wouldn't be half as worried about a church NOT calling me----as I would be worrying about a church I knew was fixin' to fire my sorry self---at least you're not in the same boat as a bunch of preachers preaching for the last time in the church their at!!!!

10. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I don't feel all that sorry for you. If your so certain God called you to preach then go start a church and quit whining. If your so cast down how did you find enough strength to put down other pastors and what they preach?
    Your not the last man standing when it comes to preaching the whole council of God.
    I'm sorry but it sounds more like your on a pity party to me rather than depressed. I speak with credibility on that issue. E-mail me if you want details.
    Also, you can be called without getting some formal training. I totally believe that. Yet it sounds to me like you need a year or two of Bible College somewhere to get headed in the right direction. Maybe a good dose of humility wouldn't hurt either.
    I went and read your post again while typing this.
    Call me judgemental if you want which according to your posts you seem like you know just what everybody's heart is that is preaching?
    You don't have to wait around to find a church like you said. Like I said go prove your mettle. If God called you then start a church. Or are you just looking for a little flock that you can DRIVE instead of LEAD? Plenty of places to start a church or preach on the mission field. Preach down at the nursing home the county jail, rescue mission etc...

"I'm the only one left Lord doing your will"
    "I'm the only prophet you got left Lord"

Elijah had a pity party one time just like you. Go read that passage,pray over it etc... See if you don't get a different perspective on your plight.

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

GodsRealTruth said:
    I have felt God really wanted me to Pastor most of these churches, and have felt most of them were not following God's will.

Obviously, they feel differently. Please explain to us why your personal feelings ought to trump the constitutions of four churches.

Why would you "feel" that God "wanted" you to pastor most of those churches? Is God so feeble that he wasn't able to arrange for you to pastor just one of them?

I must admit I am having serious thoughts of not pastoring or preaching anymore, but I know that is not what God wants.

How do you know what "God wants"? And how do you know that your failure to be called to pastor a single church is not evidence that what God wants is not what you feel God wants?

12. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

GodsRealTruth: The Bible tells us to lift up a brother in prayer. I see no benfit from bashing you or causing more doubt in your life. I know the Lord says it is an honorable vocation for a man to choose the office of a preacher so don't get discouraged, don't let the devil chip away at you, stay humble, stay out of the way and follow God, and pray for wisdom to recognize God's leading. You know the answers to all of your questions and frustrations are to pray and seek the Lord's face so by posting here you are seeking either affirmation or an excuse. I choose to give you affirmation and have added yu to my prayer list and the Lord will open the opportunities as he sees fit. Don't rush God but be ready at any moment and get all the experience you can. Preach in a prison, nursing home, etc. and keep your sword sharp so that you may be ready and be victorious!

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

ShannonL, you make some extremely good points, here. While I have your attention, let me suggest that you check your private messages, while I'm thinking about it.

GRT, there is some wisdom in what some of the brethren and 'sisthren' have been saying from all across the board, here. And I'll pray about this situation, as well, as some others have said. There well may be a problem of vision where some of the churches are concerned, as well. In fact, this would seem to be the case- one 'vision' is not the same as the other. One of my closest friends started a church in Chicago about 35 years ago. Today, that church has services broadcast in multiple locales, has one of the largest Christian schools in the area, a substantial child-care, and is home to a Bible College, among its ministries. That from his vision to start a church. Two members of Congress are or have been among the members, including the Speaker of the House. Just be sure that the question of vision is not too myopic, for that might be the problem, from where you are. I notice an interesting thing, here. In all the posts on this thread, as this is written, including this one, as it is written, eleven individuals, including myself have used some form of the word "I" or "me" some 41 times, not counting quotes. One used those words eleven times, in a fairly long post; the other ten a total of 30 times collectively. The OP used the words at least 44 times. Think about it.
    In His grace,
    Ed

14. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The southern part of the United States is full of people who believe that they have been called to preach but who have not yet gotten a good university and seminary education and are not yet prepared for the pastoral ministry. I don’t know for sure that you lack these things, but your post very strongly suggests that you do. I do know, however, that if God calls a man to preach, when the man is prepared to fulfill his calling, God opens the door for that man to preach. Unfortunately, however, some men choose to enter a different door and wonder what went wrong.

[​IMG]

15. standingfirminChrist

A man who is called to preach does not necessarily need to have a seminary or university education.

There have been many wonderful preachers through the centuries who did not go to seminary. My uncle was one of those men. He could preach hell hot and heaven beautiful. He could speak volumes from the reading of God's Word.

It is wrong to say just because a man has not gone to a seminary he is not qualified to preach. In fact, a man who relies on the Written Word of God, prayer, and the leading of the Holy Spirit can be more effective than many if not all college and seminary graduates.

16. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The gifts and the calling of God are without repentance.So if you are called to be a pastor stick with it.In the meantime prepare yourself as well as you can.Study,pray,study,pray,then study and pray some more.
    I will pray for you. Do not be discouraged.Remember Gods' timing is always perfect try not to get ahead of him.

It would be nice to know a little about your preparation for this task. Could you give us a little background.That way we can pray more effectively.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are absolutely right. There are seminary graduates who do not know God simply because that is their choice. They are lazy.

There are many selfish, uneducated, lazy men who claim God has called them who are waiting and have not discipled anyone on the way. There are many ignorant men preaching from pulpits and do not know the many mistakes they make because of their ignorance. Those pastors who follow a pastor like that know what damage ignorance leaves.

I would much rather listen a man who is well studied, who has made many disciples and is a proven leader than those who are ignorant and are good orators. I have never once met a man who was busy making disciples who was ignorant. But I have met many preachers who are ignorant. If a man will take the time to learn, there will be no excuse for ignorance. Ignorance comes as a result of laziness.

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

That's right ignorance can be overcome but stupid lasts forever.

19. standingfirminChrist

20. atestring

atestring New Member

God cares,
    Elijah got depressed but God came through for Him.
    God will take care of you also.