1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Veteran Told to Buy Own Purple Heart Medal

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by KenH, Aug 19, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is ridiculous.

Aug. 17, 2007, 6:59PM
    Short of Purple Hearts, Navy tells vet to buy own

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

PEARLAND — Korean War veteran Nyles Reed, 75, opened an envelope last week to learn a Purple Heart had been approved for injuries he sustained as a Marine on June 22, 1952.

But there was no medal. Just a certificate and a form stating that the medal was "out of stock."

"I can imagine, of course, with what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan, there's a big shortage," Reed said. "At least, I would imagine so."

The form letter from the Navy Personnel Command told Reed he could wait 90 days and resubmit an application, or buy his own medal.

After waiting 55 years, however, Reed decided to pay $42 for his own Purple Heart and accompanying ribbon — plus state sales taxes — at a military surplus store.

- www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5061221.html

2. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Why did it take so long for him to be awarded the medal anyway. He should have had it long before there was a shortage. You would think the government could have bought the same medal he did.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a lot of ineptness in this world that we just have to overlook.....from the government, the church, our own families, and our own selves.

However, to me, this is not one of those matters to pass over. I am pleased that he did not act indignant about it all. That is a testament to his character and his living out the biblical proverb, "It is to a man's glory to overlook an offense."

But it just plain out makes me irritated.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

When I earned my shooting medals and ribbons in the Navy, it took me a while to get them because it was not common for squids to earn them. It took an effort. I had to fill out paperwork, wait on permission, go to an Army base with a rifle range and weapons for me to use, get one of their instructors to fill out the paperwork, then turn it in, only to be told that they weren't even aware that those were available for the Navy. I got my stuff about a year after I was discharged. Government channels and all that.