1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Veteran's Day, Today

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Nov 11, 2011.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

I took today off for Veteran’s day. The plant ran, but I took it as a vacation day. My kids were out of school today too so I am spending time with them. We just got back from a run to Wal Mart. It was crowded.

The cashier told me they had been swamped all day and then asked me, "Is today a holiday or something?" I told her it was veteran's day and she asked, "Is that a real holiday?" They guy behind her chimed in with, "only if your work for a bank or the government." My heart is heavy for all those who don't remember, don't care, or never did.

I don’t expect people to praise me or thank me for my service. A few old brothers in arms and I exchanged our thoughts already today. I didn’t wear a veteran cap or anything today. But I am dismayed at the masses who not only don’t care about the sacrifices made for them, but don’t even seen to notice or remember.

I found out yesterday a classmate of my son’s ships out Monday after thanksgiving for Afghanistan. Will he be missed while he is gone? Appreciated when he returns? He will by me, but will anyone else even notice?

Sorry for the pity party. I know you folks on here are probably going to post a lot of “we remember, we are proud of you, thanks brother” and all that. You don’t need to; I know most of the members here do remember. It is not you that make me fear for my country. Even those of you with widely opposite political views than me, you still care, you still remember. Someone who cares can be educated, but how do you make people care?

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I definitely remembered, lol. I went out on a three day mission starting on Veteran's Day. We missed the VD BBQ being hosted at the DFAC! My buddy got blown up his second time in 2 months the day after. He's ok, btw. But I won't forget VD.