1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vice Presidential Pick Predictions

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 19, 2008.

1. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Could you please explain how Huckabee was soft on crime? If your referring to the ad that Romney put out about the meth dealers.... it was a half truth. Huckabee did reduce the percentage from 70% TO 50% of the sentence he would have to serve - so he reduced penalties. BUT sentences served were actually longer than those served in Romneys State. His reason for reducing the sentences was prison overpopulation. He also carried out the death sentence many times. Soft on crime? I can't think of anything more HARSH than the death penalty. I try to look at the facts and not the hype I hear in the press, but maybe you know something I haven't heard yet.

Also, what 'liberal' economic policies? What higher tax rates? They were the same rate when he left office as when he came into office from what I have read..... not heard..

2. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

Sorry you misunderstood me. This is according to KenH's viewpoint. I simply don't agree with him. I know Huckabee is a true conservative period. :thumbs:

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

The only canidate for president that doesn't turn my stomach from either party is Duncan Hunter. IMHO he is the only real conservative in the race. Of course he is going no where and should drop out soon. Does anybody see him as a potential VP canidate? Could he or anyone else deliver California for the GOP (He is a rep from San Diego). It seems like Texas is a lock for the GOP and NY and CA are locks for the Dems. That is a lot of votes to not even be in play.

I heard rumors that Sonny Purdue (Current Gov. in GA) might be a VP candiate for the GOP. Anyone else hear that?

4. redbelt

redbelt New Member

I was impressed with Hunter too.... not sure why his campaign went nowhere. If McCain or Guiliani get the nod and they don't have a conservative running mate.... I will probably sit it out. I hope Huckabee will be considered.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Potential Democrats - Govs. Bill Richardson (NM); Tim Kaine (VA); Michael Easley (NC); along with Sens. Barak Obama (IL); Bill Nelson (FL); Jim Webb (VA); and Evan Bayh (IN) would be in my idea of a "best list", depending on who may get the nomination. Short list would start with Bayh, Obama, and Richardson.

Potential Republicans - Gov. Mike Huckabee (AR- former); Mitt Romney (MA- former) Tim Pawlenty (MN); Mitch Daniels (IN); Haley Barbour (MS); Sonny Perdue (GA); Rick Perry (TX); Charlie Christ (FL); along with Sens. Fred Thompson (TN- former); Mitch McConnell (KY); Tom Coburn (OK) would be on my short list, depending on who may get the nomination. Short list here is Huckabee, Romney, Thompson and Coburn.

Neither of my lists has any validity, just my opinions. We'll see just how far off I am. Best answer is I really have little clue, just speculations.

Of course, I would have never guessed on either Dick Cheney and/or Joe Lieberman in 2000, either, although I might have guessed Edwards for the Democrats for 2004.

I just hope we don't get another Spiro Agnew or Geraldine Ferrarro on either ticket. Although some others haven't exactly been real top-flite candidates either, over the last 40 plus years. Personally, I think of William Miller and James Stockdale in this regard, who while both were undoubtedly talented individuals, still were not exactly household names.

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't know about Feingold, but I'd say there is less than absolutely no chance of Arlen Specter running for VP. He is already 77 years old and has been diagnosed with advanced Hodgskin's Lymphoma. Even though he appears to be doing fairly well after his treatments, I suspect this will be his last term in the Senate, with him retiring at the end of his current term in Jan. 2011, when he will already be almost 80.

Ed

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hunter was my 1st choice also, so now I'm hoping for #2 spot for him.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

If McCain wins the nomination, I could see him selecting Mitt Romney or possibly Guilliani. I don't think it would make sense strategically for him to pick a Huckabee or Thompson. McCain would do well in the South without Thompson or Huckabee. Adding Romney could possibly help elsewhere. A McCain-Thompson ticket would be two senators with no administrative experience. Romney, on the other hand, has administrative experience.

If Romney wins the nod, then I think he definitely looks to the South (Thompson, Huckabee or someone else - maybe Jeb Bush???) for help. I could also see a Romney-McCain ticket.

If Guilliani wins, then he surely will need to pick a conservative and more southern candidate to offset his liberalism.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I cannot see it being Jeb Bush. I have been and am a 'fan' of Gov. 'Jeb' Bush, far more than I am or ever was of Pres. George W. Bush. However, I think that the perception of a good number that Pres. George W. Bush has not been the best leader (whether this be real or imagined) has effectively ended any chance of 'Jeb' Bush ever becoming either the President, or "one heartbeat away" from the office.

At the earliest I could envision even any possibility of this is 2016, by which time 'Jeb' will be 63. Another drawback is, I believe he is prohibited from holding the office of Governor, again, and will have been out of that office for 9 years by that time, with little of the accompanying notoriety that goes with such an office.

"Out of sight; out of mind!"

Ed

#29 EdSutton, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008