1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Video games

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MRCoon, May 1, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

the simulation games are my favorites, too. My kids love Zoo Tycoon. We play that together sometimes.

2. samarelda

samarelda New Member

I think video games, like anything else, can be sinful in many ways. The game itself may be super clean and it could even be "christian" I suppose. However, I have found in my kids the tendancy to eat, sleep, drink and totally live video games unless they are strictly limited. They can be an enjoyable, fun thing, but they can also be a great waste of time. There are so many other better things to do.

I became alarmed last summer when my youngest son, then 6, became a living video game. He wasn't allowed to play even every day but he still became obsessed with it. Every picture he drew, every conversation, every move he made was about a certain video game he played. It was all he thought about. That was when I put strict limits on it. I truly believe that if I had not changed things, he would not have accepted Christ in March. How can a little boy think about the things of God when his every waking thought is about a video game? Just my thoughts.

I limit my kids to one hour each week and they have to earn that hour by getting all their school, music practice, and chores done every day. If they miss even one thing (on a normal day) they lose their game rights for that week. I also don't let the other kids watch while another is playing otherwise they would be sitting there in front of the thing for 4 hours. This has stopped the total obsession with video games. They enjoy their hour, but it is a very small part of their life now that it is limited.

Video games are not a problem for me--I could care less and only tried one game once--4-wheeler racing--I couldn't even stay on the road and kept hitting trees :rolleyes: . I, however, could spend all day every day on the computer because I just love "information". Nothing wrong with information, but it is not right for meto spend all that time on here. I could also read books all day--and that too would be wrong. I found myself spending way too much time here on this board and had to force myself to back off. For me, it was becoming sin as it caused me to neglect more important things.

To sum it up I guess I would say that anything that becomes an obsession could fall into the category of sin. There is so much out there to distract us.

3. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I like the Battlefield series, I play 1942 and Vietnam, but like playing BF2 the most. I am a mamber of an online gaming ministry, Men of God - www.menofgod.us. We have family-friendly servers, and use TeamSpeak to share the gospel and have weekly online Bible studies.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like anything else, it can be both beneficial and sinful. If VGs take too much of your time, ya might take that into consideration and plan accordingly. but remember, there's no Scriptural admonition against having a hobby or recreation.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

ooh video games. i dont have a system. i only have my laptop here.

umm. i dont work... yet. i just go to school. which requires little studying (surprise? not for me. its an overall easy course... i mean... our only exam in the last two months was only five questions... and half the marks were for if you answered the question even if you got it wrong or not... haha.)

anyways. since i got so much time on my hands. and right now its about mid 30's celsius for temperature... well. i got my fan - and sittin here playin video games... or guitar.

i love age of empires. the strategy. the third one is amazing.
    also love playing need for speed: most wanted. amazing again.
    guild wars: factions is ok.
    ever heard of the game "Fable" ? i have the extended version for PC...
    many of you probably wouldn't like it... its got alot of killing... stealing... umm... hmm. hasn't effected me though!

a game i just got is: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones.
    pretty amazing fight scenes. all around great platform game.

the only game that's affected me is Need For Speed... i dont plan to smash into cops or go 200mph. haha. my truck wont get past 190Kmh... let alone mph...

but i do drive fast. havn't got any tickets though. got one warning.

all in all. moderation is a must for video games.

:D