1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

View from the election from Europe.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I expected many people here are stunned, happy but stunned, by the Obama's victory. They will now have to reconsider their view of America. Here is an interesting quote from the London Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5084748.ece

From Deutsche Welle

So some research on your own and see how the world is reacting.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am in the middle of it. People are extatic, but when I ask them they don't know why.

3. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

It's the cult of celebrity, no more, no less. The media here have been pushing Obama almost as if we had a right to vote. He is America's very own Tony Blair, charismatic and attractive with lots of sound bites and rhetoric covering over his real policies. Good luck! (if you believe in luck:))

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A typical view form over here is at least you now have a President who can string an intelligible sentence together. But I guess you could have had that with John McCain...

[ETA - I think it's fair to say now that most people over here do feel safer knowing that Bush is leaving the White House and Obama is entering it; the latter will be better for the planet, and I think he'll be better for America too on the whole]

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CK4, my take is they are extatic because of their great fear of G. Bush staring WW III and all being destroyed. Here in Prague I have had numerous students over the past 4 years say that they considered G. Bush the most dangerous man in the world. There must be some Europeans that like Bush, but so far I have not talked to a single person who says they like or admine him.

Recently I ask a man from the Neterlands what would the people there feel if Obama was elected. His response was, "We will start to breath again."

I am not saying they are right or wrong ... just reporting what I have expereinced here in Europe.

6. givengrace

givengrace New Member

They're Happy over in Europe and other parts of the World because they ALL know they're going to be getting all our jobs. Cause when Obama (if he lives to see office) by raising taxes on companies will force more jobs to be sent over seas. And the smaller companies will just close going under. I hope that when there are no jobs and we all are forced to live on welfare there's enough to go around.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you REALLY think that jobs will be outsourced to Europe? Come on.

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "ruled by a black man"

Uuuh when did we become a monarchy? Missed that one completely. Silly me. you UKers need to read a little more, we have a president not a king and we had two candidates in this election not three as one of you pointed out on another board I read on :laugh:

BBC was wall to wall black interviews this morning as if we were a totally black nation - missed that one to.

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And the smaller companies will just close going under."

A friend I saw yesterday knows many businessmen in the area that will see taxes go up that have told him if Obomba wins they will be laying off their employees and go back to a one person business rather than put up with the controls/costs associated with the government.

We are going to grow our small business alright.

Obomba says he is going to make loans available to small business - he didn't say but it looks like, to pay their new taxes :laugh:

10. givengrace

givengrace New Member

I don't really know where they will go just THAT THEY WILL GO!

11. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

They do seem to be a bit Obama-biased, but we will have to keep an eye on both Mr. Blair and Mr. Obama, there could be some interesting times ahead.