1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

View on Antidpressants

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shell, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shell

Shell New Member

What is everyone's view on antidepressants?

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

If a physician prescribes an antidepressant for a specific reason and need it should be taken as something provided to bring relief to certain symptoms.
    Any prescription has abuse potential, some more than others. They should be taken as ordered with an awareness of any side effects and the physician kept informed of progress and response or lack of.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I think they are very useful to help someone who is dealing with a major crisis in life during the time that they are trying to work through the specific issues involved. I know people who take them because of feeling stress as part of daily living, and I think that is misuse of them.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I suspect the sick will give you the answer that they are needed because for them they are and I suppose the non-sick think they should all be thrown away. No one likes to have to take any kind of medicine but if you live long enough you will take it, I can assure you of that. Believe me it is no fun when your health leaves you. Your mind still wants to work and do things, build etc., but your body just won't let you and it can be very depressing at times.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Do you mean morally or medically?

Morally, I believe that the Bible is clear that, if you're sick, then you need to take your medicine.

Medically, as somebody who's on a combination of Lexipro and Wellbutrin, I thank God for them every day.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

They're little. They're hard. Sometimes they're white, and sometimes they're yellow. Sometimes they're round, sometimes they're oval. I saw a triangle one once.

They usually have to be swallowed whole.

You usually can't take them with other MAOI inhibitors.

You probably should take them at the same time every day.

Some can be sprinkled on food.

They come in a variety of different doses. Sometimes you might be perscribed 30 at a time, sometimes 60. Maybe even more. Sometimes less.

That's my view, and I dare you to change it!

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The best anti-depressant is an attitude of praise lifted up in the morning, sprinkled liberally throughout the day, and poured out at bedtime.

9. Shell

Shell New Member

The reason I am asking- my doctor prescribed them for me. I am on the fence as to whether I really want to take them or not. I hate medication. I am already on enough for HBP and Diabetes at age 31. I will admit that I have been severely depressed for a while- some recommend exercise- for go the meds. Others recommend the meds. This is why I am confused.

10. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I would love to say an attitude fix would solve all the problems but the truth is Depression and Anxiety is sometimes caused by a Chemical Imbalance in the brain and the right medication is a life saver. Keep talking with your Doctor and let him/her know how you are feeling so it can monitored. If one doesn't work then there are other medications.

God gave man knowledge and it is up to us, with guidance, to use it right.

Use the medications correctly and use your pastor, friends and if necessary a couselor to help you through this time.

Diet and Exercise are they key, both work in combination, someday you may not need the medications. For now use both if it helps. Again keep talking with your Doctor.

No shame in becoming healthy.

You are in my prayers
    :praying:

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Shell, like I said, I'm on Lexipro and Wellbutrin so if you have any questions about those, feel free to PM me.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Some depression is caused by events in life, but not all is, some is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. That is beyond a persons control, it is an illness. To say that these people do not need medications is irresponsible at best. Thats like telling a heart patient they don't need medication, what about high cholesterol, or high blood pressure, just eat right, diabetes same thing, no need for medications, because people who aren't doctors believe you don't need meds.
    Giving out medical advise(like throw away your meds) without a license is illegal.

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4114.html

http://www.enotalone.com/article/4119.html

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's because of attitudes like we see on here that some people in the christian community do not seek medical treatment. They know they are going to be belittled, ridiculed, and told they aren't spiritual or aren't following God, that medications are a sin.

I went to church with some friends long ago when I was a new christian, and that preacher told people they needed to throw out their blood pressure meds if they believed in God.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Good post Donna. I agree. Some times medication is beneficial. Scientifically it has been proven that chemical imbalences do effect a person and can cause depression.

15. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Depression can be a very serious and threatening condition. Taken something to give relief is no different than taking Penicillin for pneumonia and all things available as prescribed should be considered as from the Lord for our benefit. God bless!

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, reminds me of some who will not take their children to the doctor when they are seriously ill and they die.

Luke, chapter 5
    "31": And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.

Jesus taught us better than that!:thumbs:

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Shell, I give you this advice from the perspective of personal experience.

My husband also suffers from HBP, diabetes and extremely high cholesterol(we're talking numbers over 1000). With everything going wrong chemically in his body it was bound to affect moods. He thought he was handling it. I couldn't stand to be around him and the kids were afraid of him. It wasn't until he got to the point to where he didn't like himself that he decided he had a problem and added an antidepressant to the mix. The effect on all of us was amazing.

Personally, he went from complete couch potato after work to being able to hold a conversation and play with the kids (who quickly lost their fear of him yelling at them). The shift to a more positve mood led to greater physical activity which led to weight loss which dropped his blood pressure to the point to where he no longer takes medication for it (a low salt diet and exercise keeps it down). The weight loss also led to better control of his sugar.

All this didn't happen overnight, so don't expect it. It takes time for these types medications to get into your body and begin working. It takes more time for you to realize what effect a particular med will have on you (the first one might not be for you) and whether or not the side effects are worth the reward. But, if the first one doesn't seem to be addressing the problem you are taking it for or if the side effects are too great, there are others you can try. Don't take the failure of one as proof that they all will fail to help. Everyone's brain chemistry is just a little bit different and one formulation might help where other's have failed.

18. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been on antidepressants over two years, and they have helped me.
    You've received some excellent advice in the above post. It is 100% true.
    "It is better to light a candle, then to sit and curse the darkness"
    Feel free to PM me any time. You're not going thru this alone, even though it might feel like it at times.:thumbs:

Rob

#18 Friend of God, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  19. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I have been on 20mg or lexipro for about a year and a half. My doctor says that I have a chemical imbalance. I tried to go off them after I got straightened out . I had to go back on it.
    I have accepted the fact that I will probably be on them the rest of my life. I was one of those people who would be critical of believers who took anti-depressants etc... Until I was brought to a point in my life that I had no choice. I was always a upbeat, extrovertic,people person. Yet for an assortment of health issues this depression or imbalance or whatever was brought to a head in my life.
    I was always either real upbeat or pretty low. So whatever is in this medicine it has balanced me out. I do exercise daily.
    During my dealing with this problem I was never out of fellowship with the Lord or nothing of the sort. It wasn't a "spiritual" problem. Grant it folk who do fall into sin such as adultery or some type of sin that has really messed up their lives and those around them yeah they can get depressed,strung out etc... and it is because of the double life they are leading. Yet there are those who suffer from bi-polar disorder and clinical depression etc... that for whatever reason are chemically imbalanced.
    So like anythingelse in life you simply have to do what is best for you and your family and not give a rip what ignorant people say.
    I have already experienced tremendous blessings by sharing my problem with selected individuals who I thought might be having the same struggles. Empathy will open alot of doors to share the Gospel.
    I have also found that people who make light of others who have been prescribed anti-depressants are usually people that may have a problem themselves and putting others down is a form of denial for them.
    Are there illegitimate reasons for taking anti-depressants? Sure I believe there is as I mentioned earlier. For some at the root of their depression, anxiety etc... there may lie a spiritual problem but for others it is simply a way to make up for a chemical imbalance.
    I live in northeast Ohio. I have for six years. Other than Washington state ohio has more cloudy, rainy days than any other state in the union.
    Hence no less sunshine less serotonin being produced in the brain. This is just one example of what can cause depression that is not remotely related to one's walk with God.
    One thing is absolutely sure. If you have never experienced this kind of problem you have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. Your judgment,critique whathever will be way off base. I know, I have been on both sides.
    So for those of you who suffer with clinical depression, chemical imbalance etc... do what your doctor says and forget the critics.

20. Sister Robin

Sister Robin New Member

Would you question whether a diabetic should take insulin?
    Should people with high blood pressure take medicine for that? (if needed)

Depression is no difference. It is a disease, just like diabetes. You cannot just "get over it", any more than one could just "get over" diabetes.

Most don't understand the effects of depression unless/until they have experienced it first-hand. It is often a debilitating illness, and can literally immobilize you! (I know, first-hand).

Depression effects different people in different ways, but many have lost jobs because of it, lost families, committed suicide, etc. Many have become completely house-bound, unable to get out and face people. Hard to grasp that, until you've seen it. It is very real.

Insurance covers it. If it helps you keep focused, stay active, get up and go to work, etc. (which it has for me), then why wouldn't you?

#20 Sister Robin, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.