1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Violence: Mandy Patinkin

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Gina B, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've never seen the show he's talking about, likely because I do not understand why anyone would WANT to watch anything violent. We have enough sadness in our world.

I am quite impressed with what he said, and very relieved. He must be a rare person indeed. I'm interested in checking out his bio and learning more about this person!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/emmys/mandy-patinkin-big-television-regret-162856586.html

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the question violence in general, or violence in television?

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It sounds like Patinkin meant television.

For me, my thoughts are based on violence not being entertainment and as far as television, since violence is not good, why would people want to make more of it up? I don't want to watch it on television OR see it in real life.

I can understand the value of historical re-enactments or the portrayal of violence in terms of teaching people about history, training soldiers or others in charge of safety, etc., but just do not grasp why people would watch these things for entertainment value. Why is violence entertaining? Surely most everyone has lost someone to a violent act, been treated violently at some point, or witnessed it in real life. Doesn't that trigger bad memories for them? For those who haven't, doesn't it leave them feeling sad, depressed, and/or angry over the violence?

I don't get how people become insensitive to it. It's so...well duh...violent. LOL That's the only way I know how to explain it and I know most people don't think that way, but I feel traumatized half the time just by reading the news. It sickens me. Why would I turn on the television and watch more of it?

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

He is a very talented actor and a very insightful and sensitive man. My wife and used to love to watch Criminal Minds. It did not show the violence in progress often but it was dark and intense. He left the show because of how dark it is.

You probably don't recognize him now but he was Inigo Montaya on Princess Bride. Famous for searching for the 6 fingered man who killed his father. If you have the DVD you can watch the cast interviews as they reflect on that movie.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] I absolutely adore Mandy Patinkin and love anything he does. And who can forget his Inigo Montoya?

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

#5 Scarlett O., Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the greatest lines in movie history; supported by his final words with Count Rogen:
    Inigo Montoya: Offer me money.
    Count Rugen: Yes!
    Inigo Montoya: Power, too, promise me that.
    Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please...
    Inigo Montoya: Offer me anything I ask for.
    Count Rugen: Anything you want...
    Inigo Montoya: I want my father back!
    (well...there's a little more to it than that, but I think we can do without the extra words....)

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We watch Criminal Minds regularly. It is not about the criminals but about the men and women who hunt down serial murderers, rapists and child abusers. It suggests the violence but seldom shows the violence.

He is a talented actor who brought a compassion to his character. But the part he didn't say was that they were filming and broke for lunch, but he never came back and just quit. He's done it to several other shows such as "Dead Like Me" and a medical show whose name i forget. When he loses interest, he just stops showing up.