1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VIRGIN MARY

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by RaptureReady, Oct 19, 2004.

1. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Just a curious question about the Catholic religion. Does the RCC teach that Mary was a virgin at Jesus' birth and then remained a virgin afterwards, indicating that Jesus was her only Son?

Thanks,
    RR

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

3. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Thanks Diane. I wonder why they teach this when the Bible shows that Jesus had brothers and sisters.?

Thanks and God bless,
    RR

4. natters

natters New Member

Because "brothers" and "sisters" in scripture can sometimes refer to extended family, i.e. cousins, etc.

5. stevec

stevec New Member

Almost all pagan religions include both a god and a goddess, the idea of only one supreme male God was unacceptable to the Roman pagans. When the Christian church in Rome joined with Roman paganism in 384 A.D. to form the RCC they needed a virgin-goddess figure in order to convert the pagans. Thus, the myth of Mary's ever-virginity was born.

HTH

6. natters

natters New Member

stevec said "When the Christian church in Rome joined with Roman paganism in 384 A.D. to form the RCC they needed a virgin-goddess figure in order to convert the pagans. Thus, the myth of Mary's ever-virginity was born."

Actually, the Protoevangelium of James (120 A.D.) talks about it, as does Origen (248 A.D.), Athanasius (360 A.D.), Epiphanius (374 and 375 A.D.) and Jerome (383 A.D.).

Protestant Reformers such as Luther, Calvin, Zwingli and others also believed in it.

I personally don't see what difference it makes. [​IMG]

7. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I believe it was in 1854 that an official papal declaration of Mary's immaculate conception was made (but I'll have to check my facts when I get home!). At her conception she was cleansed from original sin so that she could carry baby Jesus.

But the idea that Mary was perpetually virginal is quite old and by all accounts does NOT derive from the needs for a pagan goddess.

8. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Really, can you show were?

Thanks,
    RR

9. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Actually the RCC believes that immaculate conception means Mary was born of a virgin ,and that she was born without original sin. Also, that Mary lived a life of sinlessness, that she was lifted into heaven, and that she did not die.

10. natters

natters New Member

RaptureReady said "Really, can you show were?"

Lot is called Abraham's "brother" (Gen 14:14) even though he was his nephew. Jacob is called the "brother" of Laban (Gen 29:15), who was his uncle. The daughters of Eleazar married the sons of Kish (their cousins) but the Bible calls these cousins "brethren" (1 Chr. 23:21–22).

Other instances where "brother" does not even necessarily mean a literal relative:

Matt 5:22-24, Matt 7:3-5, Matt 12:50, Matt 18:21, Acts 9:17, Rom 14:10, 1 Cor 1:1, etc.

11. Charles Meadows

"Actually the RCC believes that immaculate conception means Mary was born of a virgin ,and that she was born without original sin."

No this is NOT what the RCC believes. If you're going to put words in someone's mouth then at least make sure they are correct!

The RCC believes that Mary was born of 2 human parents, in the usual way. She was immediately cleansed from original sin (from the beginning of her "animation") - this is viewed as necessary for her to have carried Jesus in her womb.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

That is incorrect. To follow that line of logic, the grandmother would have had to be a virgin, great grandmother, etc...

13. natters

natters New Member

I don't think the RCC teaches that she did not die, but only that she was assumed into heaven (without specifying whether she had died or not).

14. Rooster

Rooster New Member

this is a link that explains alot of what the catholics belive about Mary, and how to witness to them.
    Why Mary is crying

15. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1 Where in the word does it say that Mary did not have original sin

#2 Where it the word does it say she remained a virgin for her whole life

#3 Why would she NEED to remain a virgin for her entire life OR be cleansed of original sin?

My bible does not portray Mary as a member of the trinity. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit comprise 'God'. When the Bible says 'you shall have no other gods before Me' I think that includes Mary.

16. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

I know that the Catholics believe that Mary was a perpetual virgin. But in Matt 1:25 it says that Joseph did not "know" his wife until after the birth of Jesus.

It also does not make sense for the Lord to sentence Joseph to celebacy since he intended sex to be between a husband and wife.

17. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed... 'TILL' means that it happened, but not before she gave birth to Jesus.

Indeed... Joseph wanted to divorce her, but the Lord convinced him not to. Therefore, their union was blessed by God - and sex is part of marriage (if you look at the definition of marriage in Genesis, anyway).

18. Charles Meadows

Rooster,

I don't think I'd rely on Chick for anything, especially facts!

:confused:

19. Rooster

Rooster New Member

well too bad for you :(

20. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Please,

Chicklets is a crack pot