1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vision or Mission Statements

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Dec 15, 2007.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does your church have a written vision and/or mission statement?

If yes, would you mind sharing?

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

We have a Statement of Faith (setting out what the church believes), and a church constitution, which sets out what the church exists for, and how it is "organised". Would that be what you mean by a "mission statement"? I have not come across a church that writes down visions (Some Charismatic churches may do, I suppose) :) .

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

More and more, I've seen churches (non-charismatic) have written vision, purpose, and/or mission statements. This is normally in addition to a written statement of beliefs.

Here are a few from various churches in our area (names removed to protect the innocent), taken from their web sites.

Our Vision -- Know Christ, Serve Christ, Share Christ

OUR PURPOSE
    To introduce people to Jesus Christ and help them grow to be like him by cultivating relevant environments towards life change in Christ where people share Christ personally, love God passionately, grow together intimately, serve strategically and extend God's love locally and globally.

Mission: As disciples of Christ, we are called to help people experience the love of God. Vision: We believe that God
      • saves us by grace through faith
      • calls us to service
      • empowers us by the Holy Spirit
      • nurtures us through worship, education, service and fellowship.
    I was wondering if other churches represented on the BB had such statements and if so, would you be willing to share?

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Oh, not "written visions" in the sense of somebody claiming to have had a vision and writing it down. :laugh: I was being encredibly stupid when I read your OP - sorry!
    In answer to your question, no, our church doesn't have a mission statement like that. However, our Statement oif Faith and our Constirution could be summarised in similar ways.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

One interesting thing is that those three I've listed are from three different denominations -- one Methodist, one Baptist and one Lutheran.