1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Visit to SWBTS Today.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RG2, Feb 8, 2013.

1. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Morning all. Well today I begin my quest to deciding where to do my seminary at. I'll visit Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary today. Unfortunately I've been battling a bit of illness (Flu then Sinus Infection) so I'm not at 100% health. However, I'll try and post anything interesting I might come across when I'm there. I probably won't find out anything interesting and nothing that hasn't already been discussed here. Especially since every school puts their best foot forward on these types of things, but I figured I'd put this little post in anyway.

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

I would love to hear your analysis of the seminary after visiting.

3. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I have to admit I enjoyed my visit to SWBTS today. One thing really surprised and actually shocked me, especially coming from my background having worked in and around colleges before, was just the simple friendliness and good manner of everyone who was there. This good manner was evident in everyone from the other students, to faculty, to even the janitorial staff. Dr. Patterson himself even took time away from his busy schedule to talk with us and pray for us as we were there.

Now to the nitty gritty.
    Preachinjesus said in a previous thread the following.
    That's pretty much the feeling that I got. Patterson admitted himself that academics was the #5 thing on his list for what he wanted a student to accomplish at SWBTS.... though he very much stressed the importance of it. Just the goal is to train up ministers of the faith that grow closer to God during their tenure at SWBTS.

I have to admit, is this the SWBTS of old? Probably not. There are a number of younger professors there that have yet to cement themselves in the history of the school. However, I do believe that it is still a fine school. Albeit one that might have lost some of its former luster, but is working to restore that.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think that is an honest and balanced view of things. Thanks for the update, my prayers on your decision and journey. :)

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope they are on the rise again. And it is good to have the ministry focused element. Glad to hear that one could point to one of the 6 (though I'm sure there are others) in the SBC as the preaching school.

6. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Thanks for the review. Good, positive things. I was intrigued to read what Dr Patterson said about academics. Interesting. I agree that it is important, but not the most important. Refreshing stuff.