1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Volkswagen commercials w/Brooke Shields

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Speedpass, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I think about them:
    1) Brooke hasn't gotten over her post-partum depression, and she is using that as an excuse to accuse couples of having a baby for "German Engineering."
    2) They may be hiding a subtle message about having children out of wedlock.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Those are the most ignorant commercials I have ever seen. Saying people don't love their children, but are using them to get what they want, a stupid german car. Brooke Shields needs to go home and take care of her child and stay away from cameras.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Well-----ummmmm----DonnA

I wouldn't say that Brooke needn't ever never set face in front of a camera ever never again:saint: :saint:

But I would agree with you---the commercials are stupid and makes Brooke sound like some idiot with a negative IQ

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Guess it's too late for the McCain campaign to use Ms. Shields in an ad for recruiting bus drivers for the "Straight Talk"Express," isn't it? :tonofbricks:

(And, no, I didn't vote for Obama either! I voted for Baldwin - Castle 2008.) :thumbs:

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

blackbird, if this is the best acting she's capable of then she needs to go home and stay there.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Brooke Shields needs to be taken to a deserted island with it's own "Blue Lagoon" and fade away into obscurity. I have never had respect for any actress that has done the things she has.

Well that pretty much weeds out most all of Hollywood's actresses. I believe my Grandmother used to call them "Harlots" and "Jezebels."

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's a stupid commercial, but

1 -- Brooke didn't write the copy, she's only the actress so don't blame her.

2 -- You're still talking about a Volkswagen, aren't we? I guess their marketing folks aren't so stupid after all.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's intended to be frivolous.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I've no respect for Brooke and never had any respect for volkswagen.

Volkswagen is synonymous with anything Nazi as well as the hippie movement. It is no wonder that they would promote an anti-cultural ad campaign.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You're kidding right???? As StephanM said, it's meant to be frivolous. It's silly. It's stupid. Of course, no one has children so they can be a certain type of car. From an ad standpoint though, it does it's job --- it has people talking about it.

Regarding Ms. Shields, I think she's a very good actress and I appreciate the way she stood up to Tom Cruise's scientology antics.

VW's have an excellent reputation, though I think they are a bit overpriced. I checked out their Passat last year. Very good car, but they wanted $33k for it.

BTW, World War II was over 60 years ago. The Germans are no longer our enemies and the "hippie movement" ended in the 60's.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Brooke decided to make the commercial didn't she, was she forced, or did she chse it?
    if she chose it, and was not forced, then yes she si to blame for her own stupidity.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Brooke Shields appeared fully naked in a mid 70's movie at age 12 called pretty baby, she was a prostitute. I can never had any respect for someone like that, not to mention the other trash she's chosen to do. I guess her acting skills are so bad she has to take whatever she can get.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I thought the goal of a commercial was to get people to buy the product, not talk about it. It means nothing to the company if all you do is talk about it, they make no money unless you buy. And this commercail and stupid Brooke Shields would make me not buy.

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

That is ridiculous.

VW makes a great car. I drive one, and would not hesitate buying another.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Do the history, Hitler designed a "People's Car" Volkswagen.

Look it does not matter to me what car anyone buys. I was just reminding everyone about the history. A VW is a very fine car as far as I know. €njoy it.

shesh!:rolleyes:

And Werner von Braun designed the SaturnV that is my avatar.

#15 Palatka51, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I think the commercials are funny. And, that's exactly what they are supposed to be. The whole notion is absurd but it's good advertising. It must work because it generated a thread on the Baptist Board.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

Do they pay millions of dollars for commercials only so people will talk, or so they'll buy? If their spending big money just for talk they aren't getting much for their money.
    The commercials are ignorant, give a low view of motherhood, and tell children their mothers may not love them, think of children whose parents may drive one of those, and the company advertising telling those kids mom doesn't love you she only wanted our car.
    Nothing but total ignorance, and I would never buy one of their automobiles because of this commercial.

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

When I read threads like this, I understand why so many people feel that Christians take themselves to seriously, are overly judgmental and have no sense of humor. I am not saying this is a great commercial, but it is nothing to be outraged about. What a waste of energy.

Also I can't believe some of you are harboring such harsh judgment over something someone did about thirty years ago as a young child, instead of feeling pity for her that she was put into that position by her mom. Her mother was calling the shots, she was a little kid.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Defend sin if you wish.

20. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No kidding. We have enough legitimate concerns that we don't have to bother with searching for things about which to be offended.